track locking so can't edit

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

track locking so can't edit

Post by musicman691 »

I know one can lock tracks or soundbites along the timeline so they can't be moved but is there a way to lock tracks or soundbites so they can't be edited? Looking for this for a couple of reasons. One is so that I don't make changes to the wrong track; I know there's undo but what if I don't do an undo right away or there's something undo can't undo? The other is if I'm working with other people and send them a project I don't want them mucking about with certain things I've sent them.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: track locking so can't edit

Post by FMiguelez »

There's no way to do any of that in DP, I'm afraid.

You can not even lock tracks on the timeline against accidental moves.
The most you can do is put them back in their correct timeline (not track) by using the "Move Selected Soundbites to Original Timestamp" trick.
That's a far cry from what you want.
musicman691 wrote:I know one can lock tracks or soundbites along the timeline so they can't be moved
Not really... the little lock icon in the TO window is for tempo-related stuff only.
It works completely different from what you may be thinking.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

FMiguelez wrote:There's no way to do any of that in DP, I'm afraid.

You can not even lock tracks on the timeline against accidental moves.
The most you can do is put them back in their correct timeline (not track) by using the "Move Selected Soundbites to Original Timestamp" trick.
That's a far cry from what you want.
musicman691 wrote:I know one can lock tracks or soundbites along the timeline so they can't be moved
Not really... the little lock icon in the TO window is for tempo-related stuff only.
Thanks for the clarification.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote:
You just reminded me of a very quizzical day in the studio about 25 years ago. I was sure that "locks" must do exactly what Jack was asking for, so one day when a client wanted some complicated moves made, I thought "I'll just lock these tracks, then I can select the rest without worrying about editing them all." I spent the next couple hours wondering why things were not right, finding notes out of place, putting them back where they belonged, and such. This was the day before unlimited undo (you only got one chance to undo) and I had not saved directly prior to making those moves.

Geez, what a day. Jack, be glad FM told you how that worked before you found out the hard way! Where was this forum back in 1992? (actually, it may not have been that long ago, but probably in the same decade. It was probably right after the lock icon began appearing.)
:banghead:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|