New B-3 VI

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
midilance
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New B-3 VI

Post by midilance »

There's a new B-3 VI in town. It's called the B-5 and is a product of acoustic samples. https://www.acousticsamples.net/B5

So far, I am really liking the sound, the features, and the new update that just came out adding a bunch of new features including a bunch of new guitar and bass amp cabinets.

This VI uses samples for the organ drawbar sounds, quite successfully.

The price is $109. Check it out.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.2.1 // DP 11.3 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Legacy // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
musicman691

Re: New B-3 VI

Post by musicman691 »

midilance wrote:There's a new B-3 VI in town. It's called the B-5 and is a product of acoustic samples. https://www.acousticsamples.net/B5

So far, I am really liking the sound, the features, and the new update that just came out adding a bunch of new features including a bunch of new guitar and bass amp cabinets.

This VI uses samples for the organ drawbar sounds, quite successfully.

The price is $109. Check it out.
Seen this one earlier and there's something that confuses the daylights out of me. In some pics it shows 3 drawbars for the pedals and in some pics 2 drawbars. Most Hammonds have 2 drawbars and a couple have 4 (my old H143 had 4 drawbars for the pedals). Never seen a Hammond with 3 drawbars for pedals. Makes me wonder how accurate this thing is.
dbender

Post by dbender »

I saw this too and was interested.

But, wonder how it compares to Arturia's new B3? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger now on discount price ($249) for upgrading Arturia is offering (unit 5/31) mainly just to get the new B3 and new Farfisa (and Solina too) (I already have most of the others in the collection I'm interested in)
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
midilance

Post by midilance »

I downloaded Arturia's new B3 and was very underwhelmed. I've had the NI B4 and B4II, VB3, NI Vintage Organs, and some others I can't remember. B-5 eats their lunch. I am no longer looking for a really good B3 emulator.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.2.1 // DP 11.3 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Legacy // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

midilance wrote:I downloaded Arturia's new B3 and was very underwhelmed. I've had the NI B4 and B4II, VB3, NI Vintage Organs, and some others I can't remember. B-5 eats their lunch. I am no longer looking for a really good B3 emulator.
The Arturia B3 is only good if you don't have another B3 vi. The sound has no guts to it and the Leslie emulation is all wrong.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I can't find any indication anywhere that B4-II uses samples. If it does, they must be the smallest samples on any planet known to man. I've been monitoring RAM usage throughout the entire computer (knowing that the 64bit bridge may employ some threads outside of the host), and an instance B4 doesn't seem to use one iota, so I'm thinking 100% modeled... all CPU.

Since RAM is at a premium for me, even at 16GB, unfortunately this B5 doesn't look like a great option for live use. Too bad because it looks amazing. Maybe if Apple ever gets around to making a 32GB-RAM MacBook I'll use it down the road.

What is the deal? Modeling was all the rage a few years ago, and it strikes me as a fascinating way of opening new territory in synthesis. Now everyone's going back to sample-based again :(
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Prime Mover wrote:I can't find any indication anywhere that B4-II uses samples.
Yea, as far as I know, it doesn't.

What is the hit when using B5?
What is the deal? Modeling was all the rage a few years ago, and it strikes me as a fascinating way of opening new territory in synthesis. Now everyone's going back to sample-based again :(
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

To add to this I read somewheres over in the NI forums that B4-II used wavetables for the tonewheels. Could this account for a small sample set (if indeed B4-II uses samples)?
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

This library is reviewed in the SEP 2016 issue of SOS, for all to read (no web subscription required for this one):

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/aco ... s-b5-organ
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

mhschmieder wrote:This library is reviewed in the SEP 2016 issue of SOS, for all to read (no web subscription required for this one):

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/aco ... s-b5-organ
I bought it and tried it out but honestly haven't been using it much. Main reason is exactly what
the SOS article mentions - the Leslie emulation. It really isn't good, period. However, using
a third-party Leslie sim (like Melda's Vintage Rotary) works well with AS B5.

The organ instrument itself is well-sampled and very customizable.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Bummed to hear that the accel/deccel speed is fixed. Often it doesn't matter that much, but I sometimes like to match it to the tempo of the song for various swell effects. This is one thing that keeps me from using the otherwise glorious Amplitube leslie sim... well, in that case it was WAY TOO SLOW. Maybe it's less realistic, but I really love spinning up and down the speed frequently for emphasis of specific held notes or phrases, and if it's too slow, I can't do that very well. Too fast is silly, but too slow kills it for me.

See... this is why they need to have adjustable rotor speeds, everyone likes it a little different, and sometimes different material feels better at different settings. SampleAcoustics talks about making the software like modding an organ, but for me, modding the B5 accel speed would be at the top of my priority list, I'm kind of bewildered why they would leave that out.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
LGK_Dude

Post by LGK_Dude »

For my money, this is my favorite rotary speaker emulator: http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/mul ... sp_lotary/

Though given PSP's recent trend towards sales it might be worth it to wait to see if/when they discount it.
DP 9.12, Mac Pro 8-core 2.93 24GB Ram, Mac OS 10.11.6, UA Apollo