Adding/removing/disabling inserts across tracks?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Adding/removing/disabling inserts across tracks?

Post by Robert Randolph »

Is it possible to add/remove/disable all inserts on a specific slot, across all tracks, in DP?

Am I missing something here?
Shooshie

Re: Adding/removing/disabling inserts across tracks?

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:Is it possible to add/remove/disable all inserts on a specific slot, across all tracks, in DP?

When you say "a specific slot, across all tracks," do you mean, for example, all slot #3's in every track? Horizontally?

So, you're asking if you can add, delete, or disable all inserts in row #3? If you used a Trim plugin in slot #3 of each and every track, you're asking if you could add, disable, or delete all Trim Plugins (row #3)? If that's what you're asking, the answer is no.

Of course you know you can do roughly that with columns. That is, individual channel strips. But I know of no global commands for inserts, at least not trending in a horizontal direction across the mixing board.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Shooshie wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:Is it possible to add/remove/disable all inserts on a specific slot, across all tracks, in DP?

When you say "a specific slot, across all tracks," do you mean, for example, all slot #3's in every track? Horizontally?

So, you're asking if you can add, delete, or disable all inserts in row #3? If you used a Trim plugin in slot #3 of each and every track, you're asking if you could add, disable, or delete all Trim Plugins (row #3)? If that's what you're asking, the answer is no.

Of course you know you can do roughly that with columns. That is, individual channel strips. But I know of no global commands for inserts, at least not trending in a horizontal direction across the mixing board.

Shoosh
What you described what I'm looking for. Say I want to insert a plugin on the first slot of every track (or every selected track).

If the answer is no, are there any workarounds that would work for an existing large project?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote:
If the answer is no, are there any workarounds that would work for an existing large project?
A workaround: group the tracks, and in the Sequence Editor, set it to show the bypass parameter for the insert on one of the tracks, and draw a bypass event at the start of that track.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If the setup is similar, you could make your mixer and save it. Option-drag to quickly move insert effects across. But you already got those.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

It's interesting that copy/paste partially works for inserts. By partially I mean you can click on an insert or shift-click more than one insert on a track to select multiple inserts and copy. Then go to another track select an insert and paste. This results in the copied items replacing what was in the inserts for that track (all the inserts). So it's great for duplicating a track's inserts or a portion of them. Play around with it and you'll see what I mean. There doesn't seem to be any way to paste inserts to a track with empty inserts as far as I can tell (that would be nice), and pasting does overwrite everything else in the pasted tracks. There might be something here that helps with a work-around. Don't know.

I've always thought adding "Add Inserts" and "Delete Inserts" to the Track Groups options would be nice. Or better still, a whole section on grouping insert actions.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
leigh

Post by leigh »

What I'd like is:
  • • select a group of tracks
    • pick an insert (or send) in a slot on any one track of the selected group
    • have the remaining selected tracks have that insert or send inserted in the corresponding slot
**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I know the convenience you all are looking for, and I'd like that too. It's something to ask for, and it's time has come, because of the massive Mixing Boards we're looking at today.

In the meantime, my workaround has long been to set it up once, then to use that mix over and over. It's not easy or convenient, but it works, and I've done it for years. It's still much faster than replacing all those plugins in all those tracks. Here are the steps:
  • 1) Set it up once. (yeah, that's the hard part)
    2) When creating a new sequence, duplicate the chunk (not the track layout, which doesn't take the plugins with it)
    3) Delete all the data. (Select all, delete) Note that this will not delete takes. If you have a lot of takes:
    • a) Group all tracks with all options selected
      b) Show takes
      c) Select all
      d) Delete
    4) At this point you should have a blank slate, but with plugins as per your original setup.
Unless they've changed the way plugins are retained when duplicating a chunk or deleting data, that will work.

What do we ask MOTU for? Maybe:
  • "Extend plugin application to [x] slots right/left."
However, here's one I've asked for many times over the years:
  • Save Mix [Locally] [Globally]
A globally saved mix would apply to any sequence with the same tracks in the same order. So, you'd still need to duplicate track layout (gives the same track layout without any data; a blank slate) then apply the globally saved mix. I see the problem with that: After a dozen globally saved mixes, you'd have no idea which ones would work with any given track layout. Maybe a better alternative would be:
  • "Duplicate Track Layout" with check box: "Import Saved Mixes"
I think that last one is the answer. Let me repeat that.
We need to ask MOTU to allow in the Chunks Window, a way to:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Shooshie wrote:I know the convenience you all are looking for, and I'd like that too. It's something to ask for, and it's time has come, because of the massive Mixing Boards we're looking at today.

In the meantime, my workaround has long been to set it up once, then to use that mix over and over. It's not easy or convenient, but it works, and I've done it for years. It's still much faster than replacing all those plugins in all those tracks. Here are the steps:
  • 1) Set it up once. (yeah, that's the hard part)
    2) When creating a new sequence, duplicate the chunk (not the track layout, which doesn't take the plugins with it)
    3) Delete all the data. (Select all, delete) Note that this will not delete takes. If you have a lot of takes:
    • a) Group all tracks with all options selected
      b) Show takes
      c) Select all
      d) Delete
    4) At this point you should have a blank slate, but with plugins as per your original setup.
Unless they've changed the way plugins are retained when duplicating a chunk or deleting data, that will work.

What do we ask MOTU for? Maybe:
  • "Extend plugin application to [x] slots right/left."
However, here's one I've asked for many times over the years:
  • Save Mix [Locally] [Globally]
A globally saved mix would apply to any sequence with the same tracks in the same order. So, you'd still need to duplicate track layout (gives the same track layout without any data; a blank slate) then apply the globally saved mix. I see the problem with that: After a dozen globally saved mixes, you'd have no idea which ones would work with any given track layout. Maybe a better alternative would be:
I think that last one is the answer. Let me repeat that.
We need to ask MOTU to allow in the Chunks Window, a way to:

Shoosh
Thanks for the ideas.

Personally, I'd like if inserts were groupable with track groups.

I'd not only like to insert plugins across selected tracks, but also control them simultaneously as well. I've experienced this workflow in another DAW recently and oh my... it's extremely useful for me.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:Personally, I'd like if inserts were groupable with track groups.
That's another I've been wanting. I wish I could think of them all, but there are several grouping parameters we need. They go away when I'm not using groups! :?

Shoosh