Bounce to Disc Problem

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bounce to Disc Problem

Post by Rick Cornish »

This is an odd one. Anyone who can help, please let me know what you think…

I was in the process of bouncing out stems of a soundtrack I was working on. Bounced out the music with no issue. Muted the subs for all my music tracks and started to bounce out the V/O stem and part way through, I got a pop-up that said "You must select a track to record on" and then another that said "The record pass has been stopped because a change was made which affects the playback of one or more audio tracks." This happens at the same timecode every time.

• I wasn't touching anything on either my computer keyboard or controllers when this occurred.
• Only happens when I bounce out stems for VO and sync sound (mono tracks).
• Auto-record is not turned on and all memory fields are set to 1|1|000.
• Toggled auto-record and memory rewind buttons, just to make sure they weren't "stuck."
• I duplicated my sequence and deleted all the tracks, except the ones I needed for my bounce and it worked fine.

Anyone have a guess as to why this is happening?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Killahurts

Re: Bounce to Disc Problem

Post by Killahurts »

Rick Cornish wrote: • I duplicated my sequence and deleted all the tracks, except the ones I needed for my bounce and it worked fine.

Anyone have a guess as to why this is happening?
JUST a guess, for sure. There was a plugin on one of those tracks you deleted, that was causing the problem.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks for the idea, killahurts. I'll check that out. There is a lot of automation in the mix, so maybe something there is causing this.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Is there a Master track? Is it turned on?

Are your tracks to be bounced all in the same bundle?

Are you actually bouncing or realtime recording and calling it bouncing?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Is there a Master track? Is it turned on?

Are your tracks to be bounced all in the same bundle?

Are you actually bouncing or realtime recording and calling it bouncing?
Thanks for the ideas…
1. Master track is on
2. Tracks are not in the same output bundle, but I'm sure that is not the problem. I'm bouncing two mono tracks (V/O and a bip, which only has content :02 before first downbeat). V/O is routed to a vocal sub, which then routes directly to the main outs to my Quartet. 2-bip routes directly to the Quartet. Can't see any way that the otherwise blank bip channel could be causing this behavior 1:37:00 into the bounce (that's :01:39:00 after the only content on that track).
3. Fair question, but yes, I am really bouncing.

Again, audio playback over the section where the pop-ups occur is fine. It only hangs when bouncing.

Since the bounce worked just fine after I deleted all my other audio tracks and VI tracks, I may try deleting those tracks one at a time to see if I can find a culprit.
Rick Cornish