Using Sends and Automation

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
anselm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Using Sends and Automation

Post by anselm »

I sm not highly advanced in the ways of mixing and I am constantly trying to figure things out. I have run into another one of those items that I have to figure out and I am here to get some help.

I am using DP 8.07 on a Mac Pro with 2x3.2 Intel processing and 20 GB of memory, OS X version 10.10.5.

I have a vocal track that has processing within the track. I want to add a delay at certain points that is affecting the dry vocal. I was attempting to do this by using the sends to an aux track with the delay processing the aux track. I tried to apply the effect with automation, first using the mute on the delay, and then using the sends on the vocal track. The problem that I have using the aux track is that it is applying additional gain to the vocal that I don’t necessarily want and I had to balance accordingly. In the first case, when the effect would become unmuted, the vocal track would lose gain (I don’t understand this). In the second case, bringing the sends in added gain to the vocals. I have concluded that I am doing this all WRONG. It doesn’t seem to me that using an aux track is the same procedure that is normally implemented on a mixer that uses returns.

Please, offer up any procedures or suggestions you may have, and excuse my ignorance . TIA.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Using Sends and Automation

Post by HCMarkus »

Turn mix control on your delay plug to 100% wet.