Audio Input Play through to Mac Output

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sscotti
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio Input Play through to Mac Output

Post by sscotti »

I have Digital Performer 9.x, a Yamaha DGX-640 keyboard and an iMac. I am still learning, but it seems to be working pretty well. However, I would like to play through the audio output (headphone jack) from the DGX-640 to the Mac audio output.

This isn't working, within Digital Performer or just in the Mac OS when DP isn't running. I am running El Capitan, latest version. Is this a bug, and MIDI setup issue or something else. I would like to get it working because I would also like to record multiple tracks with different instruments (i.e. play along with multiple layers of tracks).

Any help appreciated.
HCMarkus

Re: Audio Input Play through to Mac Output

Post by HCMarkus »

Do you have an audio interface? If so, study its manual and understand how it works. If you don't have an audio interface, how are you getting the synth audio into and out of the computer? If all sound is being generated by one synth, just monitor from the synth outputs.

Related questions:

Do you have a MIDI connection and is it USB or MIDI interface?

Is your synth in multitimbral mode?
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

sscotti

Post by sscotti »

I have the following setup:

Digital Performer 9.1, Mac version.
Yamaha DGX-640 with Yamaha MIDI driver and USB MIDI interface.
27" iMac
The Audio that I have available are the iMac built-in Mic and the Line-In Jack on the iMac.

I am just getting started with this. The DGX-640 works fine for playing MIDI files to the keyboard, and I can sequence MIDI from the DGX-640 back into Digital Performer, so the MIDI part works fine.

What I would like to be able to do is to sequence music that I play on the keyboard and then record multiple audio tracks over that (flute and voice). I don't see how to configure the system to do that. Do I need another piece of hardware or can I simply use the existing setup with maybe a dedicated microphone (USB or stereo line-in). I played around with the bundle setup and audio setup, but I don't quite see yet how to get it to work. It helps to read the manual, which I now have, but still not working. Thanks.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Go to the Setup>Configure Audio System>Configure Hardware Driver and ⌘-click both Built-in input and Built-in output. That should get you there. See p.25 in the Getting Started Manual. Be aware that the Built-in Mac A to D converters probably won't be very satisfactory to you in the long run, so yes, you probably will need an external interface.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

I do not want to sound like a smart ass, but if you use
https://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/do ... LineIn.zip
additionally,
to hear your key's audio it will be without latency...

Klaus
sscotti

Post by sscotti »

cuttime wrote:Go to the Setup>Configure Audio System>Configure Hardware Driver and ⌘-click both Built-in input and Built-in output. That should get you there. See p.25 in the Getting Started Manual. Be aware that the Built-in Mac A to D converters probably won't be very satisfactory to you in the long run, so yes, you probably will need an external interface.
Thanks. That is what I was looking for. Lots to learn.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Klaus wrote:I do not want to sound like a smart ass, but if you use
https://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/do ... LineIn.zip
additionally,
to hear your key's audio it will be without latency...

Klaus
Klaus gave you the download link. Here's the link to the description for Line In and the other freebies. Line In may be quite useful for what you are doing — or not — but you can't knock the price.
https://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

When recording directly to my iMac through the Audio In (rare but I do sometimes), I just set my input buffer to 128 and have a few tracks on playback to make latency a non-issue.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro