Diamond Drive is cool

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Diamond Drive is cool

Post by philbrown »

I had a bass track that was played well, fat (Gretsch Thunderjet) all good, but just needed to 'pop' a little more. Tried half a dozen EQ's and that many compressors. Everything I tried lost something. Then had a notion to try MOTU's Diamond Drive. Really transformed the track. I've used it before as a not-so-secret weapon to punch up various tracks- even vocals. It rocks. Try it on stuff.

2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
kassonica

Re: Diamond Drive is cool

Post by kassonica »

I find the big muff plugin quite incredible and I have a real one..

Mainly for bass and synths

they are well coded plugins
Last edited by kassonica on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

philbrown wrote:I had a bass track that was played well, fat (Gretsch Thunderjet) all good, but just needed to 'pop' a little more. Tried half a dozen EQ's and that many compressors. Everything I tried lost something. Then had a notion to try MOTU's Diamond Drive. Really transformed the track. I've used it before as a not-so-secret weapon to punch up various tracks- even vocals. It rocks. Try it on stuff.

Never thought of trying the VooDoo Labs one (Sparkle Drive) I have on my pedalboard on bass - have to give it a shot. Will also have to a/b the MOTU one versus the real thing. At least the s/w one doesn't need batteries or a power supply :D
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Never thought of trying the VooDoo Labs one (Sparkle Drive) I have on my pedalboard on bass - have to give it a shot. Will also have to a/b the MOTU one versus the real thing. At least the s/w one doesn't need batteries or a power supply :D
I'd like to try a real one sometime. I don't recall ever playing one.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Sparkle Drive (the hardware pedal) is really cool. I love it for clean Strat sounds. MOTU's Diamond Drive plugin definitely has that vibe.. I have also used it on vocals, bass, some drums and an Irish fiddle.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Killahurts wrote:Sparkle Drive (the hardware pedal) is really cool. I love it for clean Strat sounds. MOTU's Diamond Drive plugin definitely has that vibe.. I have also used it on vocals, bass, some drums and an Irish fiddle.
Cool. I think the reason I never tried a real one is that (IIRC) the distortion is based on the Tube Screamer and I never cared for that sound. But after using the plug-in I see more of the logic of mixing just a little distortion back in, kind of like the the old parallel compression trick. That's how I use it anyway. The screnshot above shows the settings I used on this particular bass track. The clean boost has some character to it as well.

Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

philbrown wrote:
Killahurts wrote:Sparkle Drive (the hardware pedal) is really cool. I love it for clean Strat sounds. MOTU's Diamond Drive plugin definitely has that vibe.. I have also used it on vocals, bass, some drums and an Irish fiddle.
Cool. I think the reason I never tried a real one is that (IIRC) the distortion is based on the Tube Screamer and I never cared for that sound. But after using the plug-in I see more of the logic of mixing just a little distortion back in, kind of like the the old parallel compression trick. That's how I use it anyway. The screnshot above shows the settings I used on this particular bass track. The clean boost has some character to it as well.
Yes that's the best part, IMO. To dirty up clean, give it some character and have it still be clean, is the magic in that box. I actually like the plugin more than the hardware, because it is consistent.. the pedal sounds slightly different on different days, depending on its mood, lol! I guess that's where they get the "Voodoo" namesake.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Killahurts wrote:I actually like the plugin more than the hardware, because it is consistent.. the pedal sounds slightly different on different days, depending on its mood, lol! I guess that's where they get the "Voodoo" namesake.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My go-to plug for this is Izotope Trash 2
I can't stand my Big Muff Pi — never could. It's interesting enough on single string but when fed multiple notes or chords, it turns to mush. Also, when the string is picked harder, the note seems to get softer as it compresses.

My buddy and I were just discussing these the other day when he told me how much he got for his on eBay—damn, money sitting on a shelf!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:
I can't stand my Big Muff Pi — never could. It's interesting enough on single string but when fed multiple notes or chords, it turns to mush. Also, when the string is picked harder, the note seems to get softer as it compresses.

My buddy and I were just discussing these the other day when he told me how much he got for his on eBay—damn, money sitting on a shelf!
Back when I had mine I found that it was highly sensitive to pickups; the DiMarzio Super Distortion pickup drove it crazy kind of like you mentioned but the DiMarzio Paf in the same guitar played sweet through it. I found it had to be first in the chain from my guitar (modified Les Paul gold top).
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I still have my Muff from the 1800's.
I put it on my live board for a while last year to get that cello-y sound.
Fun through a wah pedal too, really res-o-nates.
EDIT: actually I ran the wah first.

VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

Wow - cool. Just tried it on a bass track and it injected the necessary juice needed. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian