Score editor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Score editor

Post by mikehalloran »

Notion imports DP files really nicely, and I can do pretty much everything I need to do in it.
Which is the important thing.
It is not as full-featured as Finale and Sibelius....
Yep. I use Encore for the 'not full featured' tasks. I have been looking at Overture since it is similar to Encore at its heart but the v.5 growing pains... ouch!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

foorere wrote:Thanks Shooshie.
I think you are the reason why I become more interested in DP9.
Look: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60572&hilit=adjust+beats#p514116

I have already explored this and learned a lot from you.
I was just curious that the post above is about something else I didn't know.

I will update you along my work.
Here is my firs question: I exported a MIDI file from Ableton. When I inserted it in DP I get chunks of files, not one complete line:

OK. Permit me to expand on this topic, because you've hit upon one of the fundamentals that separate DP from most other DAWs: Region Objects (other DAWs) vs. Region Selections (DP). The "chunks of files" in the Tracks Window are merely representations of your MIDI, broken according to the rules governed by your preferences. You could call them "regions," but they're really just parsed phrases. They can be very helpful, and it's even possible to override them in the Tracks Window with OPTION-CONTROL-DRAG +COMMAND (after clicking), and select only what you want to select within them.

Here are the preference settings for parsing phrases:
Preferences: Editing / Tracks Overview / Phrase Settings
In the preferences, you can control the way DP parses phrases to some degree, but you're rarely going to get an entire block of MIDI the way you do in Logic. There is a reason for that.

Logic treats MIDI as a block of objects. DP treats MIDI as selectable events. In Logic, you work with objects; in DP you work with MIDI Selections. (The link is about selecting notes and control points together to move, cut, copy, etc. in sync. Looks complicated, takes a fraction of a second to do it.)

Why am I telling you all this? Because it's the fundamental difference between DP and Logic. People like Logic because they can click and drag their entire MIDI block in one move. I find that I rarely need to do that, and if I do, it's extremely easy to select large blocks of MIDI. What I am usually doing is working with individual notes or group of notes, controllers, velocities, etc. DP is designed to make selection a breeze if you know the many, many ways to select things. I like DP, because I don't have to override blocks on every single move I make.

That said, experiment with phrase parsing or blocks of MIDI in the Tracks Overview Prefs. You may find it helpful. Sometimes I do. Sometimes its irrelevant. What's more important is learning to select what you want, quickly, using the many, many methods of selection in DP.

Some ways to select:
  • • Mouse: Drag and Shift-Drag. Hint: hold down SHIFT as you mouse through the window to prevent your selection from being lost by errant clicking.) Hold down Shift-Drag (add to selection) or Option-Shift-Drag (delete from selection) to hone your selection. Use on any or all MIDI events.
    • Select by Controller, by Velocity, or other events in the lower part of the MIDI Edit Window. Using the "SHOW ONLY" check-box at the bottom left corner of the window, you can show all events like the one(s) currently selected. Your selections and actions will perform only on those events.
    • Mouse: Double-click a note in a track to select all notes in that track
    • MIDI "keyboard" on the left of the MIDI tracks: double click a note to select all instances of that note in the current visible track(s).
    • Split Notes: Menus: Region/Split Notes. Follow the dialog carefully till you get the hang of it. Very powerful feature. (not specifically a selection tool, but selects and applies action in one click.)
    • Search: Menus: Edit/Search. (Tip: this can build on current selection, and you can have many criteria, both time and attribute based.)
    • Select from different windows: Event list excels in seeing and selecting exactly what you want amid a sea of data. Sequence Editor excels in selecting controllers and notes together, or individual lanes of controllers. Tracks Window excels at selection by barline, or by parsed blocks of MIDI. MIDI Editor excels at just about everything.
    • Markers: Click on a marker to select from that marker to the next. (or to the end, if it's the last marker) Works in the Marker Window or in the edit windows or Tracks Window.
    • Tracks Window: Select blocks of MIDI by bars or by parsed phrases. Hold CONTROL-OPTION to select a bar, otherwise you'll get the parsed phrase. After clicking with CONTROL-OPTION, add the COMMAND key to select any range, overriding bars and phrases.
    • Select by Range or by Event, or by either: Preferences: Editing / Tools / Cursor Selection Mode. There are also keyboard commands for those. Go to the Commands Window (Shift-L)
The Search feature (Menus: Edit/Search or CONTROL-S) is extremely detailed in what it can find and what to do with it. Save all your searches, because you can use them again in any DP file.

For example, I just received a MIDI file from someone who had managed to put hundreds of key changes in the conductor track, all in the key of F Major, and most of them sharing a location with 3 others. Whatever hamstrung DAW he used added a key change to each track in each section. In other words, in the conductor track they would be hard to select, because they overlap 3 other identical key changes, 4 at a time, thus requiring a menu to select the key change you want to work with. So, deletion would have been tedious and time consuming going through the conductor track key-change menus in the graphic windows.
In this case, using the Event List is a lot faster than the graphic edit windows for this particular thing, because you can easily select key changes and other conductor events when they happen together. (see screenshot below).
But with so many, scattered through the entire piece, it would have taken a long time. The answer? Search. I set up this dialog:
and instantly they were all selected. I de-selected the first one, which I wanted to keep, and then hit Delete. Problem solved. Took all of 10 seconds to do the whole thing. Maybe less.

Sorry to turn this into an unsolicited tutorial, but it's something that comes up a lot, and I thought a detailed post on how we approach selections in DP might help.

By the way, the Tracks Window is overlooked by a lot of people. There's a post in the DP Tips Sheet called "Secrets of the Tracks Overview Window," which contains a few tips that help me make it part of my workflow.
I know this feels like the tip of the iceberg, but if you start in DP with the assumption that you're going to be learning to create and hold complex selections, easily and quickly, you will quickly flatten out the learning curve. Those phrases in the Tracks Overview Window will find some usefulness as you figure out what they are and what they do. They never become the MIDI Region Object of Logic, but they are still very useful. The Tracks Window, by the way, is especially useful for large-scale editing, such as swapping choruses, inserting a whole new section, and that sort of thing. It's also unsurpassed for merging tracks, moving tracks, setting up loops, moving blocks of events, and setting up many kinds of complicated selections.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

More on parsing phrases in the Tracks Overview Window. (Now just called Tracks Window)

Here are two examples of phrases forced to break at 4 bars and 8 bars:

Four Bar PhrasesImage
  • Preferences:
Eight Bar Phrases
  • Preferences:
You can set it to break them up at any length, really. Or you can let DP decide how to keep phrases together, with a little help from you. (you set the max block length, where blocks are over x bars long)

This works a little more like other DAWs which give you blocks of events to select. Of course, it only selects them. If you want to move them in the Tracks Window, they stay together as a region block. If you switch to another window, you will still be working with selections. I like having this particular set of choices. You get a little of the region flavor without having to override regions to work on individual notes, which is most of what I do.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
foorere

Post by foorere »

Thank you Shooshie, again it is very helpful and very useful.
Sorry for moving out of the topic question (it seems interesting for now), but why is phrase parsing important in DP? In Logic you can cut one block in separate chunks, but is it possible in DP the opposite: to get one block?
The small problem I face is that I am not sure how the complete MIDI file was broken, what the dynamic phrase parsing does to my file.
Also the empty blocks seem to me very strange, since it is not empty (for instance, Pedal was hold down across).
(I have learned English in 35 days, please have understanding ...)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

foorere wrote:Thank you Shooshie, again it is very helpful and very useful.
Sorry for moving out of the topic question (it seems interesting for now), but why is phrase parsing important in DP? In Logic you can cut one block in separate chunks, but is it possible in DP the opposite: to get one block?
The small problem I face is that I am not sure how the complete MIDI file was broken, what the dynamic phrase parsing does to my file.
Also the empty blocks seem to me very strange, since it is not empty (for instance, Pedal was hold down across).
You can get blocks up to 9 bars in length. The field won't accept a 2 digit number, or rather, it will accept the number, but it only acts on the first digit. So, to tell it to put it in a 12 bar block, it will use 1 bar blocks instead. But you can tell it to use 1 bar through 9 bars for blocks. I find 1, 2, 4 and 8 bar blocks useful.

Study the pictures above. You'll see how to do it. Actually, you can still control block length even when you have DP parse the phrase. Just play with it until you have figured out its parameters. That's what I did, long ago, and I still have to do it now and then to remember how it works. But you'll see in the pictures above the settings I used for 4 bars and for 8 bars.

Is it useful? Sometimes. Frankly, I find that doing blocks of MIDI like that is counter-productive except for when I use the Tracks Window's blocks to select MIDI events and move them around. The Tracks window excels at moving blocks of MIDI from track to track, either merging with what's in another track or just moving it.

I realize that my long post above is kind of dense, but it answers some of your questions. You'd actually have to read it and do a "hands-on" learning session with my post in hand to understand what is important there. It does make sense when you get into it.

The essential nature of DP is in learning to use Selections. The post above tells you how to do that. Selections are the key to everything. You select what you want, and you act on it. Learning how to select complicated groups of events and hold those selections without losing them while performing various actions on them is the key to learning to use DP at speed.

If you try to make DP behave like Logic, you will fail, and you will be frustrated and wonder why anyone uses DP. If you learn to think freely and "improvise" on the problem at hand, you'll see how MIDI is meant to be managed. DP is one of the great tools of all time for MIDI, and I think it ranks right up at the top for audio, too.

Shooshie
foorere

Post by foorere »

Thank you Shoosie.
English is not my native (mother) tongue. So I have to read multiple times so that I understand it completely (however, I am not sure if I did! :roll: )
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm a bit too tired at this late hour to take in all the details, as this is a new topic that already has a lot of rich and deep responses, but some of what I read has me wondering whether I'm the only one who transcribes to paper first?

Admittedly, I haven't spent enough time with my notation programs yet to have developed shortcuts, macros, or good memory for tools and workflow.

For those who have, do you find that this makes Finale etc. fast enough, and direct enough (i.e. don't have to do all the half notes first, then the quarter notes, etc. in a non-linear way and neither get confused or start forgetting your ideas), to substitute for initial paper and pen/pencil?

I tend to write in my sleep, and I am able to wake up (I trained my brain to be able to do this) and quickly capture up to 90% or more using special shorthand techniques, so that I don't get too far into the fully awake and physically aware, body aware conscious state to lose access to the ideas. This plays a big part in my sticking to paper and pen initially.

Also though, I tend to have inspirations while walking to or from the commuter rail (BART rapid transit) or while on the train. I have refused to pollute my life with battery based devices such as mobile smart phones or laptops, so once again it's paper and pen initially -- at which I am EXTREMELY fast as I know better than to write everything down.

I see composition as a form of architecture. Write down the structure or essence of the idea right away, and don't focus on the details as doing so will lose the big picture and the details will come back automatically anyway if the proper cues (via shorthand techniques) are placed.

Possibly notation programs can be used in such a fashion as well, if one is already in an active session when inspiration hits?

I know this is slightly orthogonal to the discussion, but it seems pertinent as the main gist of all of this talk so far is about tools and workflows that allow for the fastest and most complete capture of an idea with the lowest risk of losing all or part of what is in the mind.

Once I have formalized an idea, I find it unnecessary to render it or refine the notation further, until ready for final preparations, as I still remember just about every note and nuance of everything from the past 40 years. I've always wondered how the brain does that, but I suppose it's no different than how we remember all the parts we play, or especially how singers and actors remember three hours worth of sung words or dialog (or even the memorization of scripture)!

I think the bottom line is that the act of notating something, is primarily focused on the main story and the cues and transitions (in every sense of that word). The "language of music" seems to fill in the rest.

As for me, it depends on the genre and instrumentation, but I tend to go to notation programs first whenever I am doing choral work, as I'm so used to seeing SATB scores from my earlier days; whereas I never really had training in reading full or reduced orchestral scores so I don't tend to see such arrangements in my head as that sort of mental image.

Sorry this is somewhat philosophical in nature, but it's starting to drive at the "one shoe doesn't fit all" aspect, and that it might be "horses for courses". It's always fun to learn from others' experiences and worklfows from the creation stage to the realization phase.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I still use pencil. A #9 mechanical pencil is now my favorite because I can easily control line thickness and it won't break when I write fast (and "decisively").

However, I use several different workflows. Sometimes I write chords w pencil, and improvise melodies with MIDI, sometimes I don't even launch DP until I'm mostly done scribbling with pencil while sitting at the piano (or sometimes guitar).

Sometimes I do everything with MIDI and then go into a ridiculously time-consuming editing phase. The editing is really the composing. Which is why I've been so pissy about DP's MIDI note selection and dragging functionality which has been messed up for years.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
foorere

Post by foorere »

Thanks guys.
Yes, I do everything by hand and soft pencil (2B or 3B).
I even don't engrave in Finale, I have a very affordable copyist in Argentina.

@mhschmieder: you are not alone. Me too get inspiration at trains. And I write by hand what I hear, by words or symbols...

The main problem is the composer's block. So, I stress myself until deadline is hitting me strongly. I released that I get the most from improvisations. Some of improvisations are "almost" complete compositions. So, why not to improvise more, and to notate more?

So my approach would be:
1. fantasy ideas at trains etc
2. writing by words, sketching by pencil
3. recording improvisation
4. cleaning up improvisation in DP
5. composing by hand from the improvisation output
6. copyist typing into Finale.
stubbsonic wrote:Which is why I've been so pissy about DP's MIDI note selection and dragging functionality which has been messed up for years.
Can you give me more info about this, I am not sure what you mean.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

foorere wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:Which is why I've been so pissy about DP's MIDI note selection and dragging functionality which has been messed up for years.
Can you give me more info about this, I am not sure what you mean.
To put this into perspective, these things don't seem to bother anyone but me, so it is nothing for you to be too concerned about.

LONG AGO, DP had a very responsive MIDI graphic editor and I was very fast with it. Over various updates/versions, three things changed.

1. In the MIDI graphic editor, when the grid is set to 8ths or shorter, when dragging MIDI notes, DP appears to skips over the original position of the notes-- even if that is your desired location. It can feel a bit like DP is "fighting" me. It has been this way at least since DP4. This is now on the official bug list, MOTU is aware, but hasn't successfully squashed it yet.

2. I always want DP to apply my lasso selection exactly as I render it. ALWAYS. If I want a specific range of notes, I drag from JUST-BEFORE and ABOVE, to JUST-AFTER and BELOW.

DP's selection since DP2? now always follows the grid-snap state. I prefer to keep grid snap on so that dragging always snaps, and so I don't accidentally move a note off it's original time position when changing pitches. Now when I select, it snaps my "JUST BEFORE" to right on the beat. , and notes that are few ticks early will be rejected from the selection. Grid-snap can be toggled on/off with the COMMAND key. So if I want to keep grid on for dragging, and off for selection, one hand has to "live" on the COMMAND key. It's not a bug, it is perhaps geared toward people who mostly hard-quantize, and I don't.

3. The way DP responds to drag movements has changed. I confirmed this by loading DP4 onto a PPC. It was snappy and responsive and felt very immediate. They had it right before, now it's just more sluggish. Since DP has been "rebuilt" from the ground up many times, it's easy to imagine some things just got lost in the translations.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
foorere

Post by foorere »

mhschmieder wrote:
I tend to write in my sleep, and I am able to wake up (I trained my brain to be able to do this) and quickly capture up to 90% or more using special shorthand techniques, so that I don't get too far into the fully awake and physically aware, body aware conscious state to lose access to the ideas. This plays a big part in my sticking to paper and pen initially.
What are your special shorthand techniques? Wouldn't be great to share with us?
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

foorere wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:
What are your special shorthand techniques? Wouldn't be great to share with us?
I would love to hear of such shorthand techniques myself. It drives me crazy how the mind will come out of that nice "right-brain" space and allow the "left-brain" to bog one down in details too soon!

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I keep a notebook of score paper, printed on my printer, handy on a shelf near my desk. I don't write in bed, but if I wake up with a tune in mind, I'll take a moment to try to get it clearly "visualized" before getting up, so that I know the tune and it doesn't fade into the ether while I walk to my desk. When I write it down, I write relative to the tonic pitch, so that if I make a mistake and write the wrong pitch, my intervals don't get off after that. When I'm in a hurry, writing henscratch or fly sh*t, sometimes I do just go from pitch to pitch, and if I make an error with an accidental or something, everything after that is off, though I usually realize it within a note or two. So, I have tried to discipline myself to write relative to the tonic, and when it modulates, of course, the new tonic. I don't worry about actual pitch. If I go looking for a reference pitch to be sure I'm on key, I'm more likely to forget something in the song I've imagined. Just go for it and transpose it later if you're wrong. I may write a few notes of harmony, especially if it's rhythmically important as in a suspended 4th or something, but usually I just write roman numerals to remind me of the harmonic context. Focusing too much on details kills the memory.