New 3.1 Software Available for Raven MTi2 DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New 3.1 Software Available for Raven MTi2 DP

Post by waxman »

If you get the floating mixer stuck in the Bermuda triangle between screens use the spaces multi screen key above the #3. I use the HDMI on the Raven, I have an Apple Thunderbolt Cinema Display into a thunderbolt port. The third runs on a Tbolt to HDMI converter. I am on a MacPro with 6 Tbolts, 4 USB 1 HDMI. I also use a 8 channel USB hub.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

waxman wrote: For some people like Gravity Jim they just could not get it in their flow.
I didn't ditch it because "I couldn't get it in my flow." I ditched it because:

1. It didn't work. The "ready to go" version wasn't.
2. It's not ergonomic in any way. Clear to see why Apple hasn't supported touch.
3. I don't want an intermediate piece of software: I want hands-on control of the DP mixer.
4. I realized that if I just wait a year or two, others will do this much better.

Not trying to slag Slate - their plugs are pushing the Waves stuff out of the way as my first-grab plugs - but I didn't want to leave the impression that Raven is awesome but I just couldn't figure it out. I had it figured out in a day... it just wasn't awesome, IMO. When I can directly access the DP mixer, that will be different. Right now I'm using a Magic Touchpad in place of the Raven.

Also, there's no point in comparing Raven to an SSL Matrix, which does much more than act as a control surface.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
waxman

Post by waxman »

Gravity Jim wrote:
waxman wrote: For some people like Gravity Jim they just could not get it in their flow.
I didn't ditch it because "I couldn't get it in my flow." I ditched it because:

1. It didn't work. The "ready to go" version wasn't.
2. It's not ergonomic in any way. Clear to see why Apple hasn't supported touch.
3. I don't want an intermediate piece of software: I want hands-on control of the DP mixer.
4. I realized that if I just wait a year or two, others will do this much better.

Not trying to slag Slate - their plugs are pushing the Waves stuff out of the way as my first-grab plugs - but I didn't want to leave the impression that Raven is awesome but I just couldn't figure it out. I had it figured out in a day... it just wasn't awesome, IMO. When I can directly access the DP mixer, that will be different. Right now I'm using a Magic Touchpad in place of the Raven.

Also, there's no point in comparing Raven to an SSL Matrix, which does much more than act as a control surface.
So Jim I stand corrected. I should have said, "It didn't work for YOU." However for MANY others it works AWESOME...
Last edited by waxman on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I’m liking my Raven for the most part. Still getting used to work flows Still seeing some annoying little bugs, but nothing to get riled about. I will be filing some bug reports soon.
I love how response the guy is at the forum. They seem to really be enthused about their product.
Price was also a bargain.
I am intrigued by what Jim wrote about his belief that other companies will come in and make better versions. That could get quite interesting. Imagine if the make a full size, large format, piece of monitor/glass that’s bullet proof. One never knows when a true paradigm shift is going to occur. Always a fun ride.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
waxman

Post by waxman »

toodamnhip wrote:I’m liking my Raven for the most part. Still getting used to work flows Still seeing some annoying little bugs, but nothing to get riled about. I will be filing some bug reports soon.
I love how response the guy is at the forum. They seem to really be enthused about their product.
Price was also a bargain.
I am intrigued by what Jim wrote about his belief that other companies will come in and make better versions. That could get quite interesting. Imagine if the make a full size, large format, piece of monitor/glass that’s bullet proof. One never knows when a true paradigm shift is going to occur. Always a fun ride.
Just keep on using it man... I can't imagine working without the Raven at this point. The DP mixer follows the Raven floating mixer for hundreds of tracks 24 or 1 at a time. It's easy to follow.

I recently made another tweak. On the Raven screen use the DP mixer centered above the floating mixer with only the inserts and sends showing. Then open a window with the channel strip on the left or right for touch or mouse access. Whatever channel you highlight on the floating mixer pops up in the channel strip. I'm finding until the final mix that is all I need. That gives me room for 2 racks of Batch Command.

Then on the final mix I jump to the big mixer, use the icons, and have the DP mixer with everything but the faders on the screen above the Raven. Someday MOTU will probably come out with their own touch screen but for now the Raven is way out in front of everybody. I love it...
Last edited by waxman on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waxman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

waxman wrote:I can't imagine working with the Raven at this point.
I think you meant "without." :) I'm getting seriously interested in this. Seems like it's a better way to go than Mackie Control and I get the impression that the Artist Mix stuff has issues.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waxman

Post by waxman »

James Steele wrote:
I think you meant "without." :) I'm getting seriously interested in this. Seems like it's a better way to go than Mackie Control and I get the impression that the Artist Mix stuff has issues.

yah... that's it...
waxman
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

waxman wrote: Just keep on using it man... I can't imagine working without the Raven at this point. The DP mixer follows the Raven floating mixer for hundreds of tracks 24 or 1 at a time. It's easy to follow.

I recently made another tweak. On the Raven screen use the DP mixer centered above the floating mixer with only the inserts and sends showing. Then open a window with the channel strip on the left or right for touch or mouse access. Whatever channel you highlight on the floating mixer pops up in the channel strip. I'm finding until the final mix that is all I need. That gives me room for 2 racks of Batch Command.

Then on the final mix I jump to the big mixer, use the icons, and have the DP mixer with everything but the faders on the screen above the Raven. Someday MOTU will probably come out with their own touch screen but for now the Raven is way out in front of everybody. I love it...
I will indeed keep using it. Yes, I did notice that DP follows he floating mixer. Yet the main mixer it does not. I think iw ould also like DP to follow the main mixer. You will see some other suggestions at the Slate forum. As far as your prescribed technique, remember, I have a monitor sitting right above the whole Raven. So I sit my DP mix board in that monitor, and use the DP mix board to change mix modes, and group faders that I need. It is really nice.
I have put in a request to Slate to make the Slate mix board assignable so that tracks that are not next to each other, can be made to be next to each in the fader window, just like in DP.

I am sure we will talk more at Slate forums. I appreciate all your help man and I too am loving Raven. There are some bugs I am hitting with the custom icons now. They are writing at Slate forums. I am sure all the kinks will come out I am starting to feel a bit like a Slate tester with all the advise I am giving. Won’t be long till they love me at Slate as much as they “love” me here...lol....right James? :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
Wow you have been quiet during all the 9.1 hubbub. Glad to see you alive and well. I was almost going to bring up politics and religion to see if you’d come out and yell at me. I was worried man... :lol: :lol:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm not having much hubbub. 9.1 is quite usable for my needs.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

toodamnhip wrote:. As far as your prescribed technique, remember, I have a monitor sitting right above the whole Raven. So I sit my DP mix board in that monitor, and use the DP mix board to change mix modes, and group faders that I need. It is really nice.
Please Show us picts of this setup. Still trying to figure out how to fit them into my room.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
waxman

Post by waxman »

labman wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:. As far as your prescribed technique, remember, I have a monitor sitting right above the whole Raven. So I sit my DP mix board in that monitor, and use the DP mix board to change mix modes, and group faders that I need. It is really nice.
Please Show us picts of this setup. Still trying to figure out how to fit them into my room.
This link has a few pages of pics from various set ups...

http://slate.boards.net/thread/20/show-raven
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

In this DP mixer layout only inserts and sends are chosen. Adding the channel strip in the top left corner of the Raven screen made it possible to do mouse click Automation on/off and Record Automation on Batch Command one channel at a time. Seeing the automation on the channel strip instead of in the mixer resulted in more horizontal real estate. Enough to do 5 inserts and 3 sends along with the Floating Mixer along with 2 BC racks. By adding open plugin and close plug to BC buttons it makes the blue INS button redundant on the Raven channel strip.

This approach may give the Raven engineers some ideas for the soon to come DP "SKINNY MIXER" and options for buttons on the Raven channel strips. Currently DP 9.12 lumps record/mute/solo/automation into one choice that takes up a bunch of horizontal space. If MOTU would breakout the automation to a single choice that may be cool to have on/off/rec automation buttons on the Raven channel strip. If you could get 2 more added to the 4 and have latch and overwrite modes that would be my choice for both the Raven mixers.

This would allow swiping the automation buttons on off instead of one at a time when channel choice is made. Now it feels like the old days where you had to push individual buttons to put the board in automation. Which isn't the end of the world. I'm diggin' the Raven MTI2 more and more. Thanks Raven Team!

waxman