8th note click

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

8th note click

Post by waxman »

How do you get click track to play 1/8th notes instead of 1/4 notes. I thought I used to be able to do this. Can't figure it out. I'm on DP 9.02
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Shooshie

Re: 8th note click

Post by Shooshie »

Now you set up a "click pattern" in the preferences.

The pattern you would want is something like this:

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 /8

In the above pattern, you'd have an accented note on the 1st and 5th 8th notes.
Whatever note you want to be accented, you select that beat and do COMMAND-B, as if you were boldfacing text. The scented beats will turn red.

The /8 tells it to use the 8th note as the pattern.
This is only for conductor track use. Any place where you can set the meter, you can also set the click by pulling down a menu on the click thingy in the meter dialog, and selecting a custom click pattern.

I think it's a little overdone, though I do like it. I just wish it were a little easier to set!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Another method that works in v8 is to open the conductor track and select "Click Change" for the little pop menu and add one of those. You can set it to 8th notes there, too.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
waxman

Post by waxman »

Confused now... The Metronome will only click at 4/4. I can change the click prefs. Blue line around box but I can't get that to play in the Metronome button.
Shooshie wrote:Now you set up a "click pattern" in the preferences.

The pattern you would want is something like this:

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 /8

In the above pattern, you'd have an accented note on the 1st and 5th 8th notes.
Whatever note you want to be accented, you select that beat and do COMMAND-B, as if you were boldfacing text. The scented beats will turn red.

The /8 tells it to use the 8th note as the pattern.
This is only for conductor track use. Any place where you can set the meter, you can also set the click by pulling down a menu on the click thingy in the meter dialog, and selecting a custom click pattern.

I think it's a little overdone, though I do like it. I just wish it were a little easier to set!

Shoosh
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Go to conductor track and set to 8th notes there... just like adding a tempo or meter change.
waxman

Post by waxman »

then it will click 8ths but time sig and grid will remain 4/4?
waxman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

waxman wrote:then it will click 8ths but time sig and grid will remain 4/4?
If you just change the click, yes.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Under project menu/Conductor track/ change meter/metronome click/choose note icon for desired meter... Page 182 in the manual. whew...

Didn't this use to change from the metronome click preferences window? I have not needed 8th note click in years. This drummer wanted it... I finally used a delay.
waxman
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You must have missed my post.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

waxman

Post by waxman »

stubbsonic wrote:You must have missed my post.
I saw it thank you. I did not understand by "open conductor track" it meant go to the top menu line... Instead I selected the conductor track and looked for a menu... duh... I guess that is just the dangers of posts... or more likely it's a loose nut between the steering wheel and the gas pedal...
waxman
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

For the click preferences or for click automation to work you must be using the conductor track.

If it's set to tempo slider, none of these things work. I don't understand why, and it took me months to figure out.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

waxman wrote: I saw it thank you. I did not understand by "open conductor track"
If I'd said open the conductor track EVENT EDITOR it would have been more clear. My apologies. My preferences have the conductor track open as the default editor.

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

waxman wrote:or more likely it's a loose nut between the steering wheel and the gas pedal...
Look BEHIND the steering wheel. It's usually the nut behind the wheel.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.