Is there a simple Bluetooth device that can Pause/Play DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
BonDarker
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is there a simple Bluetooth device that can Pause/Play DP?

Post by BonDarker »

Yes, I know an Apple Wireless Magic Keyboard can do the trick but all I need is that one damned button—the space bar! And yes, once upon a time MOTU developed an app for iPhone, etc. but it seems to be a back burner project that needs updating and only works on older iOS devices.

I'm using DP on my MacBook Pro with an 828 Mk3 to run some backing tracks and jam tracks in live shows. All my sequence chunks are placed in order in the chunks window. By using the Q advance setting, a sequence plays through, ends, and then advances to the next sequence chunk awaiting the play command (space bar) to begin playing the next sequence.

There are all kinds of devices out there to "control" this and that with Bluetooth but all seem to be developed for use with iPads, iPhones and require interaction with an app. A product called DIGIT and/or DIGIT II by AirTurn seems to be promising but it too seems to be more focused on iOS with apps, etc. I'm told there is a space bar function in Mode 2 (anyone know about this?)

I just want a small, simple, Bluetooth device that can at least perform that one simple function... the function provided by a space bar.

Any thoughts?
Many thanks, in advance.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Is there a simple Bluetooth device that can Pause/Play D

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Yes. A bluetooth (or other wireless) QUERTY keyboard...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BonDarker

Post by BonDarker »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Yes. A bluetooth (or other wireless) QUERTY keyboard...
I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting... or is this humor?
Running a search for QUERTY (your spelling) I am diverted to "Qwerty Keyboard" with a Wikipedia definition of: "QWERTY is a keyboard layout for the Latin script. The name comes from reading the first six keys appearing on the top left letter row of the keyboard (Q W E R T Y) from left to right. The QWERTY design is based on..."

How is this going to be a solution for me?
So, can you clear this up?
Thanks
MIDI Life Crisis

A QWERTY (sorry) keyboard is a standard computer keyboard. I phonetically spelled it by habit. I use a wireless Logitech solar keyboard and just control DP from there. Simple. It wasn't an attempt at humor. You'll know when I do that. I'll fail miserably... LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You can get BT keyboards that are quite smal including those that fold up and fit in a shirt pocket.

I don't know of a one button BT device that can be programmed to emulate the space bar of a QWERTY keyboard. Perhaps there is. This, perhaps?

https://pebblebee.com/programmable-wire ... rt-button/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BonDarker

Post by BonDarker »

Thanks, Mike.
I'm looking into your suggestion.
Fingers are crossed.

MIDI Life Crisis - God, I love that handle!
Thanks for the follow up and explaining.
I did purchase a "mini wireless keyboard" on ebay, it worked but kept dropping the connection. Maybe I needed to buy one for more than $10.
"You get what you pay for" may apply in this case.

Gratitude to one and all for your input.
My knowledge base has now doubled.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Check that any such device supports the BT 4 standard and not 2.8 or older. With the next OS release, this will be even more important.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

The Logitech solar powered keyboard is rock solid and you'll never need a battery. Feels great as well.

Happy to help.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Is it possible that you could use one of the iOS apps that CAN run DP's transport? It would seem a shame to get a piece of hardware when you could make a wi-fi connection and run commands that way. There have been a few apps that work in this way. Am I missing something?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:The Logitech solar powered keyboard is rock solid and you'll never need a battery. Feels great as well.
Sounds like you speak from experience. Is normal room lighting enough to keep it charged?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Should be.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

I think Shoosh has one too.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The Logitech K750 keyboard is my choice. It's not Bluetooth, but USB wireless. That means that it's working as soon as USB is working. Bluetooth comes on much later during startup.

Here is what I like about the K750:
  • Wireless
  • Solar Powered (you never have to change batteries)
  • Looks like Macintosh stuff and uses the Mac keyboard layout and key names. (Command, Option, Control...)
  • Full keyboard
  • Fast and easy as the Apple Keyboard.
  • IT HAS AN OFF SWITCH!
The off switch is very important. When my cats jump up on the desk, I reach for the off-switch, because they invariably go for the keyboard and push buttons before I can get them down. When I carry the keyboard elsewhere while troubleshooting and needing to type commands from a distance, the Off switch keeps me from messing up things by accidentally pushing buttons before I get there.

And best of all, when my computer is sleeping, I can turn the keyboard off so that it stays that way. If someone accidentally touches a button on the keyboard, or a cat gets up on the desk in my absence, the computer remains asleep.

I wish all input devices had off-switches.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

The new models are both RF and BT, or am I thinking of the new crappy mouse?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

This looks like fun, for scoring those deep-sea documentaries:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10491/zal ... e-keyboard

No bluetooth, but maybe Bluebeard?