Good to know New Macs

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
leigh
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Good to know New Macs

Post by leigh »

The instructions and videos online include a number of unnecessary steps that should be skipped (you do not remove the screen!). This makes the job much easier, takes less time and lessens the chance of a mistake. It's relatively goof proof once you know how.
Thanks. Is there a video you would recommend?

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It's relatively goof proof once you know how.
That's the sad truth about most things.

:shake:
Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

waxman wrote: so what is up with SSD drives? Is everybody recording to 7200 rpm or 10k RPM drives? SSD's do not work correct
We only use regular 7200 drives for clones and backup here now.

14 SSDs for all my OS, sample drives and cutting drive. (well I do have a 2TB regular spinning drive that is used for screenflow etc., but it aint involved with DP in tracking etc) Most all SSDs are OWC.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

labman wrote:We only use regular 7200 drives for clones and backup here now...
Same here. Besides having spinners in my Time Capsules where speed isn't an issue, I use them for archival storage.

For example, I exclude my VI libraries from Time Machine. Instead, I zip and copy over to an HHD after an install or update. The reason I zip first is to eliminate permission and privilege issues. If my iMac suffered a fatal error, unzipping while connected to a new machine will give the file its privileges—a copy might not do that. Cloning takes too long for this task.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

This post got me thinking about the Mac Pro and what it is we want from it

To start we need top-speed multi-processors with lots of connectivity to all the storage drives and add-ons required for working and archiving all our projects in a professional environment. We have a generally fixed work place so don’t require portability as such… yet one criticism of the trashcan is that it ends up looking like like one huge entangled mess, with peripherals all hanging off it… the unit itself, unlike the earlier Mac Pro format machines, is not capable of containing within itself even a minimum of basic necessary peripherals … so whilst we don’t think of silver MacPros as portable… at least you could pick up the box and head to another studio if you had to and most of what you needed would be ITB.

Taking the concept of “not-so-messy’ trashcan as a negative and ’all in the box’ silver MPs as a positive we could imagine a new Mac Pro perhaps like a briefcase…. space for 6 or 8 internal SSDs, a gaggle of latest fastest, quietest, most efficient CPUs, at least 4 or more PCI slots, with external connectivity down the forward and rearward sides of the case…perhaps with a waterproof protective flap when being transported…. have a good-sized optional removable touchpad screen (IPad Pro?) under the top lid… I don’t know …I just felt the crux of the problem for the trashcan is that it’s so messy…and would be such a pain to pick up all the pieces to go do a job with it somewhere. Plus that for most of us the many new protocols mean we’d have to update a lot more than just the box

If USB3 will win the day then aren’t we sort of there now? a fairly modestly sized but fully packed Mac Pro is realizable….like a Maxi-Book Pro…or an iBag …an iBrief?… take it home with you…or go to a party and create mayhem!!

Thanks for listening…and thanks for the great tips again Mike …I can’t believe how prices have fallen with SSDs… my original OWC SSD 250g is still ticking along as my project disk in the optical bay…it was replaced as system drive when i got an OWC 6g 500g but which recently carked it after less than a year… I think I’ll just get 2 of the 500g Samsung EVO 850s you recommend and start afresh with those….so affordable it’s really a no-brainer….you wouldn’t go for the Pro versions of these SSSDs?

And when the 4T SSDs get to the right price I’ll swap out the 4 HDDs currently in the drive bays. With USB3 and the future not necessarily requiring Thunderbolt this 2009 Mac Pro might kick on for a few years more….definitely the best Mac I ever bought

And great tip about zipping and privileges… you mean that privileges get reset when a file is unzipped? or removed when you zip them? makes sense…but I never thought about it as such… I usually zip files for sending to protect the integrity of the file as i understood it…like how old SDII files could lose track of their headers and forks… but what you say means the receiver introduces the unzipped files to his system as his own as it were? Interesting point

Thanks to all
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The Pro has a 10 year warranty and the EVO is 5. You will not see any performance increase in a Mac Pro unless you connect it to a 6G PCIe card. Even then, real world differences are negligible if noticeable at all. For you, the warranty is the only difference.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

OK Great Mike Thank you
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

mikehalloran wrote:The reason I zip first is to eliminate permission and privilege issues. If my iMac suffered a fatal error, unzipping while connected to a new machine will give the file its privileges—a copy might not do that.
That's gold. I did not know that. Already archive that way, but for space reasons. Now I know the real reason I did it. 8)
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

I have never Zipped a file and never had a hard time opening it with another machine. I have a
Firewire G Drive with all my DP files and all my machines can open the songs on it. I move songs around all the time. I see that it might be a good idea but for me everything just works I would
like to hear more about zipping files. Thanks
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

I miss my 2010 Mac Pro cheese grater. Rock solid machine. But once it was clear we were moving towards a future where thunderbolt was standard I sold it. five years after buying it for 2800 I got 1000 for it. Not too bad. Today I'd probably get half that!

I hear the new displays will have integrated graphics...I can't afford the trashcan, but once the minis are updated, i'm biting.
why would i want to skin a cat?
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

2010 cheese graters regularly sell for $2k depending on what CPU is in them, memory and what vid card. Yours was either very low powered or you coulda gotten more and definitely it would be worth more then $500 today
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

rickorick wrote:I have never Zipped a file and never had a hard time opening it with another machine. I have a
Firewire G Drive with all my DP files and all my machines can open the songs on it. I move songs around all the time. I see that it might be a good idea but for me everything just works I would
like to hear more about zipping files. Thanks
Good for you. Songs aren't an issue. They are not files you open like, say apps or installers. Try moving Word docs from one Mac to another and see what happens.

Many times, they will require permissions and privileges to open on another station. If you compress first, they will acquire those privileges as part of the unzipping process. Btw, this is not necessary with email as it is done aumatically when you send a file as an attachment. Using Migration Assistant or Time Machine, likewise, takes care of this.

There is no hard and fast rule here on when it's needed and not. It appears that later OS are tighter on this then others. I had this issue with trying to open older DP files in 7.24 in 10.6.4 when created on another Mac unless zipped first — there are a number of old threads on this. I learned years ago to zip Word files before sending them to my wife's Mac and she cannot read her students' files if they fail to compress them before uploading to her Dropbox account (sometimes, zipping then unzipping on the new Mac works with Word but you can't bet on it).

The late OS installers must be zipped while the Combo Updaters do not. The 10.11.6 installer is 6.21G unzipped and 6.22G zipped. And so on...