Something similar to Channel strip settings of Logic

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mnstudio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Something similar to Channel strip settings of Logic

Post by mnstudio »

I'm a logic pro X user, and I'd like to know if there is in DP something similar to "Channel strip settings" (presets which load some software instruments sounds with effects on channel strip inserts combined). I have to compare some Logic functions to DP ones in a course that I have to teach
Thanks
Shooshie

Re: Something similar to Channel strip settings of Logic

Post by Shooshie »

You can save each channel strip in DP's mixing board, then reload it in any other strip in that project or any other project. Each channel strip saves plugins and settings for that strip. This bulk setting for each channel strip is a priceless feature. All the plugins/VIs for a single channel strip can be saved in one fell swoop. I use this in every mix I make, usually named for the artist/project/track/date, or if there are virtual instruments involved, instrument/artist/date.

In addition, each plugin may have not only the plugin interface's saved settings, but also DP's user folder settings. One is usually located in the plugin, the other in the plugin interface window's built-in menu.

Oh yes, there's also the saved Mix, which saves multiple mixes for the entire Mixing Board — every plugin, instrument, and setting. It's a little more difficult to pass from project to project, because projects typically don't have the exact same tracks in the exact same order, but it's possible to do so by importing the sequence to a new project (or duplicating it in the existing project), deleting the MIDI and/or audio, then using the saved mixes. A saved mix saves ALL the plugins in the project, each in their proper channel, and each with its settings and configurations.

So... that's three levels of saved plugin settings:
  • 1) each plugin allows you to save its settings in a user folder (some have two layers of user settings)
  • 2) each channel allows you to save all VIs, plugins, settings, and configs in that channel, which can later be recalled for any channel, anywhere, in any project
  • 3) DP can save multiple mixes. You can switch between them and conceivably use them in other projects, at least when that may be practical.
A hidden advantage of having multiple mixes recallable in an instant is that one of those mixes can be a blank slate. That's useful for reducing latency during recording, especially overdubbing and editing once there is a substantial mix involved, or when testing individual parameters against a raw mix.

Does that answer your questions?

Shooshie

PS: none of the above methods depends on the other ones. For example, you don't have to save plugin settings for those same settings to be saved in the other two methods. Each is independent.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
doodles

Post by doodles »

Shooshie wrote:You can save each channel strip in DP's mixing board, then reload it in any other strip in that project or any other project. Each channel strip saves plugins and settings for that strip. This bulk setting for each channel strip is a priceless feature. All the plugins/VIs for a single channel strip can be saved in one fell swoop. I use this in every mix I make, usually named for the artist/project/track/date, or if there are virtual instruments involved, instrument/artist/date.
How did I not know this? And i've never used the saved mix function in all my years. Hadn't thought of the latency thing.

Great stuff, Shooshie. Thanks!
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Shooshie wrote:You can save each channel strip in DP's mixing board, then reload it in any other strip in that project or any other project. Each channel strip saves plugins and settings for that strip. This bulk setting for each channel strip is a priceless feature.
Is this a clipping? Or is it saved like a V-rack? I couldn't work out if there was a separate Channel Strip save function.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
Shooshie wrote:You can save each channel strip in DP's mixing board, then reload it in any other strip in that project or any other project. Each channel strip saves plugins and settings for that strip. This bulk setting for each channel strip is a priceless feature.
Is this a clipping? Or is it saved like a V-rack? I couldn't work out if there was a separate Channel Strip save function.
The top slot on the channel strip is a the configuration for the whole strip. Has been since about version 7.x. Maybe 6.x, but I don't remember that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Shooshie wrote: The top slot on the channel strip is a the configuration for the whole strip. Has been since about version 7.x. Maybe 6.x, but I don't remember that.

Shooshie
Got it - I had forgotten this one - very useful. Thanks Shooshie.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I did not know or even think to look for something like this.
Thanx Shooshie
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

doodles wrote: How did I not know this? And i've never used the saved mix function in all my years. Hadn't thought of the latency thing.
Important Note:
When you are creating that first saved mix on a project, it's almost always after you've done some mixing, and you don't want to lose that. So, don't just create a new mix, because that will replace the one that's there with a clean slate. Instead, DUPLICATE the mix, then rename it. From that point onward, you can create a new mix without having to worry about losing anything.

Shoosh
mnstudio

Post by mnstudio »

Thank you so much for your thorough answer, Shooshie!