preset saving to host

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

preset saving to host

Post by musicman691 »

I've been over the manual reading the section on saving plugin presets to host (DP) and think I understand it. The question I have is does this work for third party au and vst format plugins? I know the manuals says it can but I have tried it on a couple of different non-MOTU plugins and it won't work. The one I really need is for SKNote Disto. Right now the plugin does not support saving to the plugin; only to host. It does work fine for saving to host in PT 11.3.1 with aax format.
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: preset saving to host

Post by Frodo »

I don't have Disto, but I have had questions about saving user settings with plugins in both host and within the plugin.

MAS plugins and virtual instruments will save to plugin. Some AUs will only save to the plugin and not the host. A friend of mine and I both use at least one Aria-based virtual instrument. He can save to host but I can't. Strange.

At some point, DP started to save settings with the project itself. I guess that's considered to be host saves, so I've relied on projects and templates for recalling the most frequently used settings. V-Racks is another option with this.

My confusion is if it's an OS version issue or a matter of developers opting out of support for saving presets under MAS apart from being able to browse and save within the plugin itself.

This is less of an answer than an acknowledgment that different plugins and VIs work differently for reasons that are not always clear.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
musicman691

Re: preset saving to host

Post by musicman691 »

Frodo wrote:I don't have Disto, but I have had questions about saving user settings with plugins in both host and within the plugin.

MAS plugins and virtual instruments will save to plugin. Some AUs will only save to the plugin and not the host. A friend of mine and I both use at least one Aria-based virtual instrument. He can save to host but I can't. Strange.

At some point, DP started to save settings with the project itself. I guess that's considered to be host saves, so I've relied on projects and templates for recalling the most frequently used settings. V-Racks is another option with this.

My confusion is if it's an OS version issue or a matter of developers opting out of support for saving presets under MAS apart from being able to browse and save within the plugin itself.

This is less of an answer than an acknowledgment that different plugins and VIs work differently for reasons that are not always clear.
It is an odd situation for sure. I've been back and forth with the developer of Disto and just yesterday afternoon East Coast US time he clued me into this thread here: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=46679

Following that I am now able to save to host but there's still no save presets to the plugin itself which he's working on. Saving presets to the plugin is pretty much mandatory if one expects to use that same plugin across multiple daws.