Memory at 70%. DP running slow. Kernel Task...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Memory at 70%. DP running slow. Kernel Task...

Post by mikehalloran »

7/29/16 10:18:33.000 AM SpotlightNetHelper[438]: [SLSUGGESTIONS] Location managed failed with error Error Domain=kCLErrorDomain Code=0 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCLErrorDomain error 0.)"
Do you have an iPad or iPhone?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1409 ... in-error-0
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stratology

Post by stratology »

wonder wrote:OK!!! So I just opened DP for the first time today and during launch I saw these 3 error messages in CONSOLE....

1. 7/29/16 10:26:30.468 AM Digital Performer[619]: Error loading /Library/
As it's saying /Library and your issue only occurs in your user account, this message is irrelevant, and most likely harmless.
wonder wrote: Any leads here?
You didn't mention deleting prefs.
stratology

Post by stratology »

mikehalloran wrote: I like to repair permissions also. You are now in El Cap so run the following in Terminal.
sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

Suggestion:
1. the OP reproduces the issue, then performs this step that you suggest, then tests if the issue is still there.
2. the OP reproduces the issue, then howls at the moon for 3 minutes, then tests if the issue is still there.

I'm ready to bet €10,000 that the results of 1. and 2. will be identical.

Are you in?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

As it's saying /Library and your issue only occurs in your user account, this message is irrelevant, and most likely harmless.
You are quite mistaken. There are many threads on this issue going back a number of years. I suggest that you search and read them.

Wonder, feel free to back channel me if I can still help. I am done with this thread.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stratology wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: I like to repair permissions also. You are now in El Cap so run the following in Terminal.

Suggestion:
1. the OP reproduces the issue, then performs this step that you suggest, then tests if the issue is still there.
2. the OP reproduces the issue, then howls at the moon for 3 minutes, then tests if the issue is still there.

I'm ready to bet €10,000 that the results of 1. and 2. will be identical.

Are you in?

You're on, but only if I can howl at the moon. When I howl at the moon, I get results!
Of course, it may be a little hard to test. I think we're at or near a New Moon. Waning crescent, perhaps. Just a sliver. Maybe I can squeak at the sliver of waning crescent moon. Either way, I can guarantee that the results won't be the same. The moon listens to me and obeys. Sends me a quarter pound of Aurrichio Provolone every time. Lunar cheese delivery. There's nothing like it.

Now... what were we talking about? Er... what were you all talking about?

Sorry... just butting in. Seemed appropriate at the moment.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wonder

Post by wonder »

mikehalloran wrote:
1. 7/29/16 10:26:30.468 AM Digital Performer[619]: Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CueMixMackieSurfaces: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CueMixMackieSurfaces, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CueMixMackieSurfaces: mach-o, but wrong architecture
Your path to your plugins is corrupted. I have been seeing this since DP 8 and Mavericks. Sometimes installing a plug or VI will cause it; other times an OS update will. Uninstalling any older version of DP without reinstalling 8 or 9 causes this. Fortunately that is easy to fix:

Reinstall DP 9.
Reboot.
I like to repair permissions also. You are now in El Cap so run the following in Terminal.

The last time I saw this was when someone asked if DP 7.24 was compatible with El Cap—I ran the Uninstaller and reinstalled (724 works) but the 7.24 Uninstaller caused that error in DP 9.02 as expected.

When this happened during the OS 10.9.1 mess, I had to do the above three times before it took. I couldn't think of anything else. Otherwise, I have never had to run it more than once.

Normally, you do not have to uninstall DP before reinstalling 8 or 9. There are rare instances where that is not the case. There's an older thread where those directions are posted if necessary.

So..BEFORE the DP9 reinstall I should obviously remove older versions of DP first?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
wonder

Post by wonder »

mikehalloran wrote:
7/29/16 10:18:33.000 AM SpotlightNetHelper[438]: [SLSUGGESTIONS] Location managed failed with error Error Domain=kCLErrorDomain Code=0 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCLErrorDomain error 0.)"
Do you have an iPad or iPhone?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1409 ... in-error-0
I have both. I'll take a look through this thread you posted and see what I can do.

Thanks Mike. You're a BIG help.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
wonder

Post by wonder »

wonder wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:
1. 7/29/16 10:26:30.468 AM Digital Performer[619]: Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CueMixMackieSurfaces: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CueMixMackieSurfaces, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CueMixMackieSurfaces: mach-o, but wrong architecture
Your path to your plugins is corrupted. I have been seeing this since DP 8 and Mavericks. Sometimes installing a plug or VI will cause it; other times an OS update will. Uninstalling any older version of DP without reinstalling 8 or 9 causes this. Fortunately that is easy to fix:

Reinstall DP 9.
Reboot.
I like to repair permissions also. You are now in El Cap so run the following in Terminal.

The last time I saw this was when someone asked if DP 7.24 was compatible with El Cap—I ran the Uninstaller and reinstalled (724 works) but the 7.24 Uninstaller caused that error in DP 9.02 as expected.

When this happened during the OS 10.9.1 mess, I had to do the above three times before it took. I couldn't think of anything else. Otherwise, I have never had to run it more than once.

Normally, you do not have to uninstall DP before reinstalling 8 or 9. There are rare instances where that is not the case. There's an older thread where those directions are posted if necessary.
So..BEFORE the DP9 reinstall I should obviously remove older versions of DP first?
My Mac Pro is on Yosemite. Not El Capitan.
wonder

Post by wonder »

After deleting all my prefs, reinstalling DP9.1, deleting some unused plug-ins, the Kernal Task hogging RAM looks like its resolved.

Thanks for the Prefs trashing suggestion ... it seemed to help.

I'm still getting a crash on quit with the last message from the console being:

"Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable."

I can't seem to figure this out.

Any leads?
stratology

Post by stratology »

wonder wrote: I'm still getting a crash on quit
Do you also get the crash on quit
- on an empty project
- in a different user account?
wonder

Post by wonder »

stratology wrote:
wonder wrote: I'm still getting a crash on quit
Do you also get the crash on quit
- on an empty project
- in a different user account?

No. It will crash when I'm attempting to turn off multiple VI's ... and I think its with Battery.
I'm on 4.1.4 and hoping an update will fix ... this is IF Battery is the culprit.

The only thing I'm noticing that is recurrent on the crashes is the above Console message.
stratology

Post by stratology »

wonder wrote:... this is IF Battery is the culprit.
That's easy to test, just see if it occurs on a project that does not use Battery. :)
(If it does not occur, you can add Battery to a copy of that project, and see if you can trigger the crash).

BTW, if it's a crash that occurs while you use an app (e.g. when you turn off VIs), that's not called a 'crash on quit'. A crash on quit is when you quit an app, and instead of the app closing correctly, you get the notification window that tells you that the app has unexpectedly quit, and offers to send a crash report.

On a sidenote: one of the most effective troubleshooting steps is deleting preferences, as mentioned earlier. The reason for that is that the data in preference files can get damaged. One way this damage can occur is when an app crashes, because when a crash occurs, data may not be written to the pref file correctly.