Please explain Loops in the Waveforms Window.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
monogee
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Please explain Loops in the Waveforms Window.

Post by monogee »

Can someone please explain the purpose of Loops under the Waveforms Window. I've read the manual and it seems useless. I thought when setting the loops within an audio file you should be able to drag the loop to the sequence window.
Mac Pro (Early 2009), Processor 2x2.66GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
DP9 Ver. 9.5
David Polich

Re: Please explain Loops in the Waveforms Window.

Post by David Polich »

I don't use the Waveform Editing window in DP, so I can't comment on how Loops in the
window is supposed to work. I do believe, however, that you cannot drag a looped section of a
waveform into a track in the sequence window. You'd probably need to save that looped audio as
a new soundbite, and then drag THAT into a new audio track in your sequence.

This is because of how DP works with audio. Soundbites are independent of audio tracks. You
can drag a soundbite into any audio track once it is recorded, or imported. You can also delete a soundbite from an audio track without deleting the soundbite itself. A soundbite and an audio track are two different things.

Basically, the Waveform Editing window is an independent audio editor within DP. To edit audio
within an audio track, you would do that in the sequence editor, not the Waveform Editing window.
You could, for example, select a section of audio in a track and loop that section, without changing the soundbite itself.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
monogee

Re: Please explain Loops in the Waveforms Window.

Post by monogee »

Thanks for your help. :D
Mac Pro (Early 2009), Processor 2x2.66GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
DP9 Ver. 9.5