Should I encrypt my external record drives?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Should I encrypt my external record drives?

Post by rosindabow »

Hello - I've never done this before and I was wondering if I were to encrypt the external hard drives would it affect the recording process? I'v never encrypted a drive before ... Thanks.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
HCMarkus

Re: Should I encrypt my external record drives?

Post by HCMarkus »

Does the music incorporate state or personal secrets? If not, I'd recommend against it if for no other reason than the theoretical overhead necessarily incurred by encryption/decryption. Performance has got to take a hit somewhere in the chain.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Performance will take a large hit, possibly fatal depending on what you're doing, even with SS drives in my experience. I did some experiments last year and backed away quickly.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

EMRR wrote:Performance will take a large hit, possibly fatal depending on what you're doing, even with SS drives in my experience. I did some experiments last year and backed away quickly.
Don't store passwords, credit cards or other personal data on these drives. Yo may have to store license info depending upon what you are putting on them.

If you don't have a reason to encrypt them then there's no need, right?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:If you don't have a reason to encrypt them then there's no need, right?
But... but... they're watching me!
:shock:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

In all fairness, the o/p location is "near the blue." So the cops really might be after him.

ENCRYPT EVERYTHING! TWICE!!!

Seriously, Mr. o/p... why would you want to do that? If you don't know, then don't. I certainly can't think of a reason to do so. Encryption slows everything down to a crawl and unless you've got serious military grade concerns about security, just leave things alone! :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The worst thing that happens with encryption is that you may never see your files again. Two ways that can happen: you forget/lose the password, or it burps some code and collapses into a heap of 1's and 0's. Every time I've tried encrypting things, it has ended badly, and I never lost a password. One day it just wouldn't work. Of course, this was years ago, when these things had not been perfected. But I say avoid encryption unless there's a lot at stake and it's a serious threat.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|