Waves with new binaural/surround mixing tech...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Waves with new binaural/surround mixing tech...

Post by BKK-OZ »

Waves have released 'Nx' - a virtual monitoring plugin that simulates the ideal acoustics of a high-end mix room – inside your headphones.

Tracks your head via a web-cam or similar, and puts you inside a virtual mixing environment.

They also have a KickStarter appeal going for a head-tracking hardware for headphones.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Shooshie

Re: Waves with new binaural/surround mixing tech...

Post by Shooshie »

BKK-OZ wrote:Waves have released 'Nx' - a virtual monitoring plugin that simulates the ideal acoustics of a high-end mix room – inside your headphones.

Tracks your head via a web-cam or similar, and puts you inside a virtual mixing environment.

They also have a KickStarter appeal going for a head-tracking hardware for headphones.
The headphone mixer would be nice. I used to use the one made by "Redline," but the developer died in a skiing accident, if I remember correctly. It was sudden, and a very fine — almost essential — product was lost along with him. Who knows what else he might have created had he lived? So, I'm glad to see Waves do it. I'm sure it's done well.

As for their kickstarter campaign, it surprises me a little... on 2nd thought maybe not so much, that one of the richest and prolific of companies is looking to develop a technology that could be lucrative for them, using nothing but other people's money! One thing about a Kickstarter campaign is that it does your market research and capital raising all in one move. If you fail to get your funding, it probably means there was no market for it to begin with.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

My reading of their Kickstarter campaign is that it is essentially just a way to generate pre-sales for their hardware, given that the software is already developed.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

BKK-OZ wrote:My reading of their Kickstarter campaign is that it is essentially just a way to generate pre-sales for their hardware, given that the software is already developed.
Ah... I didn't actually go there, assuming that Kickstarter campaigns are all the same, basically. Well, still it strikes me as odd. Just odd.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I was an early adopter of Waves NX. It's cool!

Here is an earlier thread I started on it:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=61638

Best,
Babz
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Babz wrote:I was an early adopter of Waves NX. It's cool!

Here is an earlier thread I started on it:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=61638

Best,
Babz
Ahhh...

I thought someone might have posted about it earlier, but when I searched, nothing came up.

Thanks.

Now that you have used it for awhile, thoughts?
Any thoughts on the head tracking?
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
etl17
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by etl17 »

Another interesting plugin that I've been using with great results for years is the Toneboosters Isone: http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/

--Stefanos
DP 9, Win 7 64bit, 24GB RAM, RME HDSPe / Digiface, UAD 2, Powercore x8, HUI, 1 million plugins!
billf

Post by billf »

I have had NX for a while, and it is cool, but I'm not quite comfortable relying on it for production yet.

For stereo production work headphone mixing, I've been using Sonarworks plugin because it comes with a calibration profile for my DT 770's (they have a fair number of headphone profiles included), and the results so far have been good.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1