Thoughts on DP9 after a couple of hours toying around

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Thoughts on DP9 after a couple of hours toying around

Post by monkey man »

toodamnhip wrote:For the longest of time, I used iTunes for Mp3s. It sounded very good and was VERY FAST. Before DP 9, and maybe even before DP 8, I thought DP mp3 was slow and kind of sucked. With the latest versions and the mp3s DP now makes, I use DP over iTunes and have tested it and can say it sounds better than iTunes.
I reconverted all the albums I used iTunes to create mp3s for starting back in 2011. They all sported slightly-dulled top end and a sort of smearing between instruments that can best be described as a lack of definition and instrument-separation / integrity. IOW, the outlines that defined what they were were smudged. This was very obvious and annoying, but I'd originally opted for the utility of iTunes' conversion speed as I had so many CDs to convert.

I learned the hard way. I only finished sorting out my iTunes library last year, rebuilding it from scratch since 2011, and reconverting everything that had originally been handled by the iTunes algorithm. It seems obvious to me now that Apple chose speed over quality in a nod to the practicalities and lower standards of todays end-user.

Everything had been done in "True Stereo", not the interleaved rubbish which messes with instruments' positions in the stereo field, and at 320k constant bit rate, but still, as I said, the effect was obvious, even on a sub-par system.

I opted to use LAME in Audacity for all my reconversions, and have continued to do so; there's no need to fire our hefty and much-loved DP up for this purpose alone. The difference in the end result is like night and day.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I'm probably the last kid in the pool, but I finally took the DP 9 plunge on Sunday. (Still waiting for MOTU to send my code to Sweetwater and Sweetwater to send it to me.) But soon. I plan on starting my next project in DP 9. (I've actually already come up with a few phrases, but I want to start fresh in DP 9. Hopefully my code will arrive today....)

I'm not worried about bugs so much as just trying to learn new features, different ways, finding things in their new locations, etc. while keeping the creative/production process going. Anything new I should watch out for?

Mostly looking forward to trying lanes, floating plugins, and MIDI mute. Hopefully, NextGen Pregen is coming soon...

I also have to soon do the upgrade from ML to Yosemite -- ugh. I'm really going to miss Labels (and who knows what else; it's always two steps backwards with Apple upgrades), but I don't think I can hold out in legacy OS-land much longer. I think I'll finish at least one project in DP 9 first, so it's not too much change all at once.

:arrow: :unicorn: :band:

Babz
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Babz wrote: Anything new I should watch out for?
The small search window in the Tracks window. A few have inadvertently set it to hide everything.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
Babz wrote: Anything new I should watch out for?
The small search window in the Tracks window. A few have inadvertently set it to hide everything.
Yeah, basically if you hit TAB, you're in the search field, even if it's hidden! The next thing you type will be your search criteria, and any track that doesn't contain it will disappear. You'll think your computer is crashing, or at least DP is committing suicide. Just backspace completely, then click outside of the search field (anywhere on the window). Continue working.

Also, beware of LINES mode in MIDI editing. There's just some funky behavior going on there. You'll have many ways to get around it, so it's not a showstopper, but if you really depend on Lines Mode, you'll feel pretty inconvenienced until you get used to it. This same problem seems to spill into the automation snapshots and editing. MOTU is aware of these problems and is working on the fix. DP9.1 has been in the making for some time now, but many of us feel as though it's "right around the corner." You're a long-time DP user, so you know how long those corners can be.

One more: watch out for fades when bouncing to disk. In my experience, DP9 does not pick up the fades during a bounce. The work-around is to record the track with fades, then bounce the recorded track to mp3 or whatever.

Other than that, my DP9 is fine.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|