Changing the name of interface inputs

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Changing the name of interface inputs

Post by monkey man »

stubbsonic wrote:I used to rename inputs and outputs in the bundles window just to have very short names-- which makes more info viewable in the tracks overview
Exactly what I've always done, and using capital letters too for legibility's sake.

Someone pondered whether or not bundles are tied to interfaces. I don't think they are. I mean, your input names, whether specified by you or not, appear along the top row that represents your interface's inputs, for example. They'll appear whether you've tweaked them elsewhere (not able to do so in DP) or not, and only determine possible I/O paths. If the interface/s is/are turned off, those columns are lost, as you'd expect.

I have two confusions where Bundles are concerned, 'though:

1) Unless I use a single template, where everything's laid out perfectly, things get messy and confusing very quickly. I gave up years ago on loading older projects and trying to get their Bundles up-to-date. Instead, I reckon I'll load chunks from said projects and drag their tracks across to my template every time I start to work on a different song.

2) I'm seriously freaking out about what will happen when I upgrade from my trusty PCI setup to AVB. Will I lose everything (all names etc.)? My guess is yes. What will happen with my bundles? Will I simply have a different set of names across the top of the charts for the I/O, with all else being equal and unchanged?

Just thinking out 'loud, really, in the hope this resonates with some and may even coax a measure of reassurance from someone.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote: 2) I'm seriously freaking out about what will happen when I upgrade from my trusty PCI setup to AVB. Will I lose everything (all names etc.)? My guess is yes. What will happen with my bundles? Will I simply have a different set of names across the top of the charts for the I/O, with all else being equal and unchanged?

Just thinking out 'loud, really, in the hope this resonates with some and may even coax a measure of reassurance from someone.
Page 121 of the manual talks about what happens to Bundles when you change hardware drivers. The title says that bundles are tied to an audio driver. Mine did not survive the change from MOTU to Focusrite, although apparently it's different if you change from MOTU to MOTU. There is also a Bundles export and import function that might help.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote:The title says that bundles are tied to an audio driver. Mine did not survive the change from MOTU to Focusrite, although apparently it's different if you change from MOTU to MOTU. There is also a Bundles export and import function that might help.
That's very helpful. Will experiment next time I'm in DP.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
waxman

Post by waxman »

Bundles import / export works well for me...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.