MIDI editor, Score editor - questions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
foorere
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI editor, Score editor - questions

Post by foorere »

Dear everyone,
I have several questions, perhaps I will have more in time to come.

1. When I edit in the MIDI editor, can I select a note and (by a shortcut or otherwise)
- move or copy it by octave above/below
- move or copy it into another track

2. Is there in the Quick scribe (score) any way to notate grace notes? Some of the notes are impossible to notate by quantisation, because the notation output will be terribly wrong.
(I have learned English in 35 days, please have understanding ...)
foorere

Re: MIDI editor, Score editor - questions

Post by foorere »

3. Is it possible to edit voicing in the score, or MIDI editor? Let us say, selected notes belong to Voice 1 another to voice 2?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

1. I mostly just use drag (to move) and option-drag to copy within the MIDI editor. You can execute the command to open the Transpose window and it will remember the last values you entered, so you can make that happen pretty quickly. If I want to move specific notes to another track, I either use copy/paste, or I make the selection in the graphic editor, then switch windows to the tracks overview and drag the selection to another track.

2. I don't think there is a way to do grace notes in DP. For more specific notation needs, it's probably better to switch over to a notation program. Muse Score is free, and might do what you need.

3. DP will automatically manage multiple voices on a single track (if rhythms overlap in a particular way). But there isn't a way to manage that manually apart from splitting the parts out to separate tracks. Again, a dedicated notation program is the way to go there.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You can export via MusicXML from DP 9 — the manual explains how.

I find that MusicXML import works best in Finale. No surprises there since Michael Good, the inventor of M-XML, works for them.

M-XML import is barely passable into MuseScore but it can be made to work if you try hard. MuseScore is free, can't argue with that.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I just noticed you have Sibelius in your sig. Yea, might as well start there. I imagine Sibelius will cover those requirements. If you don't like your Sibelius, you should be able to cross-grade to Finale (if you want to) for a reduced price..
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

foorere

Post by foorere »

The greatest problem is to clean up the MIDI file (improvised): to adjust beats & to make Time Signature changes.
The rest of notation is than pretty easy, since I do mostly everything by hand.

Practically, I need to get a visually clear, satisfying notation (on the Grand Staff, particello kind of...) and than to arrange it for ensemble.
foorere

Post by foorere »

Another question, sometimes a note in the Grand Staff is found below sometimes above. How to move a note from one to the another staff in Grand Staff?
Example:

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

My workaround was to put treble clef on one track and bass clef (or the 2nd staff) on another track so I could move things between them. Just select both tracks before you open the QS window.

foorere

Post by foorere »

stubbsonic wrote:My workaround was to put treble clef on one track and bass clef (or the 2nd staff) on another track so I could move things between them. Just select both tracks before you open the QS window.
Thanks, but I don't know how.
I have just one track. And why does it differ, the same phrase notated differently?
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

foorere wrote:
Thanks, but I don't know how.
I have just one track. And why does it differ, the same phrase notated differently?
Use the Region>Split Notes function to split a single track into two tracks for two staves.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You can create a second track and select everything below the pitch you want to have in each track. After that, you will need to go and find any exceptions that you want to move from one track to the other and just drag them. I'd suggest selecting them while in the notation window then switch to the tracks overview and just drag them vertically to the other track.

There are sometimes no obvious reasons why DP interprets something differently like this. My guess is that there is some note that is slightly overhanging the others so DP felt it needed to split the voice/line.

Depending on what my final goal is, I will sometimes create two copies of tracks one is for playback/listening, and another is strictly for notation (quickscribe). With the latter, I do quantization and include note-ends so that I can really manage how the notation looks.

If you need more details, ask. I'm happy to help.

foorere

Post by foorere »

stubbsonic wrote: There are sometimes no obvious reasons why DP interprets something differently like this. My guess is that there is some note that is slightly overhanging the others so DP felt it needed to split the voice/line.
Interesting, these are exact copy of each other. I just copy/paste the same phrase, and in the first interpretation the note F# is moved down, in the another is moved up (the same).

So, basically there is no way to move note to the upper stave? Just to mention: this is the Grand Staff and only one line is played on one track.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Quickscribe is clearly not a replacement for a pro level notation editor. At this point in time only Sibelius :vomit: and Finale :dance: are viable contenders IMO. You'll find all sorts of things QS can't do. If you're serious about notation, get S. or F. Just my opinion... :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
foorere

Post by foorere »

I am pretty fluent in both Finale and Sibelius.
However, this is just cleaning up the improvisation, and I wanted just to move one note from LH to RH in the piano staff... :roll:
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I do like the way DP interprets rhythms. I wish MOTU had stayed with either Professional Composer or Composer's Mosaic. If they'd devoted resources to it, there's no telling what we'd have now. But I'm fine with Sibelius, which is actually a great app, like Finale.

Anyway, I have no explanation for why DP chooses one way then another for displaying the exact same piece of music. But once you clean up a MIDI performance in DP, it transfers well to either Sibelius or Finale.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|