Korg SQ-1 & DP 9 Sync

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
yavn
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Korg SQ-1 & DP 9 Sync

Post by yavn »

I just purchased a Korg SQ-1 Step Squencer and have not been able to sycn it to DP 9.02. I'd like to have it slave to DP.

I have it connected to the Mac via USB. I have "Transmit beat clocks vis port(s)" set to (the USB port, not the MIDI Out). "24 clocks per quarter note" is also set. "Transmit MTC to" is set to None.

I'm using a pair of Beatsteps in the same way, and they work perfectly.

As a work around I have a Korg Volca Beats connected via MIDI sending a Sync Out to the Sync In on the SQ-1.

Any help would be much apreciated.
Thanks!
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Korg SQ-1 & DP 9 Sync

Post by philbrown »

Reading the SQ-1 manual it appears it will not sync via USB, only the sync port.
So it sounds like you've already figured out the workaround.
Weird they would leave that functionality out.
I was thinking I might add one to my modular synth, but that's a deal breaker for me.
IN - SYNC - OUT jacks
Connect these jacks to an analog synthesizer such as the volca series or the monotribe, so that the two units will operate in synchronization. The SYNC OUT jack outputs a 5V pulse that’s 15 ms long at the beginning of each step. If you connect the SYNC OUT jack of a volca series unit or the monotribe to the SYNC IN jack of the SQ-1, the step clock of the SQ-1 is ignored, and steps advance according to the pulses that are input. Use this if you want steps to synchronize to the pulses that are output from a monotribe or other analog sequencer, or from an audio output of your DAW.
(USB) jack
Connect this to your computer if you want to control a software synthesizer from the SQ-1. The USB connection is also used to update the SQ-1’s operating system software. If this is connected, the SQ-1 will be powered by USB bus power.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce