DP9 refusing to quit

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ovaltine52
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9 refusing to quit

Post by ovaltine52 »

I put this here because, though this is a new issue, before I give detail, I open the file back up, sounds great, no saved work gets lost. It's just when I quit DP9, I get the desktop & spinning beach ball with the DP menu still up, & I have to force quit. But again, reopen the file, it's all there.

So here's the details: This refusing to quit thing started happening when I got Komplete 10 & started using it. Nothing out of the ordinary; I assign Kontakt to an instrument track, off I go, works/sounds great. So when it's time to quit, it does the above, & I guess all this is only just "concerning" because I can get to the finder & force quit. Then when I reopen the project, it's all there, nothing lost.

This may be something simple as I'm new to adding sounds from other companies. And I'm also using 10.11.5 El Capitan, so maybe there's a rub there?

So, has anybody been down this road? Thankew for your time!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP9 refusing to quit

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Likely a corrupted preference file, DP and/or a VI, plug, etc.

Start by deleting DPs plist.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Yea one of the issues I've noticed with DP9 is it hangs on close, On el capitan and a completely new OS

Sometimes I just wait a couple of mins and it's all good..
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
ovaltine52

Post by ovaltine52 »

MIDI Life Crisis: Sorry that I have to plead ignorance as I'm totally clueless as to what a plist is (nor could I find it), or a VI, by "plug", I'm assuming you mean "plug in". And if it was the case of a plug-in, I'd have NO idea how to troubleshoot that. Awhile back I barked up the wrong tree about an issue, & though embarrassing I did learn that corrupt folders can be deleted without messing up DP9 & in turn solve the problem, but I'm a little skeered to go in under the hood as I've had DP for quite a few years but haven't gotten serious with it until now. I'll probably copy my initial post & send it as a support request to MOTU, see what they say. I do appreciate the reply.

kassonica: Yes, I've tried walking away from it for a few minutes, still won't quit. And this does ring familiar with something not lining up with El Capitan.

It's annoying, but at least I'm not losing work.

Thankew!
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

ovaltine52 wrote:MIDI Life Crisis: Sorry that I have to plead ignorance as I'm totally clueless as to what a plist is (nor could I find it), or a VI, by "plug", I'm assuming you mean "plug in". And if it was the case of a plug-in, I'd have NO idea how to troubleshoot that. Awhile back I barked up the wrong tree about an issue, & though embarrassing I did learn that corrupt folders can be deleted without messing up DP9 & in turn solve the problem, but I'm a little skeered to go in under the hood as I've had DP for quite a few years but haven't gotten serious with it until now. I'll probably copy my initial post & send it as a support request to MOTU, see what they say. I do appreciate the reply.

kassonica: Yes, I've tried walking away from it for a few minutes, still won't quit. And this does ring familiar with something not lining up with El Capitan.

It's annoying, but at least I'm not losing work.

Thankew!

Remove all 3rd party plugins and see if it's still hanging, if it is, replace one at a time till you can find the problematic one...
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
ovaltine52

Post by ovaltine52 »

I will do that!

Thankew!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

kassonica wrote:Remove all 3rd party plugins and see if it's still hanging, if it is, replace one at a time till you can find the problematic one...
Removing or replacing one at a time takes too long and is not necessary. Don't do that.

Replace half of them. If the problem come back, the suspect plugin is in that half. Remove half of them and see if the problem persists, and so on. In each step you halve the number of plugins under suspicion. If you have 500 plugins, it will take 9 steps to isolate the culprit. Replacing one at a time, on average, will take 250 steps.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Instead of removing plugs, startup DP holding down the option key. Then disable them from there.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ovaltine52

Post by ovaltine52 »

Roger all that. Thanks for getting back to me.
ovaltine52

Post by ovaltine52 »

Thought I'd just check in & say that suddenly the problem is solved.

Since this post, I just went ahead & force quit DP after sessions. Then just recently I pulled out Guitar Rig for some work. It loaded, I worked, done, quit DP. Then as I went for "force quit" in the menu, DP quit proper.

Then I move up to 9.1. Checking it out, then quit DP, it quits proper. :?

Thankew, everyone!