Just installed El capitan and.....

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kassonica
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Just installed El capitan and.....

Post by kassonica »

Just spent the last few hours at the at the studio computer installing El Capitan and the new Software for the orion32, Didn't do a clean install (long story) so all the old software is still installed.

Studio owner goes, open DP (7.24) and see if it works, I say NA it won't but I'll try anyway b4 I install DP9.....

It opens and everything works :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm siting here in disbelief...

Note; we are coming from snow Leopard....

I think I'll put off installing 9 till the update..

Shaking head at 2:31am
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Just installed El capitan and.....

Post by James Steele »

kassonica wrote:It opens and everything works :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gotta love it when that happens!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Although not supported, DP 7.24 installs, authorizes and works fine in El Cap. This has been reported by many.

If you get the QuickScribe font message (it's not an error), right-clicking on the font in the Resources folder and installing makes that go away.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

mikehalloran wrote:Although not supported, DP 7.24 installs, authorizes and works fine in El Cap. This has been reported by many.

If you get the QuickScribe font message (it's not an error), right-clicking on the font in the Resources folder and installing makes that go away.
Yep I get that error.

I'm still in disbelief.

I'm dying to install 9 as there are many new features in 9 and 8 (which I missed) that I'm hanging to explore but it's instability worries me.

would installing 9 interfere with the workings of 7 in any way?
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

James Steele wrote:
kassonica wrote:It opens and everything works :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gotta love it when that happens!
I don't think it ever has, but yes it's loveable :D
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

kassonica wrote:would installing 9 interfere with the workings of 7 in any way?
There was quite a long discussion on how installing 8 affected 7. There were four things to look out for IIRC, but it was a long time ago. None of them were show stoppers. You could probably assume those effects would carry over to 9. I don't recall any effects of 9 on 8, but the plugins and themes are a little different, so that would show up.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

kassonica wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Although not supported, DP 7.24 installs, authorizes and works fine in El Cap. This has been reported by many.

Yep I get that error....
Again, not an error and easy to make go away.
would installing 9 interfere with the workings of 7 in any way?
The functionality is there but differences in how it's implemented, especially with the Trim plugin and BTD to mp3. So if you open the same file in both, you will get error messages. The MOTU plugs aren't missing, just in a different location.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

SO I take from what you guys are saying, I could install 9, but could still open 7.24 and it should be unaffected?

Thanks for your responses :D
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

kassonica wrote:SO I take from what you guys are saying, I could install 9, but could still open 7.24 and it should be unaffected?
No, I think there will be some effects. One is MP3 exports will not work the same. I don't remember it that well, but it might have been fixed by reinstalling LAME. There were three other things, but they were not that significant. There is probably a post listing all four but I don't know where, and can think of search terms that would find it. Maybe someone still using DP 8 regularly can remember what the other three were.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

bayswater wrote:
kassonica wrote:SO I take from what you guys are saying, I could install 9, but could still open 7.24 and it should be unaffected?
No, I think there will be some effects. One is MP3 exports will not work the same. I don't remember it that well, but it might have been fixed by reinstalling LAME. There were three other things, but they were not that significant. There is probably a post listing all four but I don't know where, and can think of search terms that would find it. Maybe someone still using DP 8 regularly can remember what the other three were.
thanks for that...

If only 9.1 came out and was stable I'd/we'd be sorted..

Ps El capitan is pretty damn good
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
LAME is different between 7. 8 and 8.02 and later. There's a comprehensive thread on this,

The Trim plugin has many functions and consolidated some functions that were separate in DP 7. Polarity reversal is one of them.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

well I just installed DP9 on my new laptop to use it as a test bed before I install it on the studio computer, Boy howdy it's gone through a hell of a lot of changes since 7 :shock:

Can't wait to get deeper into it and can't wait for the update

:dance:
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I can confirm: 7.24, 8.07 and 9 all install and run like a top in El Capitan -- not that I ever expected it wouldn't. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for a lot of other software, especially some of my VIs and plugs. But yeah, I've opened projects inside El Capitan inside all three versions and had them run just fine, aside from all the plugs and VIs it could no longer use. I believe you can even run DP 9 in 32-bit (had it on by accident) without the hassles you get in other software running in 32-bit on 10.11x, if that's your thing. My only minor complain with DP is the same complaint I have with every other recent iteration of important legacy software: those ugly-ass black startup windows/workspaces. Adobe does it, Digidesign does it, Audiofile Engineering does it and (sigh!) MOTU does it. I'm slowly but surely coming around on El Capitan, after my first install antiquated about half of my software. Right now, I'm busy reinstalling and re-authorizing my software on Lion after I attempted to start over from scratch, but once I'm ready, I'm skipping back ahead to 10.11. DP 9 also works great on Lion, too.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Where are things with El Capitan now for everyone? its been a while since it came out. I really am perfectly happy on Mavericks but the new update for LPX is requiring 10.10 or newer now...so... I have to decide whether to lag behind or finally upgrade, even though I absolutely *HATE* the San Francisco font on my non-retina monitors. Used lucinda grande patcher that seems to be working fine so far though (testing on VMWare Fusion). The font was actually the complete deal breaker for me, but I'd like to know what software is still not working right with El Cap, particularly audio related.. How do people feel about things like wifi, performance and other stuff like that?
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I have 10.10.2 running just fine under 10.10.5. I'll have a close and optimistic look at 10.12 or MacOS 1 or whatever it's going to be called, but it getting a bit late to do 10.11.