Chain or Cue CHUNKS in DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Coachella
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Chain or Cue CHUNKS in DP

Post by Coachella »

Hello there,
I'm running DP 8.07 LIVE with 25/30 chunks that normally are in cue mode.
And this settings works for 95% of our live set.
But sometimes I need to CHAIN some of those for example I'd love to have the first five songs chained, then I want to return in cue mode.

DP on stage is used by the drummer and the only things he has/wants/is able to do is SPACEBAR for play. Period.
No keystrokes or key commands on stage as... he is a d(r)ummer :)

So: how can I do this non-manually? I've tried to assign a MIDI event in commands window to toggle on/off the chain mode but maybe I'm not doing this in the right way as this is not working in any way.
Anyone can help me?

Our setup is MacBook PRO, MOTU TRAVELER, a master keyboard connected to the traveler and DP 8.07 having a few backing tracks, click and some virtual instruments loaded.
The ideal would be to have a MIDI track with one MIDI event to toggle chain on/off when I need.

Any help will be appreciated but please... don't tell me to use other methods like "songs" (as we also have different videos for each chunk and songs option do not contemplate different videos) or other: please help me focused to do step-by-step the correct MIDI-event for toggle chain chunks on/off.

If anyone has already had this issue please link me the topic - couldn't find anything similar using search. Any help-video will be GREAT!

Thank you guys!
Rob
Shooshie

Re: Chain or Cue CHUNKS in DP

Post by Shooshie »

You can drag and drop chunks on top of existing sequences, and with a little practice (UNDO is your friend) you can probably get them right where you want them, at the end of a sequence, so that they are "chained" but all in one chunk. Drag the chunk to the Tracks window, and drop it at the end of the current sequence. If the tracks are different, it will ADD all its tracks to the existing ones. If you use Markers, it will make all of this a lot easier.

I may not have explained all that very well, but without going and doing it again, I'm afraid I might lead you the wrong way. Just try it and see what you can do. If you need more help, come back and I'll go into greater detail. DP isn't open right now, and there are actually some things that I don't remember down to the letter of detail unless I go try them again. Not many, but some... :lol:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Coachella

Re: Chain or Cue CHUNKS in DP

Post by Coachella »

Shooshie wrote:You can drag and drop chunks on top of existing sequences, and with a little practice (UNDO is your friend) you can probably get them right where you want them, at the end of a sequence, so that they are "chained" but all in one chunk. Drag the chunk to the Tracks window, and drop it at the end of the current sequence. If the tracks are different, it will ADD all its tracks to the existing ones. If you use Markers, it will make all of this a lot easier.

I may not have explained all that very well, but without going and doing it again, I'm afraid I might lead you the wrong way. Just try it and see what you can do. If you need more help, come back and I'll go into greater detail. DP isn't open right now, and there are actually some things that I don't remember down to the letter of detail unless I go try them again. Not many, but some... :lol:

Shoosh
Hi Shoosh,
thanx for your answer.
What you suggest is very similar to "songs" function and, as songs does, this way doesn't contemplate different videos.
Eg. 5 chunks with 5 different videos.
If i drag the second chunk into "tracks" of the first one, dp copy only audio data without carrying the second video.

What i basically need is a way to "launch" a key command without pressing any key, maybe with a MIDI event assigned to a key command that would be chain toggle on/off or "goto next chunk". Is there any way to do this handsfree?

Regards,
Rob