Memorymoog Emulation?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Memorymoog Emulation?

Post by Rick Cornish »

I noticed a few people here who have MemoryMoogs (#jealous). I used to have a MM+ eons ago and loved it for what it did. Lately, I've been missing it more, and I'd love to find a VI emulation.

So far…
• NI Retro Machines claims to have MM samples, but they don't sound anything like my old MM+
• UVI Synths Anthology has nothing that sounds remotely like a MM
• SampleMoog for SampleTank claims to cover "Moog Modular systems to rare Minimoogs to Taurus™ Bass Pedals, Polymoogs, Memorymoogs and more". While I don't own SampleTank (which creates a bit of a price barrier), a few of the audio demos actually sound quite good to me.
• I Googled to a Kontakt instrument on SoundsDivine.com called "MM+" that doesn't sound that great to my ear and—at least from most of the audio samples—which seem to have been made for use in EDM of a few years ago. Only a couple samples were remotely interesting to me.
• Acoustica claims to bundle a MM emulation with a PeeCee sequencer called MixCraft Pro Studio. (I'll stick with DP, thank you very much.)

So—short of tracking down an old MM+, spending gazillions fixing and upgrading it, and then trying to integrate it into my setup for only very occasional use… is there a *decent* emulation out there somewhere?

From the published audio samples of the ones I've found, the SampleTank product sounds best… but maybe there are others I'm missing.

Your suggestions welcome.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Re: Memorymoog Emulation?

Post by mikehalloran »

Have you looked at memorymoon? $30

http://www.memorymoon.com/memorymoon.htm

This was done entirely in memorymoon. Not bad...

http://www.memorymoon.com/angora%20finished9.mp3

Damn – Windows only...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote:Damn – Windows only...
Interesting. Doesn't look as though the site has gotten a lot of attention lately. Some conflicting info on product availability (unless I'm reading it wrong).

Sounds aren't bad, but who can really tell from these demos?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

IK has a promotion through May 31, 2016. Buy any of the controllers on this page, get the full version of Sampletank 3 for free. Prices start at $59.99

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/st3controller/

If I didn't already have St3 and a decent controller, I'd be jumping on this.

Fully Loaded Workstation Promotion
Get SampleTank 3 — the full version — when you buy any iRig Keys, iRig Pads or iRig MIDI 2… a $/€349.99 Value!

Now get SampleTank 3, the ultimate sound and groove workstation, for free when you purchase an iRig Controller or iRig MIDI 2 from your local IK Retailer or from the IK Online Store. With 33GB of samples, 4,000 ready-to-play instruments, 2,500 rhythm loops, and 2,000 MIDI files, SampleTank 3 turns your Mac/PC into a full blown professional music creation workstation, and best of all you can get it for no additional cost — a $/€349.99 value! But act now, this promotion ends May 31, 2016.

SampleTank 3 is an industry standard sound and groove workstation that is easy to learn and easy to operate. Plus, SampleTank has all the “bread-n-butter” sounds you need to make your next musical masterpiece, no matter what the style. And while it already comes with a massive library of sounds, loops, grooves and MIDI patterns, you can add even more instrument libraries from the SampleTank Custom Shop Instrument Collections.

Which iRig product is right for me?

iRig Keys
Universal Keyboard MIDI controllers for iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac/PC

iRig Keys + iRig Pads Bundle
Includes iRig Keys and iRig Pads

$199.99
Buy Now...
NEW!
iRig Keys Pro
The full-sized-key universal mobile keyboard for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Android and Mac/PC

$149.99
Buy Now…
NEW!
iRig Keys
Universal keyboard controller for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Android and Mac/PC

$129.99
Buy Now…
NEW!
iRig Keys Mini
25 key universal mini keyboard controller for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Android and Mac/PC

$79.99
Buy Now...
iRig Keys USB
Keyboard MIDI controllers for Mac/PC or Android*

NEW!
iRig Keys 37 PRO
37 full-sized-key USB MIDI controller for Mac/PC

$99.99
Buy Now…
NEW!
iRig Keys 37
37 mini-key USB MIDI controller for Mac/PC

$79.99
Buy Now…
NEW!
iRig Keys 25
25 mini-key USB MIDI controller for Mac/PC

$59.99
Buy Now...
(*Android requires optional cable)
Other Qualifying Products

iRig Pads
MIDI groove controller for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and Mac/PC

$149.99
Buy Now...
NEW!
iRig MIDI 2
Universal MIDI interface for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad and Mac/PC

$79.9
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote:IK has a promotion through May 31, 2016. Buy any of the controllers on this page, get the full version of Sampletank 3 for free. Prices start at $59.99

If I didn't already have St3 and a decent controller, I'd be jumping on this.
I saw this a week or so ago. Might have to reconsider now.
Rick Cornish

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Just a heads up, as of a recent update Samplemoog can run in Sampltank Free. No need

I have a Memorymoog and Samplemoog, haven't messed with it much, but I'm about to fire up the studio, so I'll post back with my thoughts on how close or if IK managed to capture unique Memorymoog sounds etc. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah, no emulations except MemoryMoon. All others are sample libraries. But I recall someone announcing recently they're working on an emulation.

Sample library wise, IK's SampleMoog is pretty good, just as is SampleTron. I haven't used it in a project yet though so can't say how well it blends or mixes.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Michael Canavan wrote:Just a heads up, as of a recent update Samplemoog can run in Sampltank Free. No need

I have a Memorymoog and Samplemoog, haven't messed with it much, but I'm about to fire up the studio, so I'll post back with my thoughts on how close or if IK managed to capture unique Memorymoog sounds etc. :)
I'd be very interested to know what you think. Thanks!
Rick Cornish

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Canavan wrote:Just a heads up, as of a recent update Samplemoog can run in Sampltank Free. No need
Yes, Samplemoog through AudioDeluxe is $84.

Just a reminder that some of the qualifying products to get the full version Sampletank 3 for free cost as little or less.

And, if you don't really need the piece of hardware, there's always eBay or Craigslist.
Michael Canavan

mikehalloran wrote:
Yes, Samplemoog through AudioDeluxe is $84.

Just a reminder that some of the qualifying products to get the full version Sampletank 3 for free cost as little or less.

And, if you don't really need the piece of hardware, there's always eBay or Craigslist.
Is the Samplemoog library coming with Sampletank now? That's news to me if it is.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Pretty sure it's only excerpts, but the new way that data is organized in SampleTank 3 (within the GUI and on disc) makes it a bit harder than before, to verify the library source of samples and patches and to detect redundant copies (which I think are now avoided).

My guess is that they will be issuing updated and extended versions of SampleTron and SampleMoog directly for SampleTank 3 sometime later this year -- especially given increased competition for Mellotron in particular.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

No -- but I can see how it looks like I implied that it is. There is no bundle that I know of that includes Samplemoog.

My point was that while Sampletank CS (Custom Shop) is free, you can get Sampletank 3 full version for very little more this month—if any of it appeals to you. If the same deal was available for Miroslav2 instead, I'd be jumping on it (my daughter's birthday is next month) but it's not.

I posted a deal that AudioDeluxe has for the entire Total Studio Max for less than the normal price of St3 and Miroslav2.

Of course, we can all "deal" ourselves right into the poor house if we're not careful.

OTOH, her b'day is next month... wonder if she can use a MIDI interface for her iPhone... she doesn't have Sampletank... it works in Logic if I recall...
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

Sounds like a mission for the folks at Arturia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
Michael Canavan

VitcoMusic wrote:Sounds like a mission for the folks at Arturia.
Often wondered why it hasn't been emulated?
Rick Cornish wrote:I'd be very interested to know what you think. Thanks!
There are some good patches in there, I don't think they did enough stacked voice patches, or bass type sounds etc. but some decent pads etc. It's been a while since I loaded the factory sounds onto the Memorymoog so I couldn't tell you how close they got those right etc. but it's not bad. Personally I think they went overboard with Sampletank's built in FX and filter, but when you turn them off it has decent samples I think.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

VitcoMusic wrote:Sounds like a mission for the folks at Arturia.
Can they built in the oscillator drift and the need to periodically recalibrate to stay in tune? :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!