Pan Control Question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Pan Control Question

Post by Rick Cornish »

Is it possible to create stereo mixer channels with true (dual-L & R) pan controls instead of a "balance" control (mis-labeled as "Pan Control" in DP)? I can achieve this control via a plug-in (like DP's included Trim or the free Flux StereoTool)… but then I lose the visual display of the assigned pan position when I close the plug-in window.

Is there a way to do this (maybe with some creative theme programming)… or should this be a feature request?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
bayswater

Re: Pan Control Question

Post by bayswater »

I assume the input is stereo; otherwise while the position of controls might differ, you should be able to do everything with a fader and pan control. If the input is stereo, maybe you could create a signal path using Pan or Trim and bussing to split the audio to two mono channel strips, and put them side by side in the mixer. E.g., Send to Aux with Pan to left, and bus to mono channel, another Send to another Aux with Pan to right and bus to second mono channel.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

bayswater wrote:I assume the input is stereo; otherwise while the position of controls might differ, you should be able to do everything with a fader and pan control. If the input is stereo, maybe you could create a signal path using Pan or Trim and bussing to split the audio to two mono channel strips, and put them side by side in the mixer. E.g., Send to Aux with Pan to left, and bus to mono channel, another Send to another Aux with Pan to right and bus to second mono channel.
Good idea. That would work for panning and signal flow, but it would double the number of inserts used as compared to a stereo track. Still, a workable idea when visible individual panning is critical.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, not ideal, but workable. You can usually come up with a signal path in DP to do what you want. I suppose it boils down to ease versus flexibility.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
SMS

Post by SMS »

This has bugged me for a while. At the very least, the label should say "Balance" on a stereo track. We need two pan controls on a stereo track. Pan and Width, or separate pans for L&R.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT