Two More Questions.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Paul999
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Two More Questions.

Post by Paul999 »

Hi again. I really appreciate the superb help on my transition from logic to DP. I've went through the groove 3 tutorials and manual to ease the transition.

Question 1. Take recording. I am wanting to cycle record so that when DP loops it automatically creates a new take. From what I've read and seen what I am doing is selecting the overdub button and the cycle record. What I get is it recording on one take and not creating a new one. One the second pass record disengages and it only plays. I assume there is a setting I am missing.

Question 2. Navigation. In logic the key command to go forward one bar was period. Back one bar was comma. With shift period or comma you would go ahead or back 8 bars. This was a super fast and easy way to navigate. In dp the fast command is just not fast enough. I have gotten around this a certain amount using markers to navigate but it is not super elegant. Sometimes I want to hear 2 bars before the chorus. Anyway I've spent some time looking through available key commands and I am not finding a substitute.
Guitar Gaz

Re: Two More Questions.

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Paul999 wrote: Question 1. Take recording. I am wanting to cycle record so that when DP loops it automatically creates a new take. From what I've read and seen what I am doing is selecting the overdub button and the cycle record. What I get is it recording on one take and not creating a new one. One the second pass record disengages and it only plays. I assume there is a setting I am missing.
Take recording works perfectly - you need to select Overdub and have the section you are looping with Memory Cycle selected (and make sure you don't use auto punch in and out). I couldn't live without this function (if only it worked for MIDI data). Don't know what else you are doing to make this not work - it seems like Auto Punch In and Out is somehow engaged.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

In the Commands window look for "go to next measure". Also previous measure, next market, previous marker.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Paul999

Post by Paul999 »

Thanks Gentlemen. I do know that I only have overdub and memory cycle engaged. I have ensured that auto punch is off. It is creating a new take after the first memory cycle but it is not recording any audio to it. As soon as the wiper repeats the record button goes white and disengages.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Turn Auto-Stop off.
Paul999

Post by Paul999 »

Auto stop is definitely off. I opened a new song to see if it behaved the same way. The new song acts as it should. Really bizarre.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Can you post a screen shot of your Control Panel and Tracks (Overview) window?
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Maybe you should open a new project and load the sequences in from the one that misbehaves. Something could have gone wrong with it.
Paul999

Post by Paul999 »

It seems like it was a glitch. I moved the memory start and end times a bunch of times familiarizing my self with the program before I make the switch in the main studio. I tried to cycle record again but this time in the tracks window instead of the sequence window and Viola..... it works now?!?!?
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Paul999 wrote:I tried to cycle record again but this time in the tracks window instead of the sequence window and Viola..... it works now?!?!?
Viola ? The trouble is the French have no word for Voila....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Paul999 wrote: Question 2. Navigation. In logic the key command to go forward one bar was period. Back one bar was comma. With shift period or comma you would go ahead or back 8 bars. This was a super fast and easy way to navigate. In dp the fast command is just not fast enough. I have gotten around this a certain amount using markers to navigate but it is not super elegant. Sometimes I want to hear 2 bars before the chorus. Anyway I've spent some time looking through available key commands and I am not finding a substitute.
I set my numeric keys 4 and + to be 'Go to previous measure' and 'Go to next measure' respectively. I'm not at my studio computer so I'm not sure of the exact command wordings. It's really sped up my editing workflow. A long-time user here turned me on to that idea but I don't recall who or I'd give them credit. As far as jumping exactly 8 bars, etc I personally don't know a way to do that, but the commands above latch (by holding down the key) and will move you quickly around the timeline.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce