Rename input column tracks window to change bundle?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Rename input column tracks window to change bundle?

Post by waxman »

Re-naming in the input column of the tracks window to change bundle would be helpful...

Yes?
No?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
stubbsonic

Re: Rename input column tracks window to change bundle?

Post by stubbsonic »

It would be useful and a pretty elegant solution. If the bundles window and the pop-menus in the inputs and outputs list could be renamed with abbreviations and each would live update the other.

I'm with you on this one. We mentioned how it would make the TO a little more space efficient so you could see more (especially on a laptop monitor).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

waxman wrote:Re-naming in the input column of the tracks window to change bundle would be helpful...

Yes?
No?
No. It would be better to have a panel that is not specific to a project where you can assign and save sets of custom names to device channels. Maybe somewhere in the lower reaches of the Setup menu where other hardware settings appear.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That's a good point. Though, like clippings, I could see how having BOTH project-specific names and global/permanent names.

I wonder if this is best handled either at the OS/CoreAudio/AudioMIDI Setup level -- to name the i/o there. Or if the manufacturer could be approached to provide a device driver with short names.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

waxman

Post by waxman »

Shift U is not the end of the world but it's one more break in the action. To be looking right at the Tracks Window and not being able to do anything about it is a drag... especially some long name like Maschine Studio channel 1 Port 4... that takes a lot of real estate. So I change it in the audio MIDI setting. Again it's right there? Why? Maybe the code to go out and change bundles and audio MIDI setting is not practical...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Exactly. There are so many ways you can have a break in the flow. And often, when we see larger updates, there are little workflow enhancements just like this. The things we do most often should take priority, but also things that let you optimize screen real estate should be things we only have to do ONCE!! With you 100% on this.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Or if the manufacturer could be approached to provide a device driver with short names.
My understand is the CoreAudio driver publishers channel names that audio applications are supposed to be able to pick up and use. You see this explicitly in Logic. Perhaps if no names are provided they default to input1, etc.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8