MIDI Input from only one device?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kingkaos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MIDI Input from only one device?

Post by kingkaos »

Fellow DP Users,
i wanted to know if it is possible to assign just one device as a MIDI Masterkeyboard in DP without assigning it for every new track with Mulitrecord?
I have very large MIDI Network and by default DP uses MIDI Input from all available MIDI Inputs.
I want DP to record just from one dedicated INPUT by default.
I already tried to switch off the "I" from the "MIDI Device Bundles dialog, but somehow this does nothing at all!?

Any help and tip would be greatly appreciated!
Best
Kingkaos
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Input from only one device?

Post by Shooshie »

There's no default setting that I know of, but you can set a large number of tracks very quickly using the Studio / Track Assignments menu. On my system that's OPTION-A on the keyboard. I don't remember if that's a MOTU default setting or my own, but it's probably MOTU's, meaning you can try it and it will likely work for you.

These days, with DP9, you can do that as you create tracks, using the Project / Create Tracks menu, and adding I/O as you go.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
waxman

Post by waxman »

That is correct... Option a is a MOTU key command. Select 100 tracks. Hit Option a. Then set the radio button to only change the input track. It is very quick.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
kingkaos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by kingkaos »

Could you do me favor and actually try it out with DP 9.02 with the INPUTS for MIDI tracks.
It works fine for Audio Tracks Inputs and Outputs, as well does it work for MIDI Outputs.
But pn all of my machines(10.9.5 and 10.11.5) "Assign MIDI Inputs" does not work with DP9.02 for multiple MIDI track inputs.

I submitted this bug to Motu a few month ago already because using MPE devices like the Haken Continuum or the LinnStrument would be much easier to configure when "Assign all selected tracks to this input" and "Assign to consecutive Inputs" would not be broken in the current version of DP ... but so far no fix.

So thanks for you help, but MOTU actually has to fix this to make your tips work again.

Kind regards
Chris
waxman

Post by waxman »

Yes click radio button for assign MIDI track... assign all to..XXXX. in my set up it is the NI S61
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.