Blank Waves Plug-In Window—SOLVED!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Blank Waves Plug-In Window—SOLVED!

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hi......
I have 22 Waves plugs, and all have worked fine in DP. I recently picked up Greg Wells mix centric on sale, and it opens with a blank window (no graphic). The plug actually works (I can select presets and they affect the track), but no visual of the controls/faders/knob.

I'm running DP9.01 under Yosemite. Waves tech support is scratching their heads. Anyone else encounter anything like this?
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Shooshie

Re: Blank Waves Plug-In Window

Post by Shooshie »

Have you reinstalled it? I'm sure Waves Tech Support has already asked that.
I'm stumped, too, though I've seen things like that temporarily. A restart usually fixed things.

See if it happens when you open another project, or an older backup version of the current project.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Shooshie wrote:Have you reinstalled it? I'm sure Waves Tech Support has already asked that.
I'm stumped, too, though I've seen things like that temporarily. A restart usually fixed things.

See if it happens when you open another project, or an older backup version of the current project.

Shooshie
Thanks, Shooshie.

Yep--Uninstalled and re-installed all Waves plug-ins.
Tested on a new DP project and the Waves tech who I was screen-sharing with was able to force the graphics to cache (I think by repeatedly changing presets, though he was working so fast, it's hard to be sure). The same approach was unsuccessful on a project with data in it.

I'll try another restart and zap the P-RAM for good measure.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I would try a reinstall of DP then repair permissions
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote:I would try a reinstall of DP then repair permissions
That seems drastic.....any particular reason why?

I was also wondering if updating to 9.02 would be worth a try. Thoughts?
Rick Cornish

Rick Cornish

Re: Blank Waves Plug-In Window—SOLVED!

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hi Gang.......
For those who may be interested, I've been working through this issue with Waves tech and my own Mac guru since my last post. 4 screen share sessions later, I was resigned to creating a new user account and started down that road. :surrender:

Then I happened to report one additional problem with Waves in my original User act (unable to load artist presets) and got this response…

Hi Rick;
Consulting this case with our QA dept., they suspect there is an issue with Arial font on your former Mac user.
This can also be the reason for not seeing the presets in the same Mac user.

Please go to Font Book application and make sure Arial is installed, enabled and works properly.

Let me know how it goes please.

Opened Font Book (I don’t think I’d ever opened it before on this computer) and discovered Arial was turned off. Turned it on and Waves stuff works fine. Restored all other preferences (except Font Book) and problem solved. :woohoo:

Never would’ve guessed that one, but apparently, it’s come up for them before.

So, if your Waves stuff is acting weird, try checking Font Book to be sure Arial is working.
(This is officially my weirdest glitch fix yet.)
Rick Cornish

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Wow! You solved a very old problem I had. Back in the day (when I still was using Waves products) I had a problem where DP would crash on launch. I guessed it was a font issue because I had just disabled a bunch of fonts that I thought I didn't need. I THOUGHT it was a DP issue and contacted MOTU to find out what fonts I needed installed to run DP. They assured me that if I re-installed DP it would take care of it - but it didn't. So I turned on all the fonts and disabled them half at a time until I found the culprit, Arial. Until today I thought that was a DP issue, but I guess I was wrong. :shock:

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Glad to hear this helped, Phil! (BTW: Waves said to look out for a corrupt Arial font, so you might want to check that out.)

I'm having a hard time getting my head around how a font could affect audio plug-ins. But then there's much under the hood that I will never understand.

Regardless, it's just one more reason to despise Arial. I have many…

http://www.marksimonson.com/notebook/vi ... e-of-arial
Rick Cornish

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Rick Cornish wrote:
Regardless, it's just one more reason to despise Arial. I have many…

http://www.marksimonson.com/notebook/vi ... e-of-arial
Interesting read Rick
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Back in the olden days, my company was Aardvark Graphics. I did graphic design, advertising and typesetting. Later I became Aardvark Graphics and Sound, and now it's just Aardvark Sound. So I have a long relationship with typefaces. Yeah, I hate Arial, too!

BTW, my logo is built around Helvetica. 8)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.