Oldest Version Of DP That Works With Latest Mac OS?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rentadrummer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Oldest Version Of DP That Works With Latest Mac OS?

Post by rentadrummer »

The MOTU site shows the minimum requirements for various versions of DP, but is there a place that lists the latest version of a Mac OS that will work with an older version of DP? In other words, will DP5, 6 or 7 run on Yosemite or El Capitan, or do they stop working at some point with an OS prior to the release of Yosemite or El Capitan?

Thanks.
Ron
kassonica

Re: Oldest Version Of DP That Works With Latest Mac OS?

Post by kassonica »

7.24 runs perfectly fine on El capitan

Pretty sure though 5 and 6 wouldn't
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

5.13 and 6.03 work if you install and authorize in OS 10.6.8 with Rosetta, run Repair Permissions (can take hours) then update the OS. If something glitches and you have to reinstall, you have to bring the Mac back to OS 10.6.8 and start over again. Fun, eh?

The earliest version that installs and authorizes after 10.7 is DP 7.24. You can use any DP 7 CD and the 7.24 updater as long as your Mac can see the CD. You will get a QuickScribe font message—it is not an error. To make the msg go away, drill down to the QS font in the Applications/DP 7 folder, open the font and click on Install.

In El Cap, run Permissions Repair from Terminal. This is necessary with DP 7.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

DP 6 barely worked when it was released. Lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:DP 6 barely worked when it was released. Lol
I actually switched away from DP at V6 :vomit: (came back at v8).
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yea, I went back to 5 and didn't go forward again till I pre-ordered 8 when I got and installed 7.24.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

:rofl:

can laugh now... at the time, not so much
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

kassonica wrote:
:rofl:

can laugh now... at the time, not so much
It's a philosophical laugh, but I have trouble thinking back to any versions between the change to OS X and 6.0. DP4.0 was absolutely scary. I wondered whether I'd be able to do my job, and in fact, I delayed bringing OS X online at my clients studios until version 4.5, which was an actual version release with its own manual, not just an update. There were things that still didn't work, like Tap Tempo, which was all over the place. (it only recently was fixed in DP9)

Things started getting better after 6, with 7.0 being the best version release ever. It appears to me that what we used to call Digital Performer is gone, replaced by something that is still in development, but will be a lot better. It retains the user interface, and all the features and user architecture of the old DP, but it has been rewritten much more efficiently, with lots of new features, commands and shortcuts. Like OS X, it gives one the user experience of its predecessor, but adds so much more that you can hardly call it the same app, and the changes under the hood are huge.

I guess we can laugh, now, but there were many years of touch-and-go, wondering if we were going to get out of that rut. It took a long time. It's been 13 years since DP4 for OS X, and we're still climbing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The deficiencies of DP 6 have progressed to the status of legend, and are on the path to myth.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

bayswater wrote:The deficiencies of DP 6 have progressed to the status of legend, and are on the path to myth.
it was/is no myth, DP6 was a disaster and best forgotten
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

kassonica wrote:
bayswater wrote:The deficiencies of DP 6 have progressed to the status of legend, and are on the path to myth.
it was/is no myth, DP6 was a disaster and best forgotten
No, it's a legend, to become a myth.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

The fact that it broke my ability to save and play back synth-setup sysex dumps to and from DP still boggles my mind. Sure, it recorded 'em and played 'em back, but they were severely-corrupted and didn't pass the synths' checksums. Incredible, and worthy of myth-but-true status, methinks.
Robert Randolph wrote:
... and who in his right mind would blame you, Robert?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

Robert Randolph wrote:
Me too, and it sucks because I missed a very good version in DP7. Between DP6, which I DID actually get a stable live performance rig out of at the very least, and the BPM fiasco, I swore off purchases from MOTU for a long time. I only upgraded to 8 because a friend I collaborated with asked me to so we could be on the same version. Actually, I'm pretty sure he paid for my upgrade just to save headaches but the new version won me back and I went to 9 almost as soon as it came out.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Glad to know you're back. I think when people work in DP, and I mean really work, with lots of things that need doing, for long periods, they begin to see the light. It's taking them less time, their results are more clear to hear, the pathways from start to finish are more apparent; I mean, it just makes sense. I'll be doing things one way and thinking "this is taking a long time," and suddenly I see or remember another way, and... bam! It's done.

When I started doing this in the mid-1980s, it was always just a means to an end. I never saw myself doing it as a career, or even for money, other than enhancing my income as a performer. I guess I was just good at it, and Performer and I hit it off. People asked me to work for them, and I never even had to look for a job. Having a family to raise, that was convenient. But when I'd meet people doing what I did, but on other platforms, I saw wasted effort, unnecessary windows, inefficient actions, menus, etc. which slowed them down. I shuddered at the thought of doing what I did, on their platform. The people designing the MOTU interface and operations were musicians; I could tell that much. They knew how we work.

I used to keep up with Pro Tools and Logic, but it's been years and years. People tell me that they are much more powerful and a lot less complicated (Logic) than they used to be, and that's good, but I don't really care anymore. If MOTU ever goes away, I'll probably just stop doing this, but I doubt that I have to worry about that. DP seems to be in line to be a favorite among truly hard working musicians for a long, long time.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

DP7 was just OK for me dog, but DP8 under OS 10.8 has been great... so good, MOTU hasn't been able to lure me to 9. Sure, I've updated the computers other than my studio Mac to OS 10.11, but I'm holding out for the promised VI efficiency improvements before I consider updating my studio software.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31