Drum machine do not send start/stop but notes

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Cosmos275
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Drum machine do not send start/stop but notes

Post by Cosmos275 »

Hey all. I have a Korg Volca Beats drum machine. I've been able to synch it to DP, such that when I hit start, the drum machine sequencer starts (and stops). Due to lack of MIDI out port on the thing, I'm planning to sequence the drums in DP, then send the MIDI notes to the drum machine. This, to me, seems the easier way to capture/edit multiple patterns over time.

Is there a way to filter out the star/stop MIDI messages, but let the notes go through for a given track? Once I'm sending notes, I don't want to drum machine sequencer to start with DP.

Thanks!
mikehalloran

Re: Drum machine do not send start/stop but notes

Post by mikehalloran »

How is it hooked up?

I don't see a usb port — is there one? If not, what interface are you using?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Cosmos275

Post by Cosmos275 »

Volca Beats has MIDI in.. that's it. I have a Motu ultralite MIDI box, so the idea is to send it notes, but not have the thing's arpeggiator come on.
Cosmos275

Post by Cosmos275 »

Ok, got it figured.

step 1: disable transmit sync from DP
step 2: change MIDI channel (not in manual, but same as Volca bass on youtube)
step 3. Find correct notes. Mine were all one octave lower than this list I found on the internet:

36 - C2 - Kick
38 - D2 - Snare
43 - G2 - Lo Tom
50 - D3 - Hi Tom
42 - F#2 - Closed Hat
46 - A#2 - Open Hat
39 - D#2 - Clap
75 - D#5 - Claves
67 - G4 - Agogo
49 - C#3 - Crash