Movie Audio Output

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Movie Audio Output

Post by SMS »

First time using DPs Movie features- a Karaoke singer that has to watch the Karaoke video to perform.

I've imported the movie, and all works as planned- I route the audio, the movie locks to the sequence, great. If I uncheck "Use this movie for all sequences" I can't get the audio. If I unlock the transport, I can hear it, but with it locked and playing, selecting/deselecting the above referenced mini-menu option turns off the audio. I'm using multiple sequences in a single Project, so I need a different movie for each sequence.

I've got it working by importing the movies' audio, but would still like to know.

Thanks for help

Spence
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Movie Audio Output

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Your best bet is to import the audio and forget the movie audio from the movie. I'm not sure why you're having that issue. My understanding is that MOTU doesn't use the QuickTime engine. Might have something to do with it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

DP automatically mutes the movie audio output in the movie window when you import the audio into DP as a track.

If you want to hear it again, you need to put the little audio slider/fader in the movie window up again to full.

I don't know if this helps your problem, but I scratched my head over this one awhile back!

I don't import the movie audio myself, as when you start cutting and pasting whole sections of cues in the tracks window, or change start-times of cues, or do just about anything else, you unfortunately will do it unintentionally to the movie audio track as well and you'll have to keep constantly rebuilding and/or re-syncing the movie audio track.

When you just let the movie window play it, it stays locked and you really don't need to think about it again.

Hope this helps!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The problem there is when you bounce to disk and the audio is NOT imported, it won't be included in the bounce.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

I've always imported the movie audio and separate into 2 mono tracks if audio is split as I request. There's a lot more flexibility with the audio as DP tracks. One thing I like to do after importing movie audio is scroll to near the end of the movie, turn up the movie audio in the Movie window and check dialogue sync.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

frankf wrote:I've always imported the movie audio and separate into 2 mono tracks if audio is split as I request. There's a lot more flexibility with the audio as DP tracks. One thing I like to do after importing movie audio is scroll to near the end of the movie, turn up the movie audio in the Movie window and check dialogue sync.

Frank Ferrucci
Hey Frank?

Can I ask how you split it into two mono tracks?

Thanks very much!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
frankf

Post by frankf »

I'm not in front of DP right now, but I believe you can export the Soundbite in the Soundbite window using a non interleaved format. I will double check later.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

frankf wrote:I'm not in front of DP right now, but I believe you can export the Soundbite in the Soundbite window using a non interleaved format. I will double check later.

Frank Ferrucci
Thanks you Frank, I would appreciate it!

I was using an external file conversion program, but would love to be able to do that in DP and have stuff stay internal, timestamped, etc.
frankf

Post by frankf »

I do it in the Waveform Editor. You also can Export, via Contextual menu or from the SB window, the SB as deinterleaved mono wav files BUT DP creates the 2 mono files with .L and .R as part of the file names. If you drag and drop them back into DP, they become interleaved again. Rename them in the Finder first if using this method. I use the Waveform Editor myself. I hope this is clear.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

frankf wrote:I do it in the Waveform Editor. You also can Export, via Contextual menu or from the SB window, the SB as deinterleaved mono wav files BUT DP creates the 2 mono files with .L and .R as part of the file names. If you drag and drop them back into DP, they become interleaved again. Rename them in the Finder first if using this method. I use the Waveform Editor myself. I hope this is clear.

Frank Ferrucci
Thank you, Frank !!!