solo from sequence editor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: solo from sequence editor

Post by waxman »

I keep the channel strip open in the Tracks window and since I need vertical length I use 3 columns. So that would be a deal killer in the SE . I constantly open and close the SE window (shift S and Command W). Sometimes I have it on the Raven if I'm doing fine detail work and sometimes on the center monitor if I'm just making some cuts and fades or adjusting bites. The priority is the horizontal length for editing. Once the track lanes happened the SE window became so helpful. So really how hard is a solo button? There is a ton of room on each track. Maybe the resizing is an issue. Even just being able to option click the play button or something simple in a keystroke. Anyway bottom line is the SE window works great and no solo is not the end of the world. I truly expected when I asked Shooshie would have the wizbang short cut. I'm surprised it's not there and MOTU needs to fix it IMO...

Robert Randolph wrote:You guys really ought to have the channel strip window docked in the side anytime you are using the sequence editor. It makes a huge difference.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

You really ought to consider leaving your Sequence Editor open constantly in its own Space. (with Mission Control, that is) I do that sometimes. Normally, here's my set of spaces:
  • 1: Consolidated Window with Tracks, Sequence Editor, and assorted small panes in the margins.
    2: Mixing Board, sometimes with a few plugins that stay open around it, unless it's a big mixer, in which case the plugins get their own space.
    3: MIDI Edit Window
    4: VSL String Section interfaces (five VSL interfaces arranged on the screen so that I can see 4 at a time, and most of the 5th (center).
    5: Wallander Instruments
    6: Kontakt (if needed, which is rarely), Ivory, other VIs and plugins.
If I add the Sequence Editor, it becomes #3, and the rest shift down. Occasionally I'll add a 7th, but I try to keep it small rather than having every single window open.

Using the Mission Control F-key, setup is easy and quick, but you DO have to set up some windows for each chunk. Others basically stay put and adjust to the next chunk.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
waxman

Post by waxman »

Shooshie wrote:You really ought to consider leaving your Sequence Editor open constantly in its own Space. (with Mission Control, that is) I do that sometimes. Normally, here's my set of spaces:
  • 1: Consolidated Window with Tracks, Sequence Editor, and assorted small panes in the margins.
    2: Mixing Board, sometimes with a few plugins that stay open around it, unless it's a big mixer, in which case the plugins get their own space.
    3: MIDI Edit Window
    4: VSL String Section interfaces (five VSL interfaces arranged on the screen so that I can see 4 at a time, and most of the 5th (center).
    5: Wallander Instruments
    6: Kontakt (if needed, which is rarely), Ivory, other VIs and plugins.

If I add the Sequence Editor, it becomes #3, and the rest shift down. Occasionally I'll add a 7th, but I try to keep it small rather than having every single window open.

Using the Mission Control F-key, setup is easy and quick, but you DO have to set up some windows for each chunk. Others basically stay put and adjust to the next chunk.

Shooshie

I used to do that Shooshie. Especially if I was playing everything myself and used one monitor.

So 90% of what I do now pop is music songwriters. In a typical song project I track the basics of the songwriters idea with 1, 2, or 3 players. Sometimes pre-done looper pedal. But really it's like cutting the basics in the old days. The drummers use Roland TD 30 kit and BFD3 with live hi hat and sometimes cymbals.

During tracking the SE is open the whole time. My focus is on the SE Window front and center and back and forth between the UAD mixer input stage and the Raven Faders during playback.

The inputs are coming from the UAD mixer and it is on the second space window accessed cntrl arrow rt. and cntrl to change back to Raven. So my focus is making sure the levels, mic pres, VI's are all good going in during tracking. Soon as the song is tracked I am back to the playback and the Raven mixer with the DP mixer above it on the Raven monitor... just the inserts, sends and S/M/R/ NO DP faders...

At that point the I have anywhere from 8 to 10 tracks. That is still ok for the SE window. Then the O'dubs start to pile up I can no longer see everything in SE window and I transition to organizing and arranging in the Tracks window and use the SE window for watching just the track I'm recording or editing. It's on top of the Tracks window when I am using it. Once I end up a 30 to 90 tracks all nested in folders the tracking is done. Then comes the hard stuff...

At that point I have 8 to 10 vox tracks. Some have 10 takes that need to be comp'd. All that work happens on the one the SE window full screen. I usually start freezing the VI's, comping guitars etc all on SE... By this point the tracks window has 100% of the vertical real estate with data windows on the left and right. From then on I can't keep the the SE window up. That is WHY the open and closing of the SE windows happens.

The SE window comes (shift S) up and covers everything on the top monitor... But on the Raven which is 6 inches in front of me all the faders and board readout makes it easy to follow and mix as I go. No mousing all touch. The only mouse is SE editing and dragging tracks into order on the Tracks window, or making groups and folders. My second space on the top monitor is the Meter Bridge. To be jumping between spaces on the upper monitor would limit the touch workflow on the Raven...

Having the SE window on quick keys works like spaces. I even have all the VI's come up on the left screen. I do MIDI drum editing in the sequence window because I need to see the audio hat track and the MIDI notes. I only go one space deep on both monitors. So alas there is just not enough vertical real estate.

Once in mix mode the big Raven takes up the whole bottom mixer. The DP mixer moves up top and the Tracks window is the helicopter. If I need to do anything (shift "S") up comes the SE window. So that is a long what of saying I like spaces but going deep into multiple spaces d work we.

Tracking Raven
Mixing Raven * Thanks to Michael Canavan for turning me on to custom icons for channel strip.
Mixing Upper Screen
Tracking Upper Screen
Raven and Cinema Display (meter bridge on Space 2)
UAD Console Space 2 Raven Monitor
Last edited by waxman on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Does using Mission Control Spaces conflict with the Raven?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
waxman

Post by waxman »

Nope... I use spaces on the Raven for the UAD Mixer... Ok all the pics are up. Does it make sense? After I read my post I realized I needed to post pics or delete it... that causes the buzzards to circle. :shock:

waxman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

waxman wrote:Nope... I use spaces on the Raven for the UAD Mixer... Ok all the pics are up. Does it make sense? After I read my post I realized I needed to post pics or delete it... that causes the buzzards to circle. :shock:
Wow! Way better!

Thanks for the lesson in Raven! (intentional or not!)
waxman

Post by waxman »

Shooshie wrote: Thanks for the lesson in Raven! (intentional or not!)
Well brotherman you are the Sage in this universe. I was thinking Spaces/Launchpad but if the Raven theory was the take away great. I am obviously a Raven fan... By the way how does fried Raven taste compared to Buzzard?
waxman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

waxman wrote:
Shooshie wrote: Thanks for the lesson in Raven! (intentional or not!)
Well brotherman you are the Sage in this universe. I was thinking Spaces/Launchpad but if the Raven theory was the take away great. I am obviously a Raven fan... By the way how does fried Raven taste compared to Buzzard?
Ravens, Buzzards... naw, the real chicken of the sky is CONDOR!
Hehehe...