Issue with layouts

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bleach30
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Issue with layouts

Post by bleach30 »

So the new layouts is great in theory but I'm having problems and was wondering if any of you have the same.

First...why can't layouts be stored and recalled with a template? I get having them associated with a project but we use templates for a reason. It would be nice if layouts were kept with a template for recalling common things.

Second..layouts saved in a project are not being recalled. The layouts and the key commands are there but completely non-functional.

I just tried this with 9.02 and it's the same.

Am I missing something? Or is this how it is?

Thanks
bleach30

Re: Issue with layouts

Post by bleach30 »

And one more thing..It would be nice to be able to "update" a layout without having to re-assign the quick keys.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Layouts are general. They are not specific to a project. They can be applied to whatever project you have open.

If you save a template, the layout in effect when you save it should be present when you open it. You can then apply another layout to the project once the template is loaded, and then resave the template.

About updating layouts: it is what it is: you have to save it with an existing name and existing key command, and tell DP, yes you want to update it. Being able to update a layout would be useful for a while, but over time, my layouts have become stable. If you're changing them all the time, there's not really much point in having them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Hmmm..ok. I guess I'm doing something wrong then (no surprise).

Yes I agree if I'm constantly changing the layout then whats the point but when I'm creating a layout I find myself wanting to add some tracks to a layout thats already been created..it's no big deal really just to do it the way it is..just an observation.

Thanks for the reply!