How to save short, multiple MIDI ideas.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Padank
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to save short, multiple MIDI ideas.

Post by Padank »

Hello, Could you give me a couple of options as to how I might save all setting within a virtual instrument (plugins too) on a single track? Such as: 1 instance of FM8 with a patch, record a short idea, add plugin, and save. Then, move to another idea on the same track with a different patch, different plugins on the same track from 30-50 sec. Then another, etc..

Been using Save as but would like to keep them within the same project. I a guessing that there are a few ways that Motunation users do something similar and hoping to learn a new trick or two.
Thank you!
FMiguelez

Re: How to save short, multiple MIDI ideas.

Post by FMiguelez »

Clippings were born to do this.
It's easy to start your collection. Check out the relevant chapter in the manual. You'll be clipping around 5 minutes after that.

You can include anything in them... Audio tracks, aux tracks, their routing, their plugins, automation, empty space, etc.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Padank

Post by Padank »

Fantastic! Thanks FM! Going to the manual now-
Padank

Post by Padank »

I've been playing with clippings today. It is correct to say that to save a small section of the same MIDI track that I you must:
1) create a new song or sequence in the chunks menu.
2) set the beginning and end time.
3) drag this to the clippings window

At that point, as I am scrolling through ideas/sounds on that track how would I select the VI patch?
I have tried clicking and dragging.

I would like to find a way with fewer steps if possible. I am sure as I get used to this that it will seem more intuitive.
Thanks again!
P
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I wouldn't use Clippings to recall PATCHES from VIs. For that, I would use whatever facility the VI offers for recalling.

I'm almost sure that you would need to create a clipping with the full VI just for one track with the patch you want. So I think it's more efficient to use Clippings for track structure recall, and recall your patches from saved lists within your VIs.

This does work for plugins beautifully, though. So if you have a nice chain of plugins, and you want to save it, you can do so as a Clipping or directly from the mixer (same result).

But you listed too many steps to handle the Clippings anyway.
You don't need to create a new Song or Sequence every time.... All you have to do is simply make a Time Range selection with the tracks you want included in the clipping, and drag them (or use the command) to their clipping container.

That's it! 2 simple and quick steps for total power and flexibility.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman