Quickly Working with sound bites in the arrange window.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Paul999
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Quickly Working with sound bites in the arrange window.

Post by Paul999 »

I am adding DP9 to my DAW arsenal. I've been a long time logic user but Logic stopped working for my current work flow. I do not work with MIDI very often at all. When multi track drum editing DP seems lightening fast using the create soundbites from beats feature and then quantizing to get drums from less then stellar drummers lined up to the grid. The only piece of functionality that seems to be missing is when spaces are left between sound bites I must manually drag the soundbite over the previous one to get a good cross fade. Is there a faster way to fill the spaces between soundbites?

Thanks in advance.
mikehalloran

Re: Quickly Working with sound bites in the arrange window.

Post by mikehalloran »

The only piece of functionality that seems to be missing is when spaces are left between sound bites I must manually drag the soundbite over the previous one to get a good cross fade. Is there a faster way to fill the spaces between soundbites?
That's not making a whole lot of sense to me.

Are the sound bites not where you want them to be?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If the spaces are all similar, you can select multiple soundbites and edge edit to drag the fronts of all of them earlier in time, then you can apply a crossfade to all that are selected. It can be a little risky since you might like to do them on a more case-by-case basis.

We've mentioned the need for DP to have a better integrated pitch & time solution so that such things could be done without having to create multiple soundbites. But alas, as it is, DP is pretty good at doing most of these tasks.

However, you may find that using another DAW for some time correction might work better for you. Then import to DP for most everything else.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Sorry, I've got nothin', Paul, but welcome to the forum and congratulations on the (IMHO) intelligent switch, man!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Paul999 wrote:The only piece of functionality that seems to be missing is when spaces are left between sound bites I must manually drag the soundbite over the previous one to get a good cross fade. Is there a faster way to fill the spaces between soundbites?
You could fill the gaps automatically with silence, or any audio you choose.

Also, if what you want is to butt soundbites together from right to left perfectly and easily, simply press the control key, click on the soundbite, and without releasing the mouse, move it to the left just a little... THEN, release the mouse. The soundbite will be "thrown" perfectly next to a previous one.
Then, simply press Control-F to invoke the crossfade dialog, and bam! You're done. DP will remember your last-used crossfade settings.
I'm not sure if this also works from left to right with a modifier key... Would be nice if it does.

Another way to do this automatically, with obviously different results, is if you use the SNIP command in a soundbite. Just be careful with what you select and you don´t select... It might give you unexpected results otherwise.
Last edited by FMiguelez on Tue May 17, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Oh, and if you don't mind a little late night pedantry, in DP, we call it the Sequence Editor, or simply, the SE :mrgreen:

Welcome to DP!
:unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
magicd

Post by magicd »

Check out Smooth Audio Edits from the Audio menu.

Dave
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Editing in room sound (via smooth audio edits) is a risky choice for a drum part.

I think the best option is not the easy option. One edit at a time.

An early drum hit requires you to slide the hit later, pull the front edge earlier and crossfade. Sometimes you even might have to use some reverse material in the crossfade (depending on what you are trying to fix).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Paul999

Post by Paul999 »

Thanks Everyone. Smooth Edit was the function I was Looking for :) This is a sweet DAW.