Digital Performer 6

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dpaulb
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Digital Performer 6

Post by dpaulb »

I can get DP6 at a great price. What is the max version OS X I can use? I have a '09 Mac Pro 2.66 quad with 16gb ram and ssd system drive. I'm thinking I could buy DP6 and then upgrade later to 9.
kassonica

Re: Digital Performer 6

Post by kassonica »

DP6 was was really buggy...

I'd go straight to 9...
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

OS 10.6.8 with Rosetta enabled is the last OS you can install and authorize DP 5.13, 6.03 and 7.23.

You can upgrade to El Capitán and all three should work (I didn't push it past Yosemite) but, if you had to reinstall DP, you have to go back to Snow Leopard with Rosetta to reinstall.

DP 7.24 is the earliest build that can be installed and authorized on OS 10.7 or later—it is no longer supported, of course, but I and others can verify it works over El Cap.

I am one of many who went back to DP 5 after upgrading to 6. If you can buy 6 for $25 or so and have the registered owner transfer it to so that you can use it to upgrade to 9 saving a few bucks, ok, why not? But it is best left in the box. Otherwise the best deal on DP 6 is to not buy it.

There are many crossgrade opportunities to DP from AudioDesk and Logic to nearly any pro DAW.

DP 5.13 was one of my favorite versions.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Assuming the person selling is the registered owner and is willing to deal with transferring ownership (not sure how that process works) and also assuming the upgrade path is financially advantageous, that works. I also would advise against installing DP 6. Not only was it a dog, it also changed some of MOTU's audio engine and that created major problems for me.

If you haven't already done so, try the demo version of DP 9. You can d/l it from their site. To quote Hendrix: Now if 6 were to become 9, well I don't mind. I don't mind.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dpaulb

Post by dpaulb »

Firstly, thanks to all who replied.
The price is $120 American. I wrote the seller and asked if the serial number is included and if the license is transferable (no reply yet). Since I am setting up a new system installing Snow Leopard won't be a problem so I can authorize it.

As far as cross-grading, I don't know if Cubase AI is eligible.

I know I will still come out ahead of paying full price.
MIDI Life Crisis

dpaulb wrote: I know I will still come out ahead of paying full price.
Or more! Personally, I'd just bite the bullet and buy it form MOTU.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Let's look it up and see.
https://motu.com/store_products/software/dp

Competitive Upgrade Offer
If you are an owner of a competing audio sequencer product, you can upgrade to DP9 for only $395 (a savings of $400 off list price). If you don't see your competing product on the list, contact MOTU customer service at +1 617.576.2760:

Acid
AudioDesk
Audition
Bitwig
Cakewalk (any version)
Cubase (any version)
Live
Logic (any version)
Nuendo
Pro Tools (any version except 'Free')
Reason (Version 6 or later)
Record
SONAR
SoundForge (any version)
Soundtrack Pro
Studio One
Tracktion
Vegas (any version)
Is your competing product not listed? Call +1 617.576.2760
During the purchase process, you will be asked for the name and serial number of the competing product that you own.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dpaulb

Post by dpaulb »

Thank you. I am new to this. I will call them and ask.
mikehalloran wrote:
Let's look it up and see.
https://motu.com/store_products/software/dp

Competitive Upgrade Offer
If you are an owner of a competing audio sequencer product, you can upgrade to DP9 for only $395 (a savings of $400 off list price). If you don't see your competing product on the list, contact MOTU customer service at +1 617.576.2760:

Acid
AudioDesk
Audition
Bitwig
Cakewalk (any version)
Cubase (any version)
Live
Logic (any version)
Nuendo
Pro Tools (any version except 'Free')
Reason (Version 6 or later)
Record
SONAR
SoundForge (any version)
Soundtrack Pro
Studio One
Tracktion
Vegas (any version)
Is your competing product not listed? Call +1 617.576.2760
During the purchase process, you will be asked for the name and serial number of the competing product that you own.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Am I missing something? If the dpaulb gets v6 for $120, then wouldn't the upgrade to v9 be $195?

That's $315 vs $395. If the license transfer is solid, that's an additional $80 savings.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

But if he buys it and the seller isn't the owner (i.e.- a bootleg) he's put that $$$ and still has to pay full price (or the crossgrade).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:But if he buys it and the seller isn't the owner (i.e.- a bootleg) he's put that $$$ and still has to pay full price (or the crossgrade).
Yep.

Also, if the previous owner upgraded to 7 or later, that copy of 6 would not qualify either. Our serial number remains the same no matter what version; only the key/authorization code changes.

If you purchase the crossgrade from a reseller, you get an authorization code only. Your serial number that entitles you to support and upgrades isn't generated till you register with MOTU by mail, fax, phone or email. Anyway, you have to include the qualifying product info at that time. MOTU used to supply an envelope in the package so that you could mail a page from the manual or other proof—don't know if they do that anymore.

If you purchase over the phone, you provide the info at that time and MOTU will register you on the call.
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Transferring ownership isn't a big deal. You just write motu and tell them you sold it to someone and tell the name of your buyer.

But yeah if the seller used it to upgrade than it is probably useless.

I am not so sure about 6. I skipped it because of the buggyness.

I purchased 7 for a very good price from a good ebayer. If I remember he got it in a bundle and didn't need it or register it so all legit.

I liked 8 better than 7. But 7 was ok for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD