Can one use Logic´s synths and plugins in DP??

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can one use Logic´s synths and plugins in DP??

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

I have the impression I read about it here, but I haven't found what I think I'm looking for.
I don't even know if it's possible...

What I'd like, is to be able to use Logic's synths and VIs and plugs, but within DP, perhaps via something like Rewire or whatever other means.

I know NOTHING about Logic, but I keep seeing tutorials that use its VIs, and some seem really nice!

Do I have to buy the full Logic app? Isn't there something that includes only the VIs? (I think it is called "Main Aperture" or "Big Overture", or something like that?

Is it worth it? ´Cause I'm just about to purchase the big version of Live...
Should I try this Logic thing first? I am under the impression that "pairing" DP with Logic is possible and much cheaper... Is it?

I am not clear how I can slave Logic or Live to DP. Is it via Rewire? Or is it via another proprietary intercommunication protocol?

Yes. I'm a little lost here.
Thank you for any ideas or comments, guys.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
cuttime

Re: Can one use Logic´s synths and plugins in DP??

Post by cuttime »

FMiguelez wrote:
Do I have to buy the full Logic app? Isn't there something that includes only the VIs? (I think it is called "Aperture" or "Overture", or something like that?

Is it worth it? ´Cause I'm just about to purchase the big version of Live...
Should I try this Logic thing first? I am under the impression that "pairing" DP with Logic is possible and much cheaper... Is it?
MainStage 3 is what you want. $30 in the App Store. Whether it's worth it or not depends on your tolerance for kludges. The instruments are not directly playable in DP, but need to be piped in via either SoundFlower or Jack OSX. There is Tech note on the MOTU site about using GarageBand instruments in DP: http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... garageband The same process applies to Logic and MainStage.

Personally, I hate this approach, and use my Traveler interface to create a source that shows up in DP. This only works directly with MOTU Firewire interfaces. Most other interfaces can be rigged to route the computer audio out and back in to another input that can be seen by DP. The MIDI input in MainStage can be slaved to the DP MIDI output.

IMHO, MainStage is the biggest bargain in the music software world, and it is worth it for the extra
effort required to get it to work with DP. The included Alchemy synth alone is worth the price.
Last edited by cuttime on Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

These might help:
http://help.apple.com/mainstage/mac/3.2.3/
http://www.apple.com/mainstage/plugins-and-sounds/
There is also a MainStage 3 Instruments (free) manual in the iBooks store, but I can't figure out a way to post a link to it.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thank you so much for all that info, cuttime!

It certainly clears a lot of my questions. So MAINSTAGE 3 it is (not "Big Overture" :lol: )

It really seems great. And for that price?? I'm so buying this thing!
I already have Audio Hijack Pro, so that should work just like SoundFlower, correct?

Thank you also for your last tip regarding the FW MOTU interfaces.
If the first method with SF or AHP annoys me, then I'll try using my Track 16 like you suggested, which has a FW port, IIRC.
I think I switched to USB due to something I can't remember, but I will revisit this if I find using SF or AJP too kludgy.

The Apple Store price I see is $499 pesos. A total steal!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
billf

Post by billf »

FMiguelez wrote:So MAINSTAGE 3 it is
FYI, MainStage 3 also includes the Redmatica stuff Apple bought (which is not in Logic Pro for some strange reason only known to Apple).
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

FMiguelez wrote:Thank you so much for all that info, cuttime!

I already have Audio Hijack Pro, so that should work just like SoundFlower, correct?

Thank you also for your last tip regarding the FW MOTU interfaces.
If the first method with SF or AHP annoys me, then I'll try using my Track 16 like you suggested, which has a FW port, IIRC.
I don't have AHP, but I think so?

The MOTU FW interface tip involves going into CueMix under File, you should see "Mix 1 Return Includes Computer Output". If checked, Mix 1 Return should show up as an Input in DP. I use the Trim plug to calibrate the levels.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I don't know if you have it or not but MachFive 3 opens ESX24 files also.
FYI, MainStage 3 also includes the Redmatica stuff Apple bought (which is not in Logic Pro for some strange reason only known to Apple)
I didn't know that. Having both, I never paid attention to which came with what.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

FMiguelez wrote: I already have Audio Hijack Pro, so that should work just like SoundFlower, correct?
I am personally a fan of JackOSX myself. free. No latency. Its a bit fiddly setting up routing, but once you do it a few times, its not so bad and works very well for what you want to do with mainstage and DP.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

FMiguelez wrote: I already have Audio Hijack Pro, so that should work just like SoundFlower, correct?
I have Audio Hijack Pro, too. You CAN choose MS3 as a source, no problem. Getting the output of MS3 into DP via AHP is the challenge. AHP let's you choose an output device, but doesn't (to my knowledge) publish its own outputs to another app (as Soundflower does).

I couldn't get Jack to work on my rig. Soundflower works here.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
billf

Post by billf »

mikehalloran wrote:I don't know if you have it or not but MachFive 3 opens ESX24 files also.
FYI, MainStage 3 also includes the Redmatica stuff Apple bought (which is not in Logic Pro for some strange reason only known to Apple)
I didn't know that. Having both, I never paid attention to which came with what.
I haven't downloaded Logic 10.2.4 yet, but I don't think there has been any change in the status of Auto Sampler in the latest version Logic. AFAIK, MainStage 3 is still the only way to acquire it. Auto Sampler is a great tool for creating EXS24 files, so it's a good tool to have in the toolbox.

Here's an article on the topic.

https://brianli.com/auto-sampler-isnt-i ... gic-pro-x/
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

stubbsonic wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:
I couldn't get Jack to work on my rig. Soundflower works here.
I had opposite problem, troubles with sound flower and never any probs with jackosx. Jack also has another benefit that you can run some Windows plugins under wine and jack can get the audio into dp without any latency, which has occasionally been handy. There is something else weird about sound flower but I can't remember wha it was now. Much prefer jack.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Had I not found the links at the bottom of this thread, Soundflower would still be a mystery to me. I still go to the How to link on the occasions I fire it up (now how does this work again?)

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=61722&p=525313&hil ... er#p525313
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Outside of Alchemy, which is a pretty cool synth, there really is nothing in Logic's virtual instruments arsenal that isn't equalled or eclipsed by other vendors' products. Years ago I used to drool over Logic's instruments. I bought Mainstage so I could try them. Nowadays - meh. Very dated sounding
and not that high quality.

Logic's own plugins rate even lower for me. Ok to unacceptable.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

I used the DP and GB pdf on Motu's site to get MainStage3 playable via MIDI and pass audio into DP with Soundflower today for the first time. It worked OK but for one thing:

I could get MainStage to be played via MIDI from DP when recorded onto its own MIDI track and then record the audio onto an audio track.

But for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to get MainStage to NOT play when I played every other MIDI track. Sort of like Local On being on all the time. I could mute the output of MainStage so I didn't have to hear it for every other overdub and it would play its own MIDI part only from the MIDI track. But how do I I get it NOT to play live from my MIDI keyboard?

It must be something easy that I'm missing but for the life on me I can't figure it out. Please help me if you have a clue.

thanks,
Kinny Landrum
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.