Changing the name of interface inputs

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
KCman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Changing the name of interface inputs

Post by KCman »

Is there a way to change the name of the interface input in DP9? (When I'm using the MOTU 24ai with different mic preamps, It bugs me that I have to know a certain mic pre is 'input 19' for example)

I have multiple MOTU AVB interfaces, Digigrid and Focusrite. (I use different interfaces depending on the location and gig)

If just the MOTU ones could change, that would be fine.
waxman

Re: Changing the name of interface inputs

Post by waxman »

I think you want to do that in bundles right?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Or in the interface software
KCman

Post by KCman »

waxman wrote:I think you want to do that in bundles right?
Thanks for the tip. (I never used the bundles window before or read the manual since DP4) I messed with it a bit today and it is close to what I want.

The problem I see, with bundles, is when you have ch 1 and 2 named and set up as mono inputs, it won't let you set up a named stereo bundle with ch1 and 2. You can of course still add ch 1 and 2 as a stereo bundle from the tracks window, but they will have the default names when selecting them from the list. (I can work around this problem)

I would ultimately like the interface software to change the names of the inputs.
So, when I create a bundle it is already named appropriately in the list.
HCMarkus wrote:Or in the interface software
Can Motu AVB interfaces do that? Im not finding it.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

KCman wrote:
waxman wrote:The problem I see, with bundles, is when you have ch 1 and 2 named and set up as mono inputs, it won't let you set up a named stereo bundle with ch1 and 2. You can of course still add ch 1 and 2 as a stereo bundle from the tracks window, but they will have the default names when selecting them from the list. (I can work around this problem)

I would ultimately like the interface software to change the names of the inputs.
So, when I create a bundle it is already named appropriately in the list.
Can Motu AVB interfaces do that? Im not finding it.
You can set up as as many bundles using the same channels as you want. They can all have different names. E.g., assign the left and right mains outs to two mono bundles named Out-L and Out-R. Then create a new bundle, set it as stereo, choose the same pair of channels, and call it Outs. You can even do it again and call it Outs Again, and it will use the same output pair.

You might want to set this up in a template or save as Stationary and the Bundle names you use will come up in a new project. Even if you don't like templates, you can still set one up that defines nothing expect the Bundles. The Bundles won't appear in new Empty projects (Empty is just another template).

Don't know about AVB interfaces, but the older interfaces have a channel naming panel in the MOTU Audio Setup apps.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
KCman

Post by KCman »

Thanks bayswater! That worked.

I don't know what I was trying before. It is so easy it makes me feel stupid!!

I use templates so not a problem.

If there IS a way to change the input names on the MOTU AVB stuff before DP I would still like to know.

But, the bundles window will change my life!!! Thanks again to all!!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It used to be possible to change the actual input/output names in the hardware itself. The MOTU PCI Audio Setup app used to allow you to do that not only to the PCI 424 boxes, but to the Firewire/USB boxes as well, my 896mk3 being a case in point.

There is also a MOTU Audio Setup, which USED TO HAVE the same button, but does not have it anymore. The button calls up a sub-app, which opens in a separate window and allows you to change the I/O names. And here's the odd part: both MOTU PCI Audio Setup and (the old version of) MOTU Audio Setup open the same sub-app, which lists all present interfaces and allows you to change them in one window.

So, why did MOTU remove the button from the current MOTU Audio Setup? And if you change the I/O names using that same sub-app, opened by the PCI Audio Setup, will it work? Was it buggy and they removed that button on purpose? Or did they just forget to put it in?

Then there's the $64 question: does this same app change I/O in the new MOTU audio boxes? More questions than answers, but there is at least a path for you to pursue to learn what's going on. Maybe if you were to call MOTU Tech Support you could get your answer. (Of course, sometimes they don't give the answer we want to hear, even when it would be a viable answer, because they no longer "support" that path.)

Looks like a feature that may still work, but may be temporarily out of order.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I used to use the MOTU Audio Setup feature to name channels with my 828-3 and 2408-2 but stopped because I could not get a consistent link between names that showed up in this window, in CueMix and those detected by DP via the names published by the interface via CoreAudio. I could never figure out how to keep it consistent. Now I rely entirely on Bundles assisted by a small chart that lists what is physically connected to each interface channel.

Logic has a preference panel that shows the channels names published by the interface, and lets you override these with custom names that show up inside Logic. For some reason, a few of the channels cannot be assigned a custom name. So sort of OK, but not a complete solution.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I used to rename inputs and outputs in the bundles window just to have very short names-- which makes more info viewable in the tracks overview. However, I found (at least in the past) that those names were not remembered. I'm pretty sure I would have saved the current file as the new/empty, but perhaps I had too much other stuff going on (for my brain's limited CPU).

I'll revisit this again, because it would make some other things in that TO a little more efficient.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
KCman

Post by KCman »

The AVB interfaces don't have software running in the background. instead they use a web browser to access the onboard DSP. Maybe that has something to do with not being able to change the input names on the interface?

I will send a tech link into MOTU and ask, as soon as I hear back from the link i sent a couple weeks ago about Waves StudioRack having a little glitch when monitoring with effects using a DigiGrid IOS. (Whole other issue)

One thing I am finding with the bundles, I setup my 24ai to name the first two inputs (just testing stuff) and wanted to see what happened when I changes interfaces in the same project. I was home and didn't have my other interfaces handy, so I used built in audio. When I switched and checked out my input bundles, it still had the names I used for the first two channels of the 24ai.?.?.?

I thought maybe when changing the hardware setup it would use the generic names for the different input device.

So, I just have to import different bundles when changing input devices. No problem, makes sense.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

KCman wrote:When I switched and checked out my input bundles, it still had the names I used for the first two channels of the 24ai.?.?.?
Yes, it's difficult to figure out exactly what Bundles link to. Clearly not the hardware device alone, but they don't appear to be 100% consistent within a project either, although that might be a bug.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Bundles is a powerful feature. The bundles setups can be saved using the mini drop menu top right of the bundles window. Shift U gets the window open and closed with (apple w)...
If you import you get the current set up plus the import. If you clear and import you get just the bundle. However you will need to reassign your tracks in the tracks window...

WHY DOES DP NOT UPDATE BUNDLES FROM THE TRACKS WINDOW? (annoying)
stubbsonic wrote:I used to rename inputs and outputs in the bundles window just to have very short names-- which makes more info viewable in the tracks overview. However, I found (at least in the past) that those names were not remembered. I'm pretty sure I would have saved the current file as the new/empty, but perhaps I had too much other stuff going on (for my brain's limited CPU).

I'll revisit this again, because it would make some other things in that TO a little more efficient.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Hey Marcus,

The UAD mixer for Apollo twin and 16 interfaces do not update the names to the bundles.exp

Do you know anyway to change bundles from the tracks window? That would be a helpful feature. The Audio MIDI setup is read by DP bundles. But the internal assign like (Korg port- Channel 1-16) Or (Native Instruments DAW- Channel 1-16) those become long names that take up a lot of horizontal real estate. I can't figure out how to fix it...
waxman
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

this appears to be a dp problem. the apollo does publish the names, they are picked up by audiomidi setup. it's just dp that doesn't see them. i've written to motu and uad about this, but more complaints would probably help...
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)
waxman

Post by waxman »

Rename in the input column of the tracks window would be helpful... yes?
waxman