SampleModeling's The Cello is now available

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: SampleModeling's The Cello is now available

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, I did get one or two crashes in SWAM last night, if I started pulling its sliders too soon after bringing up its GUI in a chunk that had not yet been opened in DP 9.1.

That's pretty specific. Non-reproducible after that point.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The brand-new Cello and Viola updates from a couple of days ago, are a HUGE step forward, and I can now see myself potentially using them on new projects (but it's too much trouble to adapt them to older projects that took a different approach to the MIDI).

Much warmer timbre now, and better phrasing. Also, the AU version of the Viola no longer fails validation and also doesn't crash any DAW's anymore.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've finally downloaded the new versions of The Cello and The Flutes. I'm sure hoping that this fixes the problem I've had with The Cello and DP 9.1. It will be a day or two before I can test anything. Very busy right now.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The brand-new Cello and Viola updates from a couple of days ago, are a HUGE step forward,
Huh?

My version from the July 13 purchase is 1.1.1. When I click on the download link from my email, it downloads the same.

Is this current or is there a later version? If there's a later version, how did you get it? I cannot find a download link anywhere on their web site.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

mikehalloran wrote: Is this current or is there a later version? If there's a later version, how did you get it? I cannot find a download link anywhere on their web site.
https://swamengine.com/swam/downloads.php
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I installed the new cello and flutes. I don't know what's different, but I doubt I could tell anyway, because The Cello still does not work with DP 9.1. Plays back fine, but put it in record mode and it overloads at any buffer setting. This is the 4th time I've reinstalled it. I don't think it's going to work. I'm surprised that others are not seeing this.

I've yet to try one other thing: dumping my DP preferences. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. I'll report back when I get that chance. Unfortunately, not today.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

The Cello itself may also have preference
somewhere..get rid of those in addition to
DP 9.1's prefs.

Another tip..make sure you have
removed all instances of the Cello before
installing the latest version. Sample Modeling's
installers do not uninstall the previous version
automatically, u have to do that manually.

Try one more complete uninstall of The
Cello as well..anything in Application Support,
its sample data, the package receipt..everything,
so that when you next install the Cello and
then launch DP, you should see the message
"Examining the Cello..."
confirming that DP is examining and validating
it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

David Polich wrote:The Cello itself may also have preference
somewhere..get rid of those in addition to
DP 9.1's prefs.

Another tip..make sure you have
removed all instances of the Cello before
installing the latest version. Sample Modeling's
installers do not uninstall the previous version
automatically, u have to do that manually.

Try one more complete uninstall of The
Cello as well..anything in Application Support,
its sample data, the package receipt..everything,
so that when you next install the Cello and
then launch DP, you should see the message
"Examining the Cello..."
confirming that DP is examining and validating
it.

I've done all the above except find preferences for the Cello. But it has started out with defaults on each of the installs, so I think the prefs are internal, that is, just default settings that get reinstalled each time. I've deleted everything manually before reinstalling, and DP has run its validation on each of my installs.

Remember, it worked perfectly in DP 9.02. It's only DP 9.1 that it overloads, and only when the MIDI track is record enabled, which of course forces it into real-time.

Also, I've reinstalled DP 9.1 once, too.

Shoosh
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Shoosh, I assume you are still using the 64 bit AU? If so, then I suggest try hosting it in Logic (which I believe you have), or GarageBand 10 (I know). If you get joy, then I think it would be safe to say that DP 9.1 is the prime suspect, which it is looking to be for a number of things. I get better performance in DP 9.1 than in MainStage for The Cello.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I really think the interface animations, while helpful and very cool, are a huge drain on the CPU. I think it would be a real plus if there was an option to turn it off. I'm wondering if the differences in GPUs might be the culprit.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cuttime wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: Is this current or is there a later version? If there's a later version, how did you get it? I cannot find a download link anywhere on their web site.
https://swamengine.com/swam/downloads.php
Thanks. I never would have found it from their product web site. Once I knew what to look for, I found it buried in an FAQ in a link at http://www.samplemodeling.com.

Unfortunately, SWAM is yet another company that has multiple web sites that are not well linked (if at all). Ok, they're not as bad as Slate Digital with five different sites and little coordination among them...
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
leleswam

Post by leleswam »

Hi all,

it's Emanuele, main developer at SWAM.

Firstly, thanks for appreciating our instruments!

If you have any issue and need support on our products, please write to info@swamengine.com or use the contact form at http://www.swamengine.com/contact/

All the info on how to update, how to ask support, how to deauthorize keys, and so on is well explained at the end of the User Manual provided with the product (BTW, the latest release of all manuals is always available at http://www.swamengine.com/manuals ).
We have just one site: http://www.swamengine.com . You can reach all sections from there. FAQs (http://www.swamengine.com/support/kb ) have another layout because we use a specific web application for that.

Sample Modeling is our distributor and partner. The site http://www.samplemodeling.com is, of course, not under our control.

As for the specific issue experienced by Shooshie, it is currently under investigation by the developers at MOTU. We are in touch with them, providing all necessary support.

Cheers!
Emanuele Parravicini
SWAM team
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

leleswam wrote:As for the specific issue experienced by Shooshie, it is currently under investigation by the developers at MOTU. We are in touch with them, providing all necessary support.
Thank you! I'm so glad to know this. Just a reminder, the problem is only happening in The Cello, and not The Flutes, in case that gives you any clues. And there was no problem in DP9.02.

Shoosh
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Sample Modeling is our distributor and partner. The site http://www.samplemodeling.com is, of course, not under our control.
The only way I could get the information I needed was because of a post I made here. There was no email or other notification and, when I clicked on the download link they sent, I received the older build.

If one can't log in or find updates or other important information on your distributor and partner's web site, that is a problem, whether under your company's control or not. Not you, personally, of course but your marketing department needs to make it easier for your customers to get the information you need. I do hope that my concerns make it to the right people.

Don't get me wrong. I am very glad to see you here. I'm really looking forward to getting as much as I can out of the cello.

Welcome!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Sorry guys, I worked almost 16 hours a day all week, at my day job, and didn't get a chance to chime back in, so I apologize for the difficulty people had finding the updates.

What I meant to say in my post was that I only found out about the update via a vi-control.net forum posting. I never received an email, and am on the email list, but I don't think the updates get advertised that way. I might have seen it at the Sample Modeling forum but I only look there every 2 months or so.

Anyway, it's good to see the vendor or reseller rep popping in here. I don't think I would have found the updates if not for the vi-control.net forum posting, which gave the actual links.

As you all probably know by now, it's a three-step process to get the SWAM updates. A PITA for those of us owning all the products, as it's a lot to keep track of while going through the multiple email clicks per product and making sure not to skip a step or miss a product amongst the full suite.