copying presets from project to another

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cioto
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

copying presets from project to another

Post by cioto »

Hi, I have used DP for many years, anyway I still have some troubles when I have to copy presets.
Example: I record an album for a band, I create a project for each song.
When I start mixing, I create insert presets for each track and I can easily load them in the other projects, but I have to create manually:
- levels
- pans
- bundles
- sends
Is there a way to avoid this?
DP 8.04, MacBook Pro 2.2 Core i7 17" 8GB, RME Fireface 800 + Presonus Digimax FS (3x), Snow Leopard 10.6.8
HCMarkus

Re: copying presets from project to another

Post by HCMarkus »

A template?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Clippings and loading Chunks from a master template also works.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
cioto

Post by cioto »

can you please explain me the workflow?
Do I need to use a single project?
DP 8.04, MacBook Pro 2.2 Core i7 17" 8GB, RME Fireface 800 + Presonus Digimax FS (3x), Snow Leopard 10.6.8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If I'm understanding your approach and concerns, when mixing an album, start with your standard template (Tracks, inserts FX, sends and bundles set up as you normally work), modify to accommodate the particular tracks/style of music, and save as your "album template". Start each song from there. As you modify insert FX settings save each chain and use as appropriate when you move to the next song.

I almost always do one song per project, then combine into a mastering project once mixes are in the can if client needs mastering.

Does this help, or am I missing something here?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

cioto wrote:can you please explain me the workflow?
Do I need to use a single project?
Sure!

The idea is that you build a template to speed things up. Once you have it, you have at least 3 options to extract and use your desired "chains".

1.- You can start from your temlate
2.- You can load global or local clippings, which can be extracted from your main template
3.- you can use the Load command and load chunks from your template, which is very similar to #2

So the idea is that you create a new project from scratch. Put everything the way you like, including audio and aux tracks, plugins, track colors, bundles, I/O routing... Just leave everything the way you want to see it next time.
You will call this project your main "Template Project", which you can copy (the full DP project folder) and paste in a new location, and you will work from this copy. You can also leave it alone and simply extract #2 and #3 above.

Once you do this, it's a beauty to work like this. Everything will be the way you want for your new projects.

Obviously, if you forgot to add something, make a note of that, and implement it in your template, so that is always there. Your template will evolve with time, so be ready to always have it sharp, useful and clean.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman