Slate plugins loading but not processing audio

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HeartwiseRecords
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Slate plugins loading but not processing audio

Post by HeartwiseRecords »

Encountering a strange issue in DP 9.02.

When opening a project, I'm finding a number of instances (but not all) of Slate plugins are loading, but not processing audio or giving meter readouts. After fiddling with them by toggling bypass, moving to another insert slot, etc, they eventually come back on. This behavior is intermittent. I've been going through each instance to verify that every one is working. Needless to say, this is super annoying.

Working fine elsewhere - Logic, Reaper, Audition...

Anyone else run into this?
2010 Mac Pro 3.46 12-core - 64GB RAM - 10.12.6
waxman

Re: Slate plugins loading but not processing audio

Post by waxman »

Choose Preferences... always run in real time.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It's called "pre-rendering." DP waits till you are idle and starts rendering the tracks, as they are. When you actually hit "Play," all or part of your music has been rendered to a very manageable level, even by slow CPUs. It is just one more way of increasing the capacity of DP. If you are running a lot of VIs, for instance, and/or automation and/or MIDI controllers, the hard work is done before you hit Play.

If you don't like it, follow Waxman's advice and turn it off globally in the plugin preferences, or turn off individual plugins by choosing "always run in real-time" in the mini-menu of each plugin window.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
NeilBlack

Post by NeilBlack »

I have the same problem with the Slate VMR. I don't really know if an instance if active or not without the window being open. It's only a problem with Slate. Switching off pretender works but I'd rather not have to do that. I know Slate are aware of this so hopefully there will be a fix before long.
DP10.1 MacPro 5.1 Hex OSX 10.14.6 24GB Ram. UA Apollo. ProAc Studio 100's. Neumann KH120's Neumann 84's / AKG / Crowley & Tripp / NTK Jolly mod. Focusrite, TLA, GAP mic pre's. Maschine 2
waxman

Post by waxman »

Shooshie gave an in depth explanation. Just to be clear... Slate Plugs work fine. I personally think they sound great and I use the VMR and Tape on almost every channel set for always run in real time. The MacPro I have is fast enough it's not an issue. Set it and forget it...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
RROY

Post by RROY »

Anyone else run into this?

Yes it happens here. Seems to be a very random problem. Occasionally Slate plug-ins not processing, as if they are bypassed, but are not. Seems bypassing then reengaging sorts them out.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
HeartwiseRecords

Thanks guys - I should have mentioned that to begin with, but pre-gen is off globally, and I've also triple checked each instance to make sure they are running in real-time. So far this is only Slate VMR, although Tape Machine is also acting up by randomly bypassing itself on startup (bypassed inside the plugin itself with the toggle switch at the lower left, not DP's insert bypass).

This can happen inside the same channel strip. For example I might have a VMR EQ in the first slot (working as expected), then some other (non-Slate) plugin in slot 2 (working), then a VMR compressor in slot 3 (NOT working). If I simply reopen the same project, those might be reversed, or they might both work, etc. No rhyme or reason to how they end up.

This is also quite obviously affecting the audio, so I don't think pre-gen is the culprit.

I'm going to open a support ticket with Slate and see what they have to say. Will report back!
waxman

Post by waxman »

that is just plain weird. Are you using the latest version of Slate Plugs that came out last week?
waxman
HeartwiseRecords

Yep, using the latest version of all Slate plugins.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Time to call tech support... Slate has great tech support
waxman
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Aha, so that explains the flakiness with the virtual tape emulator -- I have only rarely had this problem with the mix rack and never with the others.

Definitely printing this out so I either add it to my plug-in cheat sheet or remember it when I do a final pre-master run in a week or so.

I don't remember whether I went back to pre-rendering or not, after I upgraded my computer.

All I know is that the "trick" of disabling/re-enabling, or deleting and re-inserting, did the trick. For VTM, just toggling the bypass button was enough.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
gman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by gman »

that affect virtual tape machine and VMR, I can reproduce it with any big session, this has been reported for more then 6 month, Its on their known issues ,...., but no fix ,...

really not reliable plugins for DP users if it goes bypass randomly on instance, the only way to make it work is to leave them all open , until your computer struggle:)

cheers
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Have you updated to 1.6.3.1 released a few days ago?

This article has the direct download links for Mac and PC
http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/slate- ... -rack-fix/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro