Thoughts on DP9 after a couple of hours toying around

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kassonica
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Thoughts on DP9 after a couple of hours toying around

Post by kassonica »

Ok, I recently upgraded from 7.24 to 9, so Its quite a jump.

I'm running this on my brand new MB pro too test it out, Running latest macOS, no 3rd party apps or plugins.

I've only had limited time and I'll probably update this as I get it into it further.

Love the new look and love where they have put things, to see sample rate, buffers etc in control panel is excellent

New automation lanes are excellent and I can't wait to start using them.

I've quickly opened some of the new plugins and toyed around with them just using the lappy speakers, and they all seem high quality, don't think I'll stop using stillwells 1176 plugin though

I tried to drag in some audio files into the Seq editor, but for some reason it would not let me, and I had to import them through the import menu in the SB window, this seems very strange and I'm not sure if it's a bug or not.

It does seem buggy to me though and although I haven't had a crash (only 3 hours tops) quitting it gave me the rainbow wheel for a couple of mins

I'll keep using 7.24 at the studio for now as we have some well paid sessions coming up and we need a stable system, But I'm hoping the update will out ASAP

Cheers
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
mikehalloran

Re: Thoughts on DP9 after a couple of hours toying around

Post by mikehalloran »

Being a longtime DP user (does 20 years qualify as ancient?), I'm glad that 7.24 still works. Every now and then, I get calls to revisit old projects. I find it easier to open them in 7 first and do any tweaking re old plugs etc. before opening them in 9. This lets me keep DP 9 in 64bit without having to switch back and forth.

Old plugs including some from BigFish Audio, MDA, Izotope RX 2 and others don't work well when opened in DP 9. In addition, the Trim plug has changed so I like having both versions active.

I still have DP 8.07 on my Mac but don't use it anymore. I'll remove it when I need to reclaim the drive space.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Some of us are just "feature whores." I admit it. I need EVERYTHING the latest version offers, even at my own peril. It's like getting a new car every year, but better!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Some of us are just "feature whores." I admit it. I need EVERYTHING the latest version offers, even at my own peril. It's like getting a new car every year, but better!
I understand this, But I learnt a long time ago, stability over latest and greatest.... hence why I've been on 7.24 for 5 years, 2 crashes in that time and one was me doing something weird.

I'll say it again though, I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE UPDATE OF 9...
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I've been on 9 since the first version release. Never found it to be buggy. It's crashed a few
times but I think that was due to certain plugins. 99% of the time it (version 9.02) is rock solid
on my system. Can't wait for the next version with the reduced latency and more efficient VI handling.

I've only gone "back" from a newly released version once..I went back to 5.x from DP6, which for
me was unusable. I always install the newest version as soon as it comes out, on my laptop which is my "test computer". If it's good on my old 2009 MacBook, then it is happening on my 2010 QuadCore Mac.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Yep, 6 was a dog of a version.

:(
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Mmmmmm

playing one stereo file 48/32 at a 512 buffer with one plugin overloaded the processor :shock:

this on a 2015 macbook pro = WTF
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

It took MOTU close to two+ years to update from 8.07 to 9.0. 9.0 has minimal enhancements, minimal beta testing (obviously) and in about 25 days 9.0 will celebrate it's 1 year anniversary and STILL it's a disappointing buggy mess.

But hey it won DAW of the year...so they got that going for them! :lol:
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

csiaudio wrote:It took MOTU close to two+ years to update from 8.07 to 9.0. 9.0 has minimal enhancements, minimal beta testing (obviously) and in about 25 days 9.0 will celebrate it's 1 year anniversary and STILL it's a disappointing buggy mess.

glad I came into this late :shock:

But it means the update should be a cracker :D
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

csiaudio wrote:minimal beta testing (obviously)
You (obviously) have an inside line to MOTU and know about these things I take it?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

csiaudio wrote:It took MOTU close to two+ years to update from 8.07 to 9.0. 9.0 has minimal enhancements, minimal beta testing (obviously) and in about 25 days 9.0 will celebrate it's 1 year anniversary and STILL it's a disappointing buggy mess.

Received DAW of the Year and deservedly so. Hardly a "disappointing mess" IMHO.

Minimal enhancements??? I guess you did not get the "ReadMe" file.

Here it is:
Digital Performer 9.0.2 Read Me
Thank you for installing Digital Performer 9.0.2.
Complete DP9 documentation
You can find complete DP9 documentation (PDF files) on the DP9 installer disc, and
you can also access them directly from Digital Performer's Help menu. Table of
Contents entries, index entries, and cross references are live links that will jump to their
destinations. In some cases, you may need to click directly on the page number (rather
than the heading).
Changes and new features
For a comprehensive list of new features, please refer to New Features in DP, available
in Digital Performer's Help menu.
New features introduced in version 9.0.2
Version 9.0.2 introduces the following new features:
Support for 3rd-party video hardware — On OS X 10.7 or later, you can now use
devices from Blackmagic Design and AJA Video Systems to stream video output from
Digital Performer. Choose the device in the same fashion as described for MOTU video
hardware in the DP User Guide. This feature is Mac-only.
Support for Softube's Console 1 — Softube's Console 1 is an integrated hardware/
software mixing solution that brings the feel of a real console to Digital Performer.
Console 1 includes SSL SL 4000 E, a modeled analog console channel plug-in with 4-
band EQ, compression, emulated analog console saturation, and a unique Dynamic
Shaper. For more information, see http://www.softube.com/console1.php.
More vertical zooming in the Tracks Overview — Version 9.0.2 adds more vertical
zoom steps to the Tracks Overview so that tracks can be even taller.
View menu — The new View menu consolidates many features in Digital Performer
related to managing view-related commands and preferences. The "View Filter"
command has been moved to the View menu and renamed "Filters". A large number of
commands for manipulating the visibility of tracks in windows have been added, and
they are also available in the standalone Track Selector's mini- menu.
Track selector enhancements — The Tracks Overview can now display the Track
Selector like other windows. The Track Selector can be popped out of the Consolidated
Window as a stand-alone, global window that affects all windows. The Tracks Selector
list now indicates which tracks are currently record-enabled (bold) and disabled (italic),
at a glance. New commands in the new View menu allow you to take a snapshot of
which tracks are currently visible in the Track Selector and save the snapshot as a track
layout. Saved track layouts appear in the View menu and Commands window list,
where they can be assigned hot keys for instant recall. Track layouts are bound to their
sequence chunk and saved with the project.
Select All — The Select All command now only applies to the tracks visible (including
closed folders) in a given window rather than all tracks in the sequence.
Muting selected audio — Using the Mute Selection command to mute or unmute a
time range selection now scissors audio at the end points of the selection, e.g. you can
select a subregion of a soundbite and toggle mute to mute just the selected area.
Display preference for grid lines — There is a new display preference for showing
and hiding grid lines, instead of their visibility being bound to snapping being enabled or
disabled. This defaults to being turned on. If you prefer to only see the edit grid while
snapping, uncheck View > Grid > Edit Lines and make sure Edit Lines While Snapping
is enabled.
Countoff while slaved to external sync — DP's Countoff feature now works while DP
is slaved to external sync and AutoRecord is enabled. The click counts off to DP's
punch-in time.
Send knobs readouts — Added readouts for send knobs on mouse-over that you can
optionally type into. Option-clicking will immediately start editing the readout.
New commands — New commands have been added for changing which track or
chunk is showing in the focused editor and duplicating takes on two or more selected
tracks.
Enhancements introduced in version 9.0.2
Version 9.0.2 provides many improvements, optimizations, and refinements. Here are
just a few highlights:
• [Mac] Fixed a crash with the Welcome window triggered by certain third-party plug-ins.
• [Mac] Fixed the Spotlight help menu in Japanese.
• Fixed a crash importing groups of sound files with mismatched sample rates.
• Fixed an issue where dragging a patch change to a clipping from the ME would hang.
• Fixed a crash when instantiating a surround panner via the right-click context menu.
• Fixed an issue where the last tempo event in the conductor track overview in the
Tracks Overview might not appear graphically.
• Fixed a crash merging a pop-edited soundbite.
• Record next/previous track commands now follow the track order based on what's
visible in the Tracks Overview.
• The Show/Hide Track Selector command now works in the Tracks Overview.
• Fixed a crash deleting a console item.
• Fixed the scroll bar in the Sequence Editor's track selector.
• Fixed a crash with surround send panners when switching the send destination.
• Kontakt 5.5.1 VST no longer fails examination.
• Fixed an issue where very large timestamps might not export correctly in WAVE files.
• Improved performance of the Movie window.
• Improved graphical performance when recording lots of audio.
• Added an embedded Track Selector to the Tracks Overview.
• Fixed deleting effects from custom categories.
• Fixed zooming in the conductor track ruler in the Sequence Editor.
• Fixed mute tool undo.
• Fixed an issue where certain clicks might not play back at sample rates other than
44.1kHz.
• Fixed issues resizing effect windows.
• [Win] Fixed Japanese localization in the L.A.M.E export plugin.
• [Mac] Use the proper system font for menus on 10.10+.
• Floating windows except toolbars no longer hide when switching to another
application.
• Enabled "Edge Edit Copy" by default.
• Newly created soundbites will be labeled as "bite#.4" instead of "bite.4" to remove
ambiguity so that bites intentionally ending with numbers (e.g., timecode) don't get
treated as bite numbers.
• Improved project sizes and load and save times in large templates with lots of tracks.
• [Win] Fixed the Welcome Window on Windows 10.
• Fixed a graphical issue where plug-in UIs or consolidated window cells might not be
placed correctly after dragging the containing window.
• Fixed a crash when restoring a window set with the QuickScribe window.
• Fixed an issue dragging multiple items to a category in the effect chooser.
• Fixed a crash when copying a console item.
• Fixed a crash when attaching to a Mixing Board item while in MIDI Learn mode.
• Fixed a crash when undoing during analysis.
• [Win] Fixed an issue where MP3 exports wouldn't have the .mp3 extension.
• Fixed an issue where opening an empty plug-in window with Shift-F wouldn't float
according to the preference.
• [Win] Fixed international keyboard support for certain characters, such as '<' and '>' on
Italian keyboard layouts or chords involving the Alt Gr key.
• Fixed an issue where tap tempo didn't work reliably when tapping faster than the
current tempo.
• Fixed an issue where nudging by milliseconds the same amount in either direction
might be off by a few samples from the initial position.
• Fixed an issue where imported movie audio didn't have the correct timestamp.
• Fixed the pitch bypass button.
• Improved performance of commands encompassing lots of tracks.
• Fix occasional crashes caused by unloading plug-ins dynamic libraries when shutting
down MAS.
• Fixed a crash when inserting a CC into the MIDI Editor.
• Fixed a bug where rectified waveforms weren't drawing correctly.
• Improved display of muted soundbites and MIDI notes.
• Added the Waveform Editor to the Open In editors in contextual menus where
appropriate.
• Changed the default selection color to the theme selection color instead of the system
selection color.
• Fixed an issue where the Erase command might not correctly be bound to the Delete
key.
• Made the insertion point more visible in dark themes.
• Fixed a bug where VSTs or Carbon-based AUs weren't displayed properly when
running in 32-bit.
• Fixed crashes hiding and showing lanes.
• Improved the performance of undos involving large numbers of tracks.
• [Win] Fixed pencilling CCs in the SE.
• [Win] Fixed a hang when resizing the movie track in the SE.
• Improved performance of the EuCon control surface driver with large numbers of
tracks.
Enhancements introduced in version 9.0.1
Version 9.0.1 provides many improvements, optimizations, and refinements. Here are
just a few highlights:
• Fixed a crash inserting continuous data in the Sequence Editor.
• Fixed selection in lanes in the Sequence Editor.
• [Mac] Fix drawing issues where plug-ins might appear behind the Consolidated
Window cells.
• Allow MIDI Learn to target mixing board controls.
• Fixed an issue where the inserted pencil type might not match the menu in the MIDI
Editor.
• Improved performance when opening the Sequence Editor.
• Fixed an issue where MIDI output menus would be disabled after using Track
Assignments.
• Fixed saving of VST presets.
• Fixed a bug with patch changes in MX4.
• Fixed a graphical issue where undoing or redoing a comp take segment would not redisplay
at first.
• Fixed an issue where only the first Device Group was assignable.
• Fixed a crash in the Drum Editor.
• Fixed the Change Velocity window in the Nine theme.
• Fixed an issue where Aux tracks could be set to Note or Pitch edit layers erroneously.
• Fixed an issue where plug-in tails might get clipped when bouncing with iZotope
Ozone, UVI Relayer and others.
• Fixed an issue where iZotope Ozone 6 will appear bypassed when not playing back.
• [Mac] Allow MMC via the IAC bus.
• Fixed an issue where the mixing board might be out of sync with its Track Selector.
• Fixed a crash when toggling the movie floats on top preference.
• Draw the sound bite's selection highlight in the Sequence Editor under the waveform.
• Fixed a crash with Snip in the Waveform Editor.
• Changed "Fix partial measures" back to on by default.
• When opening a document with partial measures and the preference on, we now ask
the user whether to correct the partial measures or leave them as is.
• Fixed Paste Repeat.
• [Win] Fix an issue inputting international text involving the Alt Gr key (e.g. @ in
German).
• Show Marker grid lines in the Tracks Overview like other editors.
• Fixed an issue with disconnected controls in the Mixing Board and Channel Strip.
• Increased the idle rate of VSTs, which should improve the redraw speed of plug-ins
that depend on it such as Serum.
• Fix an occasional crash in the VST version of BFD3.
• Fixed a Mixing Board crash when selecting multiple V-Rack tracks in the Track
Selector.
• Fixed an issue where simply clicking items in lists such as the Tracks Overview might
move the row.
• [Mac] Fixed graphical issues printing parts in QuickScribe.
• Fixed an issue where the search field wouldn't appear in the undocked Markers
window.
• Restored the Console item context menu.
• Fix crashes in QuickScribe in some documents with lyrics.
• Updated the Japanese documentation, including the User Guide.
• [Win] Fixed right-clicking in MAS plug-ins.
• Fix an issue when trying to MIDI learn the mute or solo buttons in the Mixing Board.
• Fixed scrolling in text boxes in the Track Inspector and Lyrics windows.
• Fixed an issue where the Movie window might not float properly when undocked from
the Consolidated Window, despite the user's preference.
• More performance improvements for the Sequence Editor with lots of tracks.
• Updated to the EuCon 3 SDK.
• Fixed improper button labels in the offline activation window.
• Fixed a bug where freezing a track wouldn't properly update the sends on the frozen
track.
• Widened the plug-in name column in the Effect Chooser.
• [Mac] Correctly install the DP9 document icons.
• Make the Tracks Overview divider the same width as the Consolidated Window
dividers.
• Fixed an issue where not all VST instruments were properly loaded as instruments.
• Fixed zooming across lanes.
• Fixed some commands that toggle windows open and closed, e.g. the Track Selector
command.
• Added scrolling to change values in MX4.
• Fixed scrolling in the Project Notes window.
• [Mac] Fixed an issue moving the movie window between a Retina and non-Retina
display.
• Fix highlighting of piano roll ruler in Pitch lanes in the Sequence Editor.
• Tweaked contrast and colors in Nine.
• Fixed the button artwork in Savannah and Alloy.
• Disable the buffer size menu during playback.
• Added the Japanese plug-in guide.
• MX4 Japanese localization.
Attention Mac BPM, Ethno, and Electric Keys owners
If you use BPM, Ethno, and/or Electric Keys with Digital Performer on the Mac, and you
wish to run DP9 in 64-bit mode, use the AU or VST versions of these instrument plugins
(as there is no 64-bit MAS version). If you plan to transfer DP9 projects between a
Mac and PC, use the VST version, which will allow the plug-in settings to transfer back
and forth seamlessly. When migrating projects created in earlier versions of DP to
Version 9, you can transfer settings from the old MAS version to the new AU (or VST)
version of the instrument as follows:
1. Open the project in the older version of DP.
2. Save the instrument plug-in settings from within the plug-in (as a BPM Performance,
an Ethno Multi, or an Electric Keys Combi).
3. Open the project in DP9.
4. Load the settings (performance, multi or combi) into the AU version of BPM, Ethno or
Electric Keys.
Note: MachFive 3 settings will successfully transfer from old DP projects into DP9, so
you don't need to do this procedure for MachFive 3.
We hope you enjoy using Digital Performer 9. We welcome your comments and
suggestions.
Sincerely,
The Digital Performer Development Team
http://www.motu.com/techsupport
http://www.motu.com/suggestions
©2016 MOTU, Inc.
Also, a nice review by Guy over at ThinkSpace Education of the new features introduced in 9.0:

And, of course, the 2016 NAMM Show presentation on 9.02:

Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Way to sling those facts, bro!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
You (obviously) have an inside line to MOTU and know about these things I take it?
It is hard to believe there ever could have been decent beta testing with some of the bugs in 9 version1. I’d have to look back, but I remember some absolutely ridiculous stuff like not being able to highlight anything in the new data lanes etc. Again, id have to look back, but I recall wondering how some of the bugs could have ever been released or escaped beta testers?
And then you have various members here and their stories of how hard it is to be allowed to beta for motu. I myself have been at the forefront of automation snap shot bugs for years and have only had access to non MOTU developers after offering my services to motu as a professional testing for 3rd party manufacturers...and the automation problem remains after years. You may be correct in stating something like “how do you know MOTU has limited beta testing”?. Of course we do not have 100% proof of anything.
But I can’t blame members for thinking motu has limited beta testing, as the circumstantial “evidence” seems to point to a fairly closed off company when it come to testing, and some obvious bugs that no one seemed to have caught in development.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

James Steele wrote:

Well if they did beta it and then released it with all the bugs it had and still currently has does that some how make it better? I am hardly the only one who's noticed how buggy all the releases of 9.x, nor am I the only one commenting on the (obvious) lack of beta testing that must not have gone on. I'm pretty sure DP users who paid for the update where the beta's.

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

terrybritton wrote:

Received DAW of the Year and deservedly so. Hardly a "disappointing mess" IMHO.

Minimal enhancements??? I guess you did not get the "ReadMe" file.

Here it is:
Digital Performer 9.0.2 Read Me
Thank you for installing Digital Performer 9.0.2.
Complete DP9 documentation
You can find complete DP9 documentation (PDF files) on the DP9 installer disc, and
you can also access them directly from Digital Performer's Help menu. Table of
Contents entries, index entries, and cross references are live links that will jump to their
destinations. In some cases, you may need to click directly on the page number (rather
than the heading).
Changes and new features
For a comprehensive list of new features, please refer to New Features in DP, available
in Digital Performer's Help menu.
New features introduced in version 9.0.2
Version 9.0.2 introduces the following new features:
Support for 3rd-party video hardware — On OS X 10.7 or later, you can now use
devices from Blackmagic Design and AJA Video Systems to stream video output from
Digital Performer. Choose the device in the same fashion as described for MOTU video
hardware in the DP User Guide. This feature is Mac-only.
Support for Softube's Console 1 — Softube's Console 1 is an integrated hardware/
software mixing solution that brings the feel of a real console to Digital Performer.
Console 1 includes SSL SL 4000 E, a modeled analog console channel plug-in with 4-
band EQ, compression, emulated analog console saturation, and a unique Dynamic
Shaper. For more information, see http://www.softube.com/console1.php.
More vertical zooming in the Tracks Overview — Version 9.0.2 adds more vertical
zoom steps to the Tracks Overview so that tracks can be even taller.
View menu — The new View menu consolidates many features in Digital Performer
related to managing view-related commands and preferences. The "View Filter"
command has been moved to the View menu and renamed "Filters". A large number of
commands for manipulating the visibility of tracks in windows have been added, and
they are also available in the standalone Track Selector's mini- menu.
Track selector enhancements — The Tracks Overview can now display the Track
Selector like other windows. The Track Selector can be popped out of the Consolidated
Window as a stand-alone, global window that affects all windows. The Tracks Selector
list now indicates which tracks are currently record-enabled (bold) and disabled (italic),
at a glance. New commands in the new View menu allow you to take a snapshot of
which tracks are currently visible in the Track Selector and save the snapshot as a track
layout. Saved track layouts appear in the View menu and Commands window list,
where they can be assigned hot keys for instant recall. Track layouts are bound to their
sequence chunk and saved with the project.
Select All — The Select All command now only applies to the tracks visible (including
closed folders) in a given window rather than all tracks in the sequence.
Muting selected audio — Using the Mute Selection command to mute or unmute a
time range selection now scissors audio at the end points of the selection, e.g. you can
select a subregion of a soundbite and toggle mute to mute just the selected area.
Display preference for grid lines — There is a new display preference for showing
and hiding grid lines, instead of their visibility being bound to snapping being enabled or
disabled. This defaults to being turned on. If you prefer to only see the edit grid while
snapping, uncheck View > Grid > Edit Lines and make sure Edit Lines While Snapping
is enabled.
Countoff while slaved to external sync — DP's Countoff feature now works while DP
is slaved to external sync and AutoRecord is enabled. The click counts off to DP's
punch-in time.
Send knobs readouts — Added readouts for send knobs on mouse-over that you can
optionally type into. Option-clicking will immediately start editing the readout.
New commands — New commands have been added for changing which track or
chunk is showing in the focused editor and duplicating takes on two or more selected
tracks.
Enhancements introduced in version 9.0.2
Version 9.0.2 provides many improvements, optimizations, and refinements. Here are
just a few highlights:
• [Mac] Fixed a crash with the Welcome window triggered by certain third-party plug-ins.
• [Mac] Fixed the Spotlight help menu in Japanese.
• Fixed a crash importing groups of sound files with mismatched sample rates.
• Fixed an issue where dragging a patch change to a clipping from the ME would hang.
• Fixed a crash when instantiating a surround panner via the right-click context menu.
• Fixed an issue where the last tempo event in the conductor track overview in the
Tracks Overview might not appear graphically.
• Fixed a crash merging a pop-edited soundbite.
• Record next/previous track commands now follow the track order based on what's
visible in the Tracks Overview.
• The Show/Hide Track Selector command now works in the Tracks Overview.
• Fixed a crash deleting a console item.
• Fixed the scroll bar in the Sequence Editor's track selector.
• Fixed a crash with surround send panners when switching the send destination.
• Kontakt 5.5.1 VST no longer fails examination.
• Fixed an issue where very large timestamps might not export correctly in WAVE files.
• Improved performance of the Movie window.
• Improved graphical performance when recording lots of audio.
• Added an embedded Track Selector to the Tracks Overview.
• Fixed deleting effects from custom categories.
• Fixed zooming in the conductor track ruler in the Sequence Editor.
• Fixed mute tool undo.
• Fixed an issue where certain clicks might not play back at sample rates other than
44.1kHz.
• Fixed issues resizing effect windows.
• [Win] Fixed Japanese localization in the L.A.M.E export plugin.
• [Mac] Use the proper system font for menus on 10.10+.
• Floating windows except toolbars no longer hide when switching to another
application.
• Enabled "Edge Edit Copy" by default.
• Newly created soundbites will be labeled as "bite#.4" instead of "bite.4" to remove
ambiguity so that bites intentionally ending with numbers (e.g., timecode) don't get
treated as bite numbers.
• Improved project sizes and load and save times in large templates with lots of tracks.
• [Win] Fixed the Welcome Window on Windows 10.
• Fixed a graphical issue where plug-in UIs or consolidated window cells might not be
placed correctly after dragging the containing window.
• Fixed a crash when restoring a window set with the QuickScribe window.
• Fixed an issue dragging multiple items to a category in the effect chooser.
• Fixed a crash when copying a console item.
• Fixed a crash when attaching to a Mixing Board item while in MIDI Learn mode.
• Fixed a crash when undoing during analysis.
• [Win] Fixed an issue where MP3 exports wouldn't have the .mp3 extension.
• Fixed an issue where opening an empty plug-in window with Shift-F wouldn't float
according to the preference.
• [Win] Fixed international keyboard support for certain characters, such as '<' and '>' on
Italian keyboard layouts or chords involving the Alt Gr key.
• Fixed an issue where tap tempo didn't work reliably when tapping faster than the
current tempo.
• Fixed an issue where nudging by milliseconds the same amount in either direction
might be off by a few samples from the initial position.
• Fixed an issue where imported movie audio didn't have the correct timestamp.
• Fixed the pitch bypass button.
• Improved performance of commands encompassing lots of tracks.
• Fix occasional crashes caused by unloading plug-ins dynamic libraries when shutting
down MAS.
• Fixed a crash when inserting a CC into the MIDI Editor.
• Fixed a bug where rectified waveforms weren't drawing correctly.
• Improved display of muted soundbites and MIDI notes.
• Added the Waveform Editor to the Open In editors in contextual menus where
appropriate.
• Changed the default selection color to the theme selection color instead of the system
selection color.
• Fixed an issue where the Erase command might not correctly be bound to the Delete
key.
• Made the insertion point more visible in dark themes.
• Fixed a bug where VSTs or Carbon-based AUs weren't displayed properly when
running in 32-bit.
• Fixed crashes hiding and showing lanes.
• Improved the performance of undos involving large numbers of tracks.
• [Win] Fixed pencilling CCs in the SE.
• [Win] Fixed a hang when resizing the movie track in the SE.
• Improved performance of the EuCon control surface driver with large numbers of
tracks.
Enhancements introduced in version 9.0.1
Version 9.0.1 provides many improvements, optimizations, and refinements. Here are
just a few highlights:
• Fixed a crash inserting continuous data in the Sequence Editor.
• Fixed selection in lanes in the Sequence Editor.
• [Mac] Fix drawing issues where plug-ins might appear behind the Consolidated
Window cells.
• Allow MIDI Learn to target mixing board controls.
• Fixed an issue where the inserted pencil type might not match the menu in the MIDI
Editor.
• Improved performance when opening the Sequence Editor.
• Fixed an issue where MIDI output menus would be disabled after using Track
Assignments.
• Fixed saving of VST presets.
• Fixed a bug with patch changes in MX4.
• Fixed a graphical issue where undoing or redoing a comp take segment would not redisplay
at first.
• Fixed an issue where only the first Device Group was assignable.
• Fixed a crash in the Drum Editor.
• Fixed the Change Velocity window in the Nine theme.
• Fixed an issue where Aux tracks could be set to Note or Pitch edit layers erroneously.
• Fixed an issue where plug-in tails might get clipped when bouncing with iZotope
Ozone, UVI Relayer and others.
• Fixed an issue where iZotope Ozone 6 will appear bypassed when not playing back.
• [Mac] Allow MMC via the IAC bus.
• Fixed an issue where the mixing board might be out of sync with its Track Selector.
• Fixed a crash when toggling the movie floats on top preference.
• Draw the sound bite's selection highlight in the Sequence Editor under the waveform.
• Fixed a crash with Snip in the Waveform Editor.
• Changed "Fix partial measures" back to on by default.
• When opening a document with partial measures and the preference on, we now ask
the user whether to correct the partial measures or leave them as is.
• Fixed Paste Repeat.
• [Win] Fix an issue inputting international text involving the Alt Gr key (e.g. @ in
German).
• Show Marker grid lines in the Tracks Overview like other editors.
• Fixed an issue with disconnected controls in the Mixing Board and Channel Strip.
• Increased the idle rate of VSTs, which should improve the redraw speed of plug-ins
that depend on it such as Serum.
• Fix an occasional crash in the VST version of BFD3.
• Fixed a Mixing Board crash when selecting multiple V-Rack tracks in the Track
Selector.
• Fixed an issue where simply clicking items in lists such as the Tracks Overview might
move the row.
• [Mac] Fixed graphical issues printing parts in QuickScribe.
• Fixed an issue where the search field wouldn't appear in the undocked Markers
window.
• Restored the Console item context menu.
• Fix crashes in QuickScribe in some documents with lyrics.
• Updated the Japanese documentation, including the User Guide.
• [Win] Fixed right-clicking in MAS plug-ins.
• Fix an issue when trying to MIDI learn the mute or solo buttons in the Mixing Board.
• Fixed scrolling in text boxes in the Track Inspector and Lyrics windows.
• Fixed an issue where the Movie window might not float properly when undocked from
the Consolidated Window, despite the user's preference.
• More performance improvements for the Sequence Editor with lots of tracks.
• Updated to the EuCon 3 SDK.
• Fixed improper button labels in the offline activation window.
• Fixed a bug where freezing a track wouldn't properly update the sends on the frozen
track.
• Widened the plug-in name column in the Effect Chooser.
• [Mac] Correctly install the DP9 document icons.
• Make the Tracks Overview divider the same width as the Consolidated Window
dividers.
• Fixed an issue where not all VST instruments were properly loaded as instruments.
• Fixed zooming across lanes.
• Fixed some commands that toggle windows open and closed, e.g. the Track Selector
command.
• Added scrolling to change values in MX4.
• Fixed scrolling in the Project Notes window.
• [Mac] Fixed an issue moving the movie window between a Retina and non-Retina
display.
• Fix highlighting of piano roll ruler in Pitch lanes in the Sequence Editor.
• Tweaked contrast and colors in Nine.
• Fixed the button artwork in Savannah and Alloy.
• Disable the buffer size menu during playback.
• Added the Japanese plug-in guide.
• MX4 Japanese localization.
Attention Mac BPM, Ethno, and Electric Keys owners
If you use BPM, Ethno, and/or Electric Keys with Digital Performer on the Mac, and you
wish to run DP9 in 64-bit mode, use the AU or VST versions of these instrument plugins
(as there is no 64-bit MAS version). If you plan to transfer DP9 projects between a
Mac and PC, use the VST version, which will allow the plug-in settings to transfer back
and forth seamlessly. When migrating projects created in earlier versions of DP to
Version 9, you can transfer settings from the old MAS version to the new AU (or VST)
version of the instrument as follows:
1. Open the project in the older version of DP.
2. Save the instrument plug-in settings from within the plug-in (as a BPM Performance,
an Ethno Multi, or an Electric Keys Combi).
3. Open the project in DP9.
4. Load the settings (performance, multi or combi) into the AU version of BPM, Ethno or
Electric Keys.
Note: MachFive 3 settings will successfully transfer from old DP projects into DP9, so
you don't need to do this procedure for MachFive 3.
We hope you enjoy using Digital Performer 9. We welcome your comments and
suggestions.
Sincerely,
The Digital Performer Development Team
http://www.motu.com/techsupport
http://www.motu.com/suggestions
©2016 MOTU, Inc.
Also, a nice review by Guy over at ThinkSpace Education of the new features introduced in 9.0:

And, of course, the 2016 NAMM Show presentation on 9.02:

...and it still doesn't work right. Weird.