DP Control questions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP Control questions

Post by Timeline »

I was told DP Control is not compatible with the newest iPads so I'm wondering which iPads and screen sizes it is compatible with and wether it will work with DP8?

Also I don't find the download for control on MOTUs download section under DP so I wonder about that? Thanks in advance for the help.

Gary Brandt
Earth Island Records/ Timeline
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: DP Control questions

Post by James Steele »

Timeline wrote:Also I don't find the download for control on MOTUs download section under DP so I wonder about that? Thanks in advance for the help.
It is downloadable from the App Store. As far as compatibility, I think it's more dependent on version of iOS and/or OSX that you're using. I haven't used it in a while.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
billf

Post by billf »

Timeline wrote:I was told DP Control is not compatible with the newest iPads so I'm wondering which iPads and screen sizes it is compatible with and wether it will work with DP8?
The reliability of DP Control is sporadic at best when you can get it to work. As such, I've switched over to PT Control from Avid, which ostensibly is for Pro Tools, but for me it works great with DP and Logic on my iPad. Another alternative is an app named DAW Control, which seems to work with DP. But I haven't used it a lot yet, so I don't yet know how reliable it is in practice.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Thanks guys ...

I just decided to buy a Raven Mti2. With a remote mouse and this interface I think I can convert my large living room into a control room and mix in DP properly. I love mixing on Adam 2.5 near fields but you have to get away from monitors once in a while to hear the mix. I just bought a pair of large JBL vintage three way monitors and will be pleased to set them up while sitting on a nice couch and mix.
:) :-)

BTW its IOS 6 only that works with DP control I just found out. Thanks for your actual experience descriptions on DP control and recommendations. Looks like they need to make it work for ios 9 so we can buy pro iPads and really have a nice experience.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I liked DP Control allot, but MOTU seems to have abandoned it?

It worked better than the other solutions for me, and was easy to connect without going through allot of hoops.

I emailed MOTU about it and got no reply.

I think maybe their thinking is that this new fad of people buying these things called Apple IPhones really won't catch on with the general public?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
waxman

Post by waxman »

Timeline wrote:Thanks guys ...

I just decided to buy a Raven Mti2.
Let us know your experience with the Raven MTi2. I've had one since December. Love it!
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Will do. Do you know any company that will sell it at a discount? It seems I see it retail only everywhere on the item, even Sweetwater.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

You can try the "Anything you can do on the price for me?" in person/phone call friendly question approach. It's very low key yet often results in surprising discounts, evan from vendors one would never expect to discount their wares.

Cool news on the Raven, regardless of what you pay.

It certainly is beneficial to have a variety of monitoring options, isn't it?
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Nice thought HC. Your right. Can'r wait for my house refinance to finish up. Cheers, GB
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

billf wrote:
Timeline wrote:I was told DP Control is not compatible with the newest iPads so I'm wondering which iPads and screen sizes it is compatible with and wether it will work with DP8?
The reliability of DP Control is sporadic at best when you can get it to work. As such, I've switched over to PT Control from Avid, which ostensibly is for Pro Tools, but for me it works great with DP and Logic on my iPad. Another alternative is an app named DAW Control, which seems to work with DP. But I haven't used it a lot yet, so I don't yet know how reliable it is in practice.
Hey Billf, I just installed Pro Tools Control, and you're right.... it works pretty great with DP. Some things seem a little weird with it though. There are controls for viewing just Audio, or MIDI, or AUX tracks... but they don't work. You can only see your tracks when you have ALL selected. I need to do some more manual reading I think, unless you know the solution.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I've ordered raven Mti2. I'll get it in about a month. Cheers all... GB