using resources from multiple macs

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dwilliams
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

using resources from multiple macs

Post by dwilliams »

I have a MBP. I'm getting a MacPro. How can I run plugins and VIs on my MBP via ethernet?
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
guitardood

Re: using resources from multiple macs

Post by guitardood »

There are a couple solutions I've tried to allow doing this and technically they work (Wormhole, FX-Max's Teleport), however in practice, they seemed to be more trouble than they were worth, especially because of the added latency of going over ethernet. I wonder if anyone else has had any better luck.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Most (all?) publishers are allowing 2—5 installations without making you purchase additional licenses just for this scenario. With iLok, this is not an issue.

Certain publishers used to allow one but recently started to allow three (I am blanking on who besides UVI). I have never had a problem asking for and receiving permission as needed.

With Thunderbolt, you can install your VIs on a remote drive that you can plug into either machine as needed but you need to have the licenses on each Mac.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

guitardood wrote:There are a couple solutions I've tried to allow doing this and technically they work (Wormhole, FX-Max's Teleport), however in practice, they seemed to be more trouble than they were worth, especially because of the added latency of going over ethernet. I wonder if anyone else has had any better luck.
As you say, it can be a lot of trouble if you don't want to spend the money on one of the apps that works it all out for you. I've used ADAT to move audio to a second Mac for plugin processing. It works, but you have to figure out how to manage the latency. In my case, I used a host on the second Mac that did latency compensation for the plugins it hosted, and worked out the entire round trip for that signal path. Then I routed the other channels that were not processed on the second Mac into and back and applied the same delay (using a sample count in AUDelay) to get the two signal paths to sync. The added latency was in the order of 250 samples, so not a big deal for mixing.

DP 9.1 is supposed to be able to deal with external processing, and AFAICT, it will do what is needed here.

A last comment -- when upgrading hardware, you might find that the processing power of the newer computer is so much greater than the old one, that little is added by networking in the old computer. In my case, I needed UAD plugins that are not available on my newer Mac, but otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

VE Pro
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

Thanks all. The VE Pro 5 does look very intriguing. I need to look into it in detail...
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

HCMarkus wrote:VE Pro
+1
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

dwilliams wrote:Thanks all. The VE Pro 5 does look very intriguing. I need to look into it in detail...
As far as I know, it's the best solution out there for running VIs and plugs on multiple machines. And, VE Pro now has a dedicated MAS plugin, letting you go beyond Apple's 16 channel MIDI limitation for AUs, per VE Pro instance.

At one time I was using 3 machines.. I've been able to get it down to one nowadays, but I still use VE Pro because it runs so many instruments so efficiently.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Killahurts wrote:At one time I was using 3 machines.. I've been able to get it down to one nowadays, but I still use VE Pro because it runs so many instruments so efficiently.
Too bad we don't have the DP update with more efficient processing to see whether VE Pro is still an advantage while the sale is still on. If DP makes the stated goal of doubling CPU efficiency do you think VE Pro would still be worth the cost and the extra setup time?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

bayswater wrote:
Killahurts wrote:At one time I was using 3 machines.. I've been able to get it down to one nowadays, but I still use VE Pro because it runs so many instruments so efficiently.
Too bad we don't have the DP update with more efficient processing to see whether VE Pro is still an advantage while the sale is still on. If DP makes the stated goal of doubling CPU efficiency do you think VE Pro would still be worth the cost and the extra setup time?
I've been asking the same question lately. For me, VE Pro is definitely working better on my single machine than DP's V-Racks did, but I'm hosting a lot of VI's, probably 3-4 dozen. My goal has been to eventually get everything into one machine with DP alone.. maybe the new promised update will deliver on that, but in the meantime..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.