SKNote Disto

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

SKNote Disto

Post by musicman691 »

SKNote Disto is the developer's take on an EL Distressor and Fatso Junior. The gui has two Distressors and the Fatso Junior. The plugin has Dave Derr's blessing and he's supposed to be working on some presets for this. My question is on the install. There are separate downloads for aax format for use in PT and for vst/au format. The oddball thing is the developer says for au format on OSX to rename the plugin product.component; unzipped it is a vst plugin by default. The actual question is aren't vst and au format plugins different programs? How can one plugin serve both (not at the same time of course) where one copy is disto.vst and another copy is disto.component?

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/index.php ... h-midside/

I think the reason this plugin has Derr's blessing is he in the guise of Empirical Labs is working on another compressor called Arousor. See here: http://www.empiricallabs.com/arousor.html
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: SKNote

Post by bayswater »

Make a copy, rename it and try it. What do you have to lose? I've heard of something along these lines before but still the logins were issued in two versions.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:Make a copy, rename it and try it. What do you have to lose? I've heard of something along these lines before but still the logins were issued in two versions.
I already did that as I sort of alluded to in my post. It does work but that's the question: almost every other plugin installer (this one doesn't have an installer; it's all manual) will give you an option to install or not vst, au, aax, etc. formats. Is it all as simple as changing the plugin suffix to differentiate between au and vst?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote: Is it all as simple as changing the plugin suffix to differentiate between au and vst?
Clearly not with most plugins. But as I said, I've come across this before.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

musicman691 wrote:
bayswater wrote:Make a copy, rename it and try it. What do you have to lose? I've heard of something along these lines before but still the logins were issued in two versions.
I already did that as I sort of alluded to in my post. It does work but that's the question: almost every other plugin installer (this one doesn't have an installer; it's all manual) will give you an option to install or not vst, au, aax, etc. formats. Is it all as simple as changing the plugin suffix to differentiate between au and vst?
The "file" is a directory, not a file. It contains a directory structure that is compatible with both vst and au.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Robert Randolph wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
The "file" is a directory, not a file. It contains a directory structure that is compatible with both vst and au.
Oh? And you know this how? Not trying to be snarky but really want to/need to know.
mikehalloran

Re: SKNote Disto

Post by mikehalloran »

Not trying to be snarky but really want to/need to know.
What does the developer say?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:
Not trying to be snarky but really want to/need to know.
What does the developer say?
Hasn't said a word in reply to my contact with him.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

To be specific, there's a library in the folder that supports calls required by both the VST and AU spec. You can right click on your 'file' and select "Show package contents". Or from a terminal you can go there and use the nm -D command on the file to see what function calls it supports.

Why do I know this? Because I used develop plug-ins until I became wiser.

(also, I screwed up the language in my first reply. It should have read "It contains a directory structure and a library that is compatible with both the VST and AU spec")
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Robert Randolph wrote:To be specific, there's a library in the folder that supports calls required by both the VST and AU spec. You can right click on your 'file' and select "Show package contents". Or from a terminal you can go there and use the nm -D command on the file to see what function calls it supports.

Why do I know this? Because I used develop plug-ins until I became wiser.

(also, I screwed up the language in my first reply. It should have read "It contains a directory structure and a library that is compatible with both the VST and AU spec")
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Like I said it seemed odd to do what the developer said to do - never seen that one before.

BTW it's a pretty good plugin and at only $39US there shouldn't be too many complaints. Couple that with the fact it's the only Distressor in software on the market should make it even better. And the developer continues to work on little things for it.