Memorymoog Emulation?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Memorymoog Emulation?

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote:
VitcoMusic wrote:Sounds like a mission for the folks at Arturia.
Can they built in the oscillator drift and the need to periodically recalibrate to stay in tune? :)
Thanks goodness I had the MM+ that had a button to re-tune the oscillators when they drifted. I could hit that thing with my eyes closed.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Michael Canavan wrote:There are some good patches in there, I don't think they did enough stacked voice patches, or bass type sounds etc. but some decent pads etc. It's been a while since I loaded the factory sounds onto the Memorymoog so I couldn't tell you how close they got those right etc. but it's not bad. Personally I think they went overboard with Sampletank's built in FX and filter, but when you turn them off it has decent samples I think.
Thanks for the detailed review, Michael. I'm very tempted to give it a try.

Oh boy! One more VI to learn....
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Memorymoog Emulation?

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:
James Steele wrote:
VitcoMusic wrote:Sounds like a mission for the folks at Arturia.
Can they built in the oscillator drift and the need to periodically recalibrate to stay in tune? :)
Thanks goodness I had the MM+ that had a button to re-tune the oscillators when they drifted. I could hit that thing with my eyes closed.
Haha. Yeah. Years ago I was in a band and the bassist also played keyboards and had a MM+. Loved the sound of that thing and I remember he periodically had to hit that re-tune button.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I have Memorymoon on my PC (bought it
years ago). Its rather thin and "sampled-
sounding". Filters arent authentic. I dont
think its worth purchasing and cant recommend
it.

That said, Gforce Minimonsta is a great
virtual minimoog, with a lot of added features,
one of which is that it can be polyphonic (up
to 8 notes, I think). So there's your Memorymoog
right there.

Arturia's Mini V can be put in polyphonic mode
so that's another virtual polyphonic Moog to
consider.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

David Polich wrote:I have Memorymoon on my PC (bought it
years ago). Its rather thin and "sampled-
sounding". Filters arent authentic. I dont
think its worth purchasing and cant recommend
it.

That said, Gforce Minimonsta is a great
virtual minimoog, with a lot of added features,
one of which is that it can be polyphonic (up
to 8 notes, I think). So there's your Memorymoog
right there.

Arturia's Mini V can be put in polyphonic mode
so that's another virtual polyphonic Moog to
consider.
The new version of the Mini V isn't as flexible in going into polyphonic mode as the now 'legacy' version. I mean there's the front panel switch to do the deed but there are some mono patches that don't seem to go into poly mode. It may be because I can't seem to find the control for the number of voices/notes the old version had; not sure.