Envelope scale for multimode filter freq?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Envelope scale for multimode filter freq?

Post by mesayre »

Hey all,
I'm attempting to automate the center frequency of the MOTU Multimode filter plugin. But when I do, the automation is on strange scale. So the center of the lane is something like 15000 Hz. Not real handy, as I'd like to automate between about 250-600Hz. I end up drawing these teeny tiny lines in the very bottom of the lane. Nearly unusable for any detailed automation work. It would be easier if the center point were somewhere like 1K, or maybe even 5K. I have the biFilter2 VST, and it places its centerpoint at 1K.

I assume DP has nothing to do with the scale of a parameter, and it's up to the plugin to present and label it. But I thought I'd consult the oracle here and see if there's some preference I'm not aware of somewhere. Is there some way to change the display scale of an automation envelope?

Thanks

DP 8.07, Windows 10.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Envelope scale for multimode filter freq?

Post by bayswater »

The range I'm seeing in the Sequence Editor for Centre Frequency for the Multimode filters is 20 to 3K which is the range on the knob. Maybe try recording some movements of that knob using real time automation recording, and see how the result is displayed. Since the filter is only capable of generating data from 20 to 3K, you should expect that to show up in the editor lanes.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, because my Multimode plugin center-freq knob definitely goes all the way down to 20 Hz, and all the way up to 30k.

(Sorry, can't figure out how to make this bigger). The "Center" parameter is 185 in this image. Interestingly, on the plug interface itself the center point of the knob is 1 kHz, but in the sequence editor the centerpoint is the linear center of the 30kHz range, 15kHz.

When I automate this knob in the range I want (1k or so) I get these little lines down at the bottom. Shown here:

Do we have different versions of this plug, or something? I have Multimode filter version 2.4.2, which I'm using in DP8.07
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

Sorry, you're right. I was looking at this on my laptop with tiny font and mistook 30000 for 3000. I tried the zoom slider and that had no effect, nor does the zoom tool which only changes the timeline.

About all you can do is zoom in so the track takes up the entire screen, or use the Event editor.

If no one else comes up with a way to zoom this, it should be reported on a Tech Link. It's pretty useless as it is.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8